“A Pleasant Surprise in the N. 'Cuse / Cicero Area”

Sake Bomb Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 59 Restaurants in Cicero
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 January 2017

El Esposo and I were Christmas shopping, and by evening we were hungry, so we stumbled upon this little gem of a restaurant. We opted for a table across from the sushi bar, because 2 people going for Hibachi would mean we're stuck seated with 4 strangers, which could go either way depending on the temperament of your fellow guests. Besides--we love to people watch, especially on a first-time to a restaurant.

We were seated quickly and had a friendly and helpful young waiter (Jacob). We were a bit surprised they had Tom Yum on the menu for a soup appetizer, since that's a Thai soup we enjoy. It was one of the better Tom Yum soups I've had, and since it's a soup I not only make at home, but try at every Thai place we go to.

They had a mix of possible options--the sushi menu is one of the largest I've ever seen! We opted for two different rolls. They were beautifully presented, fresh beyond words and the salmon was melt-in-your-mouth delicious!

One of the funny things we noticed is that a local remodeling contractor (who is quasi-famous in Syracuse since he is featured in his own television advertisements) was "holding court" at the sushi bar, handing out the Christmas gifts to his employees and meeting with drywall subcontractors, moving off periodically to an open table and looking at plans. After the crew left, he and his major domo and their significant others settled down for their meals at the sushi bar. It became quite apparent as we watched him, and many of the customers that the clientele at Sake Bomb are repeat customers that management has come to know. Many stopped to say "hello" to the staff and were greeted by their first names. There were also quite a few families with well-behaved little ones in tow. Both those aspects give the place a homey-feel that is lacking in a lot of the restaurants in the 'Cuse area.

If we lived closer (we're about an hour to the south) I can see us going there at least twice a week! As it is, this has just jumped to "Our Favorite Sushi Restaurant" spot, and we'll be backs as often as possible!

Oh--btw, do go check out the bathrooms. They're REALLY nice. Whoever designed and built these did a great job in getting an upscale, high-end look. Who knows, maybe it was that local contractor? His business is right across the street....

1  Thank inthewoods2016
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sake Bomb Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

My hubby and i went to have a late lunch while finishing up Christmas preparation at Sake Bomb. We were greeted by staff and felt right at home. They have the best optional for the sushi lover and for the less adventuresome husband! He had a lunch menu hibachi steak and shrimp dinner. Wow, he was blown away! Fried rice great and the soup was different and yummy, not the miso soup norm, this was a mushroom broth that he enjoyed to the last drop. Did I say $12??? Yes!
As for me, the special rolls were unique and exciting but I chose the Adirondack Mountain, and mountain it was! Tempura shrimp and avacado roll, formed in a sweet circle with a mountain, not a hill, of sushi fish chunks lightly tossed with avacado and spicy mayo sauce, topped with roe and greens...did I say Mountain? Yup...soooooo amazingly yummy I am still dreaming about it nightly.
We plan to go back as soon as possible, or sooner. Did I tell you they have half off sushi on Wednesday? SHHHH, don't tell anyone because this is the best sushi secret in town, so this information is justbetween you and me, okay?

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

This place is great! The sushi is always fresh! The options are endless!! The service is always great too!!

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

Such a disappointing experience! Up until this experience tonight we have been regular clients of sake bomb. We had typically received significantly above average service on a normal basis. Tonight, our Hibachi chef was clearly brand new and did not perform ANY of the typical services that we would expect to see and which are kids really appreciate. The food was mediocre at best and and the Hibachi chefs level of service was horrible.

We took the time to express our strong disappointment and that we were up until this point regular clients to the manager and she would not take anything off of our bill for the poor service. She apologized for his newness and lack of experience, but would not do anything to offset our bill. I gave her the opportunity to go speak with the owner before she made the final decision and she said that she had already spoken with the owner, therefore I expect that from the top down the level of service must be terrible if you have any issues, which is when leadership really has the opportunity to either shine or brutally disappoint the client.

They have lost a client for ever!

1  Thank Biz_Builder
Reviewed 23 October 2016

The sushi here is good, however, I have never been here without waiting at least a half an hour to be served. One time we waited over an hour! Service is soooo slow! Also, I ordered a small, $4 roll and was charged $.50 for one squirt of eel sauce!