“Don't judge a restaurant by it's outside or inside either.”

Leonel's Fresh Tamales
Ranked #63 of 135 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 9 June 2016

We stopped by for lunch and decided to have the beef taco plate that included Spanish rice with corn, refrained beans, 3 taco's and a sopapilla. My wife had a relleno burrito. The burrito was good as well as the chile inside. The taco's were great, rice was some of the best I've had and to sopapilla was excellent.
A under visited gem of a place.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank IowaJim2015

Reviewed 9 January 2016

Leonel's Tamales are one of the best I've had in many years, after moving away from Las Cruces, NM. I've made them twice and it's just too time consuming. Their Gorditas are awesome too. Since I've been in Taos since November 2016, I've eaten at Leonel's more than any other Mexican restaurants, even though I've tried quite a few but won't name name's. Jan. 2016

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 8 January 2016 via mobile

I love this place in Taos. I always get the same thing - cheese enchiladas/green. But everything I see coming from the kitchen looks and smells delicious! I never get a good picture because I am too ready to dig in when the plate arrives at the table!!

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 16 October 2015

These tamales are home made and for just a couple of dollars apiece are OK. They are not very large nor do they have a lot of meat filling but they are more than a great gob of corn masa wrapped in a husk that some places sell.

The Google map shows their location at the wrong end of Taos. The restaurant is on the south side next to Baskin-Robbins and across the street from Burger King.

Date of visit: October 2015
1  Thank SWVagabond
Reviewed 13 August 2015

The four tamale choices - pork/red chili, chicken/green chili, vegetarian, sweet - great quality and good to take out frozen. Worth the stop for stocking up the vacation home.

Date of visit: August 2015