Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown
US$ 57
Grand Royale Hotel(Binghamton)
US$ 158
Hotwire.com
All reviewsfront deskrestaurant staffroom was very clean and comfortablechenango riverbusiness tripking bedplenty of parkingindoor poolfriday nightone night staymariamarenadumasmattserverweddingbing
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I went to visit a guest at this hotel. The room was nice and everything seemed clean. However the inside of the coffee maker was absolutely disgusting. It was sitting up high so my friend noticed it as he was getting ready to make coffee. I am much shorter so if I had made it I would have been drinking that filth. That is my only complaint. I would have complained to management if it was my room. So take me advice, check!! I will never again make coffee in a hotel room without looking inside! On a positive note, breakfast in the hotel restaurant was excellent and quite inexpensive.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Noisey, inside the rooms with other guest banging and outside with fire trucks and police sirens. Staff was really nice but hotel was just old and parking lot was always over full until after 6-7pm.

Room Tip: If you do stay best ask for a river side room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

I certainly apologize for the noise outside of the room. On weekends there are more noise issues then weekdays, with the entertainment strip of bars with-in a two block walk of the hotel. We are working with the Binghamton Police Department to help improve the situation. The bottom line for me though is when I travel, I like a good night's sleep. Bob Greene, General Manager.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Good location just across the street from the Arena. Room was clean but unremarkable. The bathroom was small and the shower curtain was short, barely long enough to reach inside the tub. Did not visit pool, but was told there were LARGE roaches around. Coworker mentioned ant problem in room (something sticky under TV) but was given another room. Hard to find food within walking distance after 9pm on a Friday night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us this past month. We had replaced almost all of our shower curtains that were too short for the tubs, and it appears we misssed your room. The State Street corridor is two blocks away and they serve food later then 9:00 pm on the weekends, If your travels bring you back to Binghamton I would love to say hello and meet you. Bob Greene, General Manager

Reviewed 10 January 2012

This hotel wasn't bad for a holiday inn: the location is right off of Court Street in downtown Binghamton. There are several restaurants nearby and the Arena is on the other side of the parking lot (if you are in town for an event happening there). We stayed there for 2 nights in a room with a King bed that was clean and everything worked properly in the room. On the one night that we ate at the hotel restaurant, we were the only diners in the entire dining room at 7pm on a Friday night. The food was hot, if clearly made from frozen (fish and chips), and the salads had decent, fresh greens. Not terrible food at all, but you can do much better at a lot of places nearby.

We visit the area regularly but this is the first (and last) time that we'll stay at this hotel. For the price (or a bit less), you can stay at equally nice places just a short drive away on the other side of the river. Those places also have the added bonus of permitting you to actually be able to sleep at night. On both nights that we were at the Holiday Inn on Hawley St. we didn't get more than 2-3 hours of sleep. One of the main advantages for us in staying there in the first place (proximity to downtown) turned out to be a big problem. The first night we were there we woke up to the sound of a huge crowd of people yelling and carrying on around 1am. It's hard to describe and I really wish I had shot some video on my phone. Looking out the window we could about 60-80 people in small groups from the parking lot of the hotel to the parking lots nearby. They were all clearly, rip roaring drunk. This went on for over an hour before the cops showed up. For the next two hours (seriously - I timed it - I was awake anyway) the mob basically flowed back and forth, dispersed for awhile and then came back, while anywhere from 2-4 BPD cars drove around announcing at top volume on their PA systems 'Come on guys - you need to go home or you will be arrested.' Really?! Everyone finally left by around 4am. Unbelievably, pretty much the same performance was repeated the next night ... just without the cops showing up. We were up for hours just listening to the sounds of groups of extremely loud people stumbling around in groups in the parking lots outside the hotel, shouting, yelling, and fighting with each other until around 4am. If you think that escaping the mayhem is possible by staying on the other side of the hotel (away from the arena) don't believe it. The other couple we were traveling with stayed on the other side of the building (same floor) and it was just as loud for them AND their window was broken and didn't quite shut all the way.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank RiverCityMan

I have read your comments many times. I know when my wife and I travel and there's outside noise, were not happy. We have been working with the City of Binghamton's Police Department and Mayor's office to work out a solution to the noise problem. After last call in the strip of bars, the patrons come out and can cause trouble. We have recoemmended the police station somebody at that corner so when the patrons file out, they may be on better behavior. Currently, the police arrive when their is chaos, and then try to fix it. Please contact me at 607-722-1212, and I will invite you back as my guest. Bob Greene, General Manager.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed here the weekend of 10/22/11 for a wedding. The refurbished lobby greets you, as does the friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff.

Our room was clean and comfortable, though other members of the wedding party complained of air conditioning issues. The bathroom, though clean, is a bit dated, with a clumsy toilet flush mechanism (the button in the center of the top of the tank), and there is no bathroom exhaust fan, so the windows to the outside got steamed everytime anyone took a shower.

I will say that, though I will stop short of using the dreaded "bed bug" phrase, there was a small spider in the bed the morning we checked out. I don't think this is a huge deal, and again, I wouldn't declare this as a bed bug infested hotel by any means.

The hotel does have a bar, so that's a plus. Kind of a cool set up too, so it's a good place to stop for one if you're waiting for others in your party.

We did the "breakfast in bed" option in the room. You fill out the card to tell them what time to bring it in the morning, and they bring it (to the exact minute in our case) for about $7 a plate. Really can't beat it. The breakfast itself was mediocre, but certainly worthy of $7 if you're in a pinch for time.

The hotel is only about a block and a half from the college bar scene. I recommend Dillinger's if you're looking for a place to go.

Again, overall this was a decent stay. We didn't experience the issues that others in our party did, and the hotel isn't without its faults, but it's in a good location, and you really could do worse for the money.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor, facing the river. Kind of a cool view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple