Mabel Dodge Luhan House
  • Pool
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
Good 3.5/5
All reviewswilla catherthe main housedennis hoppersteeped in historysolarium roomclaw foot tubtwin bedsperiod furnishingsdh lawrencenew mexicogeorgia o'keeffecarved doorsb bno air conditioningits heydaysurrounding mountainswi fi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I came upon this hotel when I was desperately searching online for a place to stay in Taos, NM on Memorial Day weekend. I had left it to the last minute and made a reservation the day before. I really didn't know what to expect based on the previous reviews but since we had little choice, we decided to take a chance. What an amazingly pleasant surprise! The Mabel Dodge Luhan house is a beautifully preserved and wonderfully unique old inn. It is true that it lacks some of the amenities of other chain hotels (TV, in-room internet) but what it lacks in these areas, it more than makes up for in others. Charming decor, large, comfortable rooms with private baths and lovely little kiva fireplaces, romantic outside courtyards, and a gourmet breakfast that is beautifully served....these things (and more) made the two nights we spent here the highlight of our two week excursion to Colorado and New Mexico. I will definitely be returning and will be recommending this hotel to my friends and family. If you want a truly unique "Taos" experience and you aren't afraid of interacting with fellow travelers...this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Website doesn't do it justice!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alisonchristian37
Reviewed 9 February 2011

wow. feel like this place was made for me as a writer. the labyrinth was wonderful to walk. loved reading in the rainbow room at night. breakfast was yummy, conversations amazing. this place seems to attract really unique people. what a special gift, what a sacred blessing. thank you.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank pdxwriter74
Reviewed 22 January 2011

This was my first trip to Taos, so I relied heavily on reviews from previous travellers thanks, everyone! I spent two nights there with my mom and we explored the area. I found this place to be relatively close to the Plaza area, but remote enough that we weren't bothered by many town sounds. There were some barking dogs during the night, but they did not keep me up; I had some of my best sleep there! We did have to carry the luggage up some stairs to get it from the parking lot to the room; I am from sea-level and was quite affected by the higher elevation, so be warned and make it in small trips if you're not acclimated.
The room we had was comfortable and simple - but with its own character. With the firestarter kit available through the House staff, we attempted to light a fire in the kiva flreplace, but it refused to take - curse my firelighting skills! The heating for the room worked very well - which was good, since we woke up to heavy frosts in the morning. We met up with another couple that we'd met earlier that day in Santa Fe, and together had a chance to explore other rooms in the house that were not being used! Fun!!
The breakfast buffet was amazingly good, and varied with each morning. They were kind enough to also have baked goods out for travellers in the evening for snacking, along with tea and coffee.
This would be a difficult place to stay if you rely on your connection to television, telephones, and wi-fi, since there are not any in the rooms. It is however a great place for connecting with people from all over, and to catch your breath from the fast pace of the rest of the world. If you have the chance to visit, be sure to walk the maze that they have created there!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2011

New Years Day was cold. We made reservations and specifically asked if our room would be cozy and comfortable, however contrarily, when we arrived it felt like an ice box. Our search for heating, blankets, information, fire making materials was non existent and resulted in pure dissapointment. We had to walk back in the freezing cold to the main house for the emergency number. Once again, there was no information in the room to be found, a dissapointing first for all my B&B stays. There was no wood, no matches, no kindling. The radient heating made the room a mere 2 degrees warmer in three (3) hour time frame!! It was freezing and when we called the on call emergency line, it took the man 2.5hrs to respond. Although he was nice and got us fire making materials (three hours after our initial phone call) we were so exhausted by that time to even want to attempt a fire. All evening we remained in our jackets, under covers chivering and uncomfortable. When we complained (nicely) in the morning to the lady at the front desk, she was dismissive. They charged us holiday fees, which resulted in more money out of our pocket, but our stay was completely unpleasant. The breakfast buffet was marginal. The B&B offers great potential because of the views, historic and nice architecture, but the management style is lacking. People pay good money for a warm cozy feeling, friendly hosts and a great breakfast...something that was definetely not acquired during our stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2011

First, The Good: If you are interested in historic pueblo architecture or the Lujan legacy in Taos, you should enjoy the architecture and some of the decor. We were there just after Christmas and the lounge areas were wonderful with fires in the kiva fireplaces and a lovely big Christmas tree. The dining area and kitchen are also very attractive, with delicious snacks and fabulous breakfast. But The Bad overcame the above: after a three-hour ride and hauling our bags up the exterior steps, we were not "allowed" to go
to our room until the remaining 50% balance on our bill was paid. (The first non-refundable 50% was required at the time reservations were made.) The older woman at the desk was thoroughly unpleasant. When I asked for a fire in the fireplace of our room, the main reason I had booked that particular room, she wasn't sure it would be possible, and actually screamed at me when I asked if there were any matches, etc.

When we got to the room itself was tiny and unnecessarily shabby: unmatched twin beds, an exterior window sill that was so rotten only the paint held it together; ancient, faded rag rugs on the bathroom floor that had been folded over; debris in the yard outside the window, rims of dirt around the electric heaters; and green mold around the faucets in the bathroom, etc. No wonder she insisted we pay before going to the room.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends