“If you like Mom and Pop Motels this is for you.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Miami Resort Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canandaigua
Miami Resort Motel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Canandaigua
New York
“If you like Mom and Pop Motels this is for you.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

The nicest part of Staying at the Miami is this.
A nice couple buys a run down Motel in a depressed economy and makes a go of it. These people are real Americans that had vision and are making it work. All too often thes gems are taken over and run into the ground. Not here, The rooms are being updated to better than new and with a real attempt at maintaining the charm of the original Motel.
Although there is more work to be done of which the owners are happy to discuss and actually ask how was your stay and what can be done to improve it. This was discussed over a plentiful complimentary Breakfast.
I made a few suguestions, nothing major at all. They actually listened and agreed. Everyone reviewing the Miami agrees when in Canandaigua and you want to be laid back and have fun while you stay stay here, I also agree... unless you prefer the bland cookie cutter Hotels that are plentiful in the area.
I will just have to make sure I reserve my room in advance with the popularity of the Maimi on the rise. Simply said we Loved this place and we will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11 which is the only room I know about. It was beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank wnyjim
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Milton, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at the Miami last year when we went down for the local horse auction and we stayed there again this month for the same event. I would highly recommend this motel for being one of the best values in the area. Very clean and comfortable. We had a Jacuzzi room this time and it was wonderful.

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality so it is really up to the individuals taste.
6 Thank BelleStar2
Canal Fulton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

The Miami Resort Motel is located in the Finger Lakes region of western New York' near the city of Canandaigua and the lake of the same name. It is located on US Highway 5&20 which was the main east / west road before the New York State Thruway was opened. The Motel was built in the early 50's as a vacation resort and was very popular in its day. As the Thruway siphoned traffic away from Route 5&20 the property fell on hard times and became badly deteriorated.

The current owners, Dennis and Valerie Calkins acquired the property about 10 years ago and started a room by room, inside out restoration. Each room was completely revamped and updated. Open corridors between buildings became double rooms and Jacuzzi suites; everything was done with an appropriate amount of 1950's Miami shtick, including the refurbished neon sign on the highway in front of the motel.

The rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean. Each is equipped with a small fridge and microwave and nicely appointed with retro furnishings and accents. Internet access and a light breakfast and coffee are provided at no charge.

The rooms are spacious, but not huge - remember this is a property built in the early 1950's. The rooms are quiet, road noise is minimal, but occasionally voices of people talking outside the rooms can be heard (bear in mind that this is a motel and each room door opens toward the parking lot - no interior doors or hallways).

Room rates are reasonable and affordable and a real bargain when compared to some of the local competition. Unlike many other properties, the Miami does not raise its rates in the summer season. The owners live on site and readily accessible - a big plus. Both Dennis and Valerie are excellent hosts and provide outstanding service as well as a warm welcome for their guests.

My wife and I grew up and lived in the Finger Lakes and still have family in the area. The Miami Motel has become our residence of choice for visits or vacations and will be for many years to come.

6 Thank Days-Trips-and-Tips
Rochester NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I bet we have driven by here a milion times, and NEVER seen it. THAT will never happen again! We were shopping out rooms to have a place to stay after an upcoming concert at CMAC, and I happened on the other Trip Advisor reviews...They are all SPOT on (except for the guy with sour grapes from Califiornia.....I don't know what his gripe was...) I called and spoke to Valerie and booked a room for the night of the concert, and asked on the spur of the moment if they had anything with a jacuzzi for Saturday night....They had one of the king Bungalows available, so I snapped it up. We got there, and it was like traveling back in time, in the BEST possible way. We walked into the little office, and had to hit a "page" button to get someone's attention....only sightly more modern than the old fashioned bells they used to have. LOLOLOL It wasn't long before Dennis came out to meet us. We signed the guest card (How many of us have EVER done that? I remember travelling with my parents and them doing it....) Then he grabbed the room key and walked us over to the little "bungalow" off to the side of the main motel. The Bungalows are actually a small building unto themselves, with four rooms....we found out later that two rooms are the king jacuzzi rooms, and two have kitchenette set ups....each room is a "corner" of the bungalow, and each room has a car port.....The room was actually a bit smaller than I expected, but absolutely charming, and IMPECCIBLY clean!!....our room had a bright red nearly neon 2 person settee, the outrageously comfortable bed with lots of cozy cuddly blankets and a retro zebra print faux fur bedspread...a LEAPORD print club chair and a charming bistro set with cheatah print on the seats LOLOL For some reason, all the animal prints worked. The area that used to be a kitchenette in this room was made over for the corner Jacuzzi tub. It had really nice Marble tiles on the floors and part of the walls, then what was probably "laminate" wood on the rest of the walls and the ceiling. The bathroom was on the other corner of the room, and was kind of cute with a new pedastle sink, and PINK tiles LOL The rooms are STRICTLY no smoking, but each of these bungalow rooms has a real cute little covered patio, so it's not really a problem for a smoker (like my husband) to step out the door to have a smoke. Amazingly, even though the motel is RIGHT on Rte 5 and 20 , there was VERY little noise, and we slept like babies.....When we checked out, we asked for, and were given a quick tour of some of the other rooms, including the smaller queen jacuzzi room I have booked for the concert in June. These rooms are cute, and a FUNKY throwback to the 70's or further back...BRIGHT lime green paint in one room and bright tangerine paint on the other, with all the little funky accessoriess to tie in. TOO fun!! I can't WAIT to check back in, in June.....and just maybe I might need a "jacuzzi night" before that.......I think I'll keep Valerie and Dennis' number on speed dial, just in case...

3 Thank LPCARC1999
Penn Yan, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I am from the Fingerlakes area and rent a jacuzzi room 2-3 times a year to pamper myself. I saw all the reviews here, the pictures of the retro rooms, and thought...I will find out for myself. I know what this place used to be like! I stayed in the King jacuzzi bungalow. I was impressed. I was shown to my room. Ice was brought to my door. The room was very clean and the decore is just fun! The bed was huge and so comfortable. The jacuzzi area is the best I have found in the area. They supply plenty of towels in the jacuzzi area, and even a wine rack if you chose to use it! The television turns so you can watch from the bed or the jacuzzi. I had said I was going to stay in the room until I left so they set me up with coffee, fruit and biscotti for morning. Not just one cup each....you can make a few pots! If you are looking for something to ding them on...ummmm...there is a few cracks and chips in the tiles in the bathroom. Did I mention the '60's pink tile in the bathroom? It is so 1965...gotta love it! I have never gone back to the same hotel/motel for a get away stay...I will be going back here!

Room Tip: spend the extra few dollars for the jacuzzi rooms ...well worth it!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank PamperMeplz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canandaigua
3.9 km away
2.4 km away
Super 8 Canandaigua
Super 8 Canandaigua
#5 of 12 in Canandaigua

Been to Miami Resort Motel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK