“very basic”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Mahomet, Illinois
“very basic”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Room was fairly clean. Staff was friendly enough. Hallway was stuffy with slight musty smell. Motel did noty supply shampoo but did supply a small soap.

Next time we will probably stay across the street at one of the other hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eciba
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Malvern, Arkansas
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Driving to Flagstaff from Arkansas, we crossed OK and TX into NM before we found a place to stay the night. We had stayed in Tucumcari before on a trip to Angel Fire NM, so we knew a little about the place. We took the first exit and stopped at the Super 8 to check the rates. We were surprised at the affordibility. Plus they informed us of the free breakfast, and wi-fi. So we took a room.
Now the non-smoking rooms are in a building by themselves, which I thought was a good idea. The only problem was that the building was so far away from the front office, I couldn't pick up the internet in my room. I had to drive a little closer to the office to pick it up. But other than that the room was in excellant shape, with a couch and fridge and microwave and a nice size tv. And I slept like a baby in the king size bed.
Very nice stay at a nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank johnscotth

Travellers are raving about these Tucumcari hotels

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Around 50. or so for the night. Not 'pristine' but not dirty either. Was very comfortable and able to park right by my window. Can't complain about anything. The evening clerk was very welcoming. The Internet worked great. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Rdqueen
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Reading previous reviews I was terrified. The place is old but I didn't have any of the experiences as bad as previous posters. The hallway was a bit warm and musty but generally, the room was okay- just extremely basic. TV was basic, reception iffy at times. No scorpions, bugs. Kids did swim in the indoor pool with no complaints. It's just really old.

One thing I can say was the front desk agent was extremely pleasant and helpful.

I am choosing recommend because there just wasn't enough to complain about and the front desk agent was so nice and helpful. However, it just wasn't great enough to make me go back unless nothing else was available.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mota73
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 July 2009

The hotel didn't look bad from outside, the lobby was very nice. I found out that the when I made the reservation online, I accidentally selected a smoking room, I asked to see if I could get non-smoking, and they could accomodate me, but only if I would agree to a double-bed or one queen, as they didn't have any non-smoking with two queens left. Because I couldn't go with a one bed room and we had already done the two double beds with terrible results, I decided we'd have to stick with what we had. We got to our room and it was only a few doors down from the indoor pool, which from the outside, looked very inviting. There was decent parking and it was pretty close to our room. The hotel itself was incredibly hot and suffocating in the hallways. The smell of the room hit us as soon as we opened the door, it was awful! I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to stand it. Got the air going of course the kids had to try out the bathroom right away, which ended up being a good thing. We soon discovered that the toilet didn't work at all!!! I went up front to talk to the clerk to see if I could remedy the situation. The clerk was on the phone with someone, I assume her manager or someone and I waited at the desk, and waited, and waited, and then I went and had a seat in the lobby and she finally acknowledged me stating that she would be with me in a few minutes. I waited while she finished her conversation, which was more important that what I needed, and then she offered her assistance. I told her that the toilet was not working and that the smell was probably more than what we could take and asked again if she couldn not accomodate us to another similar room, she reiterated that she had nothing else available except the double bed room, and then she said she might not be able to get maintenance to fix the toilet so would we be willing to move, I agreed, but thankfully they were able to get the toilet fixed in a relatively short amount of time. She also gave us a bottle of air freshener to spray in the room to alliviate some of the smoke stench, it didn't really work, though. After going across the street for some dinner, we decided to try out the pool. For being an indoor heated pool, it was actually ice cold! It would have been perfect for the kids, it was a small pool and went from 3ft to 4ft back to 3ft, but it was way too cold to be in for more than a few minutes. We were a little disappointed. The "free wi-fi" was not easy to use, it took about 20 minutes to actually get connected and they didn't have any special passwords or anything, they just had a bad connection, I think. The breakfast was nice for the kids, they got some cereal and we got on the road. Overall the room was like a closet the hotel, with the exception of the lobby, smelled funky and gross. And I definitely recommend staying away from the smoking rooms if you do not smoke.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family