“Average North Indian food and negative ambiance”
Review of Taste of India

Taste of India
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in San Jon
Reviewed 13 January 2017

Punjabi roadside dhaba along an interstate in USA is a rare and welcome sight I'd say!
The fancy aside, I wouldn't rate this the best Punjabi food I've had. They have miles to go to be labelled clean and hygienic but it is less of a restaurant and more of a gas station cum truck stop. The store along the restaurant had a wide assortment of Indian snacks and sweets, must say I was indeed very surprised to find such a place in San Jon!
I had Aloo Parantha and Samosas. The Aloo Parantha was okay, Samosas were a bit disappointing. They have a reasonable North Indian buffet running most time of the day, I didn't try it out though. Their chai (tea) was indeed marvelous!

1  Thank Nostalgiyeah

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Wow!!!

What a treat on a New Year's Day!
Not dissimilar to the truck stops in India. The food is fantastic. And best: a buffet!!! For $11 one eats very well, and the people are very gracious in a rustic setting.

Namaste!

Reviewed 23 November 2016

We stopped here on Nov 3 2016 for gas fill and lunch on our road journey from Houston TX to San Jose CA .

The restaurant serves buffet lunch consisting of typical North Indian dishes like mutter paneer, kadi, pulao, naan, daal makhani, achar, etc. We also ordered aalu paranthas . Paranthas had home-type fillings with green chillies and tasted excellent Curd was fresh and very good.

The problem with this restaurant is of complete lack of cleanliness . The rest room and dining area need special attention . The restaurant management must wake up and put all efforts urgently to improve with respect to hygiene and cleanliness.

1  Thank Mussooriewala
Reviewed 13 November 2016

This restaurant has to be one of the most ghetto places I have ever eaten at in New Mexico! Pretty dirty - inside and out. This is basically a truck stop with the "restaurant" inside the convenience store. All of the workers and customers were Indian. Who knew?! In San Jon, NM! No female customers. The food was really good though. The buffet had some great dishes on it. If you can handle the chaos of this place, the food is great.

1  Thank lessard
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

This place may have the Taste of India but it looked like the ghettos of Calcutta. No more did we open the doors of my truck & about a hundred flys flew in. This place literally stank. When we went in there are groups of Indian men standing around giving you the evil eye. Going to use the filthy bathrooms was no better. Guy's standing in the narrow hallway between the mens & ladies rooms pruning themselves & adjusting there turbans in the full length mirror & not wanting to move out of the way even with a polite 'excuse me'. I would not let any female with me use the bathroom by herself. And when I say the filthy bathroom I'm not kidding graffiti, peeling paint,dead bugs, urine on the floor, no soap, no way to dry your hands ect. To be honest I couldn't bring myself to try the food. Seeing the dirty kitchen and "buffet " area &the slop some of the patrons we're eating along with the generaly unsanitary conditions of the whole place left me with the opinion that food poisoning was a distinct possibility. Do yourself a favor and keep driving.

1  Thank Mikel M