“Fantastic, It is worth a short trip. The only real stuff in NYC.Don't expect Fancy”
Review of Taqueria Tlaxcalli

Taqueria Tlaxcalli
Ranked #68 of 1,318 Restaurants in Bronx
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 16 June 2017

We decided to try this place after reading the reviews. We were extremely pleased. Great actual Mexican Food!. Far from fancy or glitchy but it is the real stuff. They do speak excellent English contrary to some other reviews. Expect to take food home. We over ordered our meals. Burritos were excellent. Great Margaritas even have a choice of different Tequillas,
Hopefully you can find a space on the side streets. Traffic is like New Delhi or Kabul. Nearby stores are very interesting even for a old time New Yorker.
Oh!!! Must get the Glacamola the best

1  Thank Bill T

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

A friend and I were looking for a Mexican restaurant and there are not of options that we knew of in the Bronx, especially the east Bronx, where there are far too many chain restaurants and very few really interesting individual ones.
In any case, we found Taqueria Tlaxcalli, a tiny little place, not far from the Castle Hill #6 subway stop.
What a wonderful surprise! The waitresses, most of whom spoke very limited or no English, were nonetheless charming and attentive. There was, however, a young woman (Rosa) who seemed to be in charge and her English was completely fluent.
We ordered guacamole and were asked how we wanted it. My friend picked very spicy, I chose mildly spicy, with only cilantro and lime. When they were served (in charming 'stone' dishes on a colorful mat), they were just as we requested.
For the main course, we each ordered three tacos--fish (not fried!), goat barbacoa, steak, and chicken. Delicious! The only glitch is to be sure to order the tacos with 'dressings', such as sour cream, salsa verde, etc. or they will be somewhat dry...they do not automatically put these things on unless you request them. The young men in the 'kitchen'--it is like a diner set-up and you can watch, if you want--are very skilled in Mexican cooking.
Finally, for dessert, we shared an unbelievably tasty coconut flan.
The atmosphere is simple, but charming, and it is very small. I suspect it is more of a lunch place (although they do serve breakfast and dinner), but I'm sure the food is good anytime.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

A treasure of authentic Mexican food. Served with style and smiles. This is a little dynamo of a restaurant. Serves up delicious tacos, street tacos 'alambre' and delicious wet burritos. Great place for foodies to try. Amazing place!

Reviewed 11 October 2016

I tried to order 2 margaritas and with much surprise I was told by the waitress that they had stopped serving them for the night. I asked why and she replied she didn't know, maybe they finished the tequila. It really sounded weird to me as I could see other customers drinking Margarita, but I was hungry and I decided to stay anyway. After 15 minutes I see the girl at the bar making margaritas, so I thought what the hell? I called the waitress and I asked her why she didn't want to give us the Margarits she replied that she didn't know they might have started serving them again and she would ask the owner the permission to give us 2 for free, which I think it is the minimum she could have done. After another 15 minutes she got back to us saying the owner didn't agree and if I want I can have them now but I have to pay... I was very pissed off and I said no. Finally, when we finished she came and gave us 1 free Margarita to share as a great courtesy!
I have been in the restaurant business and I went out of my way trying to make my customers happy but here instead they went out of their way to make us unhappy. This is a totally and unacceptable unprofessional behavior and the fact that the food was okay is completely irrelevant. The Bronx is famous for Mexican restaurant and you can find good Mexican food basically everywhere, hopefully with a better service than this one.

1  Thank Rogerpilly
Reviewed 15 September 2016 via mobile

I read about this place from thrillist. It was mentioned as one of the best burritos in the US. It placed I. The top five and to my surprise it was nearby. The place is tiny and you could easily pass it by. But once inside it was small, but a warm feeling from the staff. I like small places with amazing reviews. Aside from the nearly impossible parking outside, the burrito came through with flying colors. It was big, and well stuffed. Flavor was awesome and the hot sauce I asked for it on the side. I wanted to taste this before anything was added to it. The hot sauce was a smooth heat and was really good. It did not burn my mouth. The burrito presentation was excellent also. So, for the burrito hunters on the quest for an awesome one can stop here.

2  Thank Theresden