Lowest prices for your stay
$1,345
Travelocity
$1,345
Agoda.com
$1,137
Hotels.com$1,345
Destinia.com$1,212
Orbitz.com$1,345
All reviews plunge pool eco house game drives wild dogs the reserve safari lodge kids activities watering hole his job little touches his knowledge every evening magical experience star experience out of this world food was amazing brown hyena
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 October 2016

Absolutely fantastic place to stay. I would recommend Madikwe Safari Lodge to anyone. Was quite an experience and we will never forget the time we had there. We were welcomed by the manager Alan and everyone made us feel so welcome.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank phillycampbell
Reviewed 16 October 2016

We spent 4 nights in this amazing place as a family of four (kids aged 12 and 10). We had never been to South Africa before and never been on a safari before so everything was new to us. We transferred from Jo'burg to Madikwe on the Fed Air flight and had to go around at the time of landing due to a baby giraffe on the runway!! My poor son was sick in the bag but that was a combination of tiredness, a bag of crisps on the plane and the quick circuit. We were met by our guide for the next few days and immediately he made us feel welcome and relaxed. He listened with interest in our story and wants and when we saw our first wild elephants he stopped and let us marvel in this new adventure. When we arrived at the lodge we have a lovely welcome with many staff introducing themselves, cold refreshing towels and drinks and our bags were taken to our lodge. We signed the standard waivers about doing what we were told and that the animals are wild :))
We then went on to have four amazing nights, eight safari drives, sundowners, sunuppers, barbeque, boma, etc etc and learnt so much from our guide Luke Abbott that we are all keen to return asap and are already planning the next visit. The whole experience was made by our guide who answered all our naive questions as well as some vaguely intelligent ones. We had one drive with 8 in the jeep and 2 with 6 in the jeep and the rest were just us so we were able to concentrate on what we hadn't seen or wanted to see more of. This was just luck of the draw but we did actually enjoy the safaris with the others as they asked questions we hadn't thought of and it sparked some good conversations.
Our guide was excellent at sharing and collecting info from other guides from our lodge and others so we always felt he was trying really hard to get us experiences and sightings that we really wanted. Not a cheap holiday but an experience we will always remember.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank caroline c
Reviewed 8 October 2016

I enjoyed every moment of my trip,the staff had a welcoming smile at all time,the ranger was helpful on explaining to us.More over everything was perfect I enjoyed my anniversary.keep up the good job guys and the standard

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank kelebogilemashaba
Reviewed 5 October 2016

This was are last lodge on our trip in Africa this year .. But before I write anymore I've had a email from this lodge apologizing for the way the Driver/guild behaved towards us.... and the time we had 8 people in our vehicle !!
The lodge itself I thought was very good .. service from the staff was second to none .. The lady manger was just so nice to my friend and I .. The rooms where fantastic .. they have 24/7 electricity .. and the rooms are very well designed and well laid out ..I have to say .."very girly friendly" .. Food was very good .. the only real gripe I have with that was the Barbeque wasn't that good !! So on the whole very good ....
But now the bad part !!! First of all I have to say the first 2 1/2 days there was just 6 people in one vehicle ..which is just right .. for the standard and cost of this lodge !! But on the afternoon game drive on the 3rd day... we had 8 people in the car .. that might not sound to be too bad I hear you say?? ......But it is !! As two of the rows in the car has to have 3 people in them and there is only 3 seats per row ....so now you have no where to put your stuff/ cameras etc !!!!.. I have been to other very expensive lodges in Africa and the maximum people we've ever had is 6 !!! per vehicle!!.. so I wasn't happy with this ..
The other major issue was with are driver/guild ..The was very knowledgeable with the nature and all the wild life ..he even told us loads about little birds ..and what Poop on the Ground was from what animal it came from etc. ...which was just great .so I cannot fault him on that at all !!..But his attitude was really bad .. he told me I wanted to "race around everywhere" after id asked him a simple question !!....Also for no reason he moaned at other lady guests?? At one time he said "Im Not talking to You" to one lady !!! when she asked a question !!!.
He was always moaning about what goes on at the lodge ..He put down his fellow guilds from other camps ..telling us!!... He shouldn't have done that and said that etc etc ..I could go on but im not going to !! ..I've never see such bad attitude to his job !! I've been in management myself and run my own business and you never "wash your dirty linin" in public !! But as I've said ....I've had a email about this Person ..
Shame really apart from him/8 people in the vehicle and the Barbeque this place was very good !

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Yoga G
MOREfamily, General Manager, MORE Operations at Madikwe Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2016

Dear 'robertah2014'

Thank you for submitting your review following your stay with us at Madikwe Safari Lodge. As mentioned, we have already engaged directly with you regarding the negative aspects of your experience with us.

I'd like to address the point regarding the maximum number of passengers on each of our safari vehicles. This is, in fact, not unique to Madikwe Safari Lodge. It is a norm within the reserve itself, which has very strict policies regarding number of rooms/ beds and associated number of vehicles per square metre of land. To protect the environment, fewer vehicles and people per hectare are permitted, which we respect and voluntarily subscribe to. This reserve has made a remarkable recovery over the last few decades, and it is thanks to the collective efforts of all lodges and landowners in respecting the environment.

This being the case, we will always endeavor to put as few people as possible on a safari vehicle, and were fortunate to only have one drive over the duration of your stay with us necessitating the maximum vehicle capacity.

I do regret that your experience with us fell short of your expectation,

Andy Paterson
General Manager, Operations

Reviewed 28 September 2016

This lodge is the pinnacle of luxury, from the moment you arrive, the service, the food, the game drives, just completely spoiled in absolute luxury, breakfast was amazing, choices from a menu plus the addition of a huge board filled with smoked salmon, granola and yoghurt, fresh fruits, orange juice, cheeses, ham and all that complimentary before you even got your cooked breakfast!! Before every game drive, you had complimentary drinks, cakes, pastries and the evening dinner had an extensive menu choice.
Its a 5 min walk to the next lodge where there was a waterhole - amazing to sit by the pool on the grass with the animals next to you enjoying the water hole.
The suites were luxurious indoor/outdoor shower, own plunge pool, huge comfortable bed and impressive service from the houskeeper complete with a little blackboard he used to leave us messages on! Holiday of a lifetime - well worth the extra money to stay here

Room tip: There were only 4 bungalows all exactly the same
Date of stay: September 2016