“Good Stay, Avoid Breakfast Buffet”

Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
Patchogue, New York
“Good Stay, Avoid Breakfast Buffet”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Overall, the town of Binghamton is devastated by the floods they had last year. Be prepared to see lots of boarded up buildings, torn up roads and sidewalks, and an overall gloomy air over this town. FEMA came in and declared it a disaster area. Businesses are starting back up, though, and the town could certainly use some visitors to spend some money there. That being said, the hotel was recently remodeled, clean, and had friendly staff. We stayed here on points and had a very large suite. It was clean and spacious with a nice view of the river. Overall, it is still just an average hotel, though. There are not many restaurants in walking distance, but we did find a brewery just a block up from the hotel. It had good beer and average food. Small menu, but they just opened two months ago. The hotel's bar had very good food, and service was okay. Breakfast the next morning is where my issue is with this hotel. We walked into the restaurant and were seated and told that our server would be with us and that we could start on the buffet when we were ready. After waiting for the server to greet us and bring our water and coffee for five minutes, we decided to get up and get food. We came back to the table, and the server still did not come. We still had no water or coffee as we ate. The food at the buffet was not good. Soggy sausage patties, thick scrambled eggs, burnt bacon, and stiff French toast. We were seated right behind the hostess stand, and were shocked to hear the hostess offer menus to the next guests who came in! We would have loved to order off of the menu had it been an option that was given to us! My husband finally asked a random waitress to bring us water and coffee, and she did. The breakfast ended up being free because they had given us a coupon as Priority Club members, and I'm glad it was because the buffet and service was terrible. The servers were all very friendly; however, it seems that it is a training issue more than anything else. Overall, if we were in Binghamton again we would stay here, but have learned how to better handle our dining experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kristina K
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your service experience at the Holiday Inn Binghamton. We are aware of some of the challenges with our restaurant service and are working hard to change that. Your comments regarding the experience of your stay were positive as we strive for a friendly staff! If your travels bring you back to Binghamton, please stop in and say hello and I will show you the improvements in our restaurant service!! Bob Greene, General Manager.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Levittown
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was not our first stay here. There were problems with check in before but nothing like this. Reservation was made Monday, March 19, 2012, and we informed the reservation staff that we were priority members and needed a room early afternoon as we were there for an immediate family member viewing and funeral. We arrived Tuesday 3/20/12 at 1:00pm and were informed no rooms were available. We returned at 2:45pm and the room they provided had a temperature of 80 degrees. We turned the air conditioner on and only hot air came out. My husband checked with the front desk and the offered two fans and to open the windows. This would not do as I have asthma. I inquired at the front desk how long the air was not working and they refused to respond until I pushed the issue. (There was no way that room went from cool to 80 degrees in 2 hours). The response was they are working on the problem. Again no answer, I demanded to know how long the air was truly not working. The staff finally came clean….he truth was the air conditioning in the building did not work since the prior Friday…. To us that is deceitful and unethical behavior not to inform a guest that the facility was not working properly and then to cover it up upon our 1:00pm arrival and when we made reservations. My husband insisted they find us another hotel for us and our sister and brother in law (brother in law has a serious heart problem and needs air condition). There was no compensation for the trouble they caused (you would think they would pay at least for the first night). My husband missed the first hour of his sister's viewing (just added more to the emotions he already was experiencing). This hotel did nothing but add more burden upon burden. All this could have been avoided if they were honest when we booked the rooms and when we arrived. To top this off, when I was inquiring at the front desk the owner of the hotel was behind me and did not have the courtesy of speaking to me personally about this issue. I do not recommend this hotel based on their lack of honesty, lack of professional and definitely unethical behavior. We will never recommend staying here. This is just no way to service the public or anyone. Ratings based on all stays

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BabeZ18
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
BabeZ18,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the air conditioning issue you experienced. We did indeed have a problem that took a couple days to completely repair. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Ben J
IHG Care
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife, our dog, cat and I drove up to Binghamton from Hampton, VA to take care of some business with the NYS DMV. After our ten hour drive up we were greeted very warmly by the front desk person on duty named Terrance. Terrance must have seen that I was completely exhausted and as he noticed we were Priority Club Platinum members and upgraded us to a suite at no extra cost. I didn't even have to pull out my IHG card which I've had to argue with some front desk people in the past. I mentioned that we had to pay for our dog and cat and I was told "Mr. Harter, your animals are staying with us on the house." I was dumb founded! It's normally $35.00/per night, per animal. Terrance was a God send! He also handed us a couple of bottled waters and drink vouchers for the hotel bar, free of charge. The suite was gigantic and fantastic! My wife and our "kids" felt right at home. And if they're happy, I'm happy! We can't wait to return the Holiday Inn in Binghamton again soon!

Room Tip: If you're not an IHG Priority Club Rewards member sign up free right now!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This hotel has a nice entrance and seems more upscale than some Holiday Inns. The rooms are just ok but very clean. Not a lot as far as good restaurants within walking distance, some sketchy things around corner but overall was good for what we wanted. There is a bar and restaurant within hotel so you don't have to leave. Found a good Italian resataurant over river. One thing I didn't like was coming back to our room and finding it open......maids had been in and forgot to lock. Not happy about that. Did get new keys and apology but not really anything to make us feel good about that. Overall the people were nice and other than the big open door incident everything was ok.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel as it is guests like you who can offer an insight on staying here. There are some terrific restaurants close by the hotel within walking distance. The Lost Dog Cafe is two blocks up and does a terrific job. J Michaels Italian restaurant is a couple of blocks away and is excellent. My favorite, Remliks, is a short drive, 5 minutes, and by far it is the nicest restaurant in town! Thanks again, Bob Greene, GM.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I recently had an encounter with a gentleman at the front desk of this hotel that was more than willing to help me out with a dilemma. I have been a Platinum member with IHG for approximately 4 years and rarely encounter an individual that is so willing to help. This gentleman, Terrance Brodley helped me and ensured that I was taken care of in a fast, respectable manner. Kudos to him!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words about Terrance!!! I have posted your comments as an inspriration for everyone here who lives and breathes excellence in guest service. Coming from a Platinum Member makes it that more special!! Bob Greene GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binghamton
0.5 km away
6.1 km away
Quality Inn & Suites Binghamton
6.0 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal

Been to Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK