I've previously been to East Africa on Safari and the experiences are a little different - I would always suggest going to a National Park before a Private Game Reserve as if you go to the latter first, you'll get spoiled and think that all Safaris are this wonderful and easy!
In fact, easy going is the best way to describe Serondella - from the relaxed company of Kelly to the chilled out calm of Mpho our tracker, to the happiness of Dave our Ranger, it was all brillaint company and great fun, without any stress at all. Nothing was too much trouble for David and Kelly and their enthusiasm and joy of what they do and where they live rubs off.
The game drives were tremendous - I think we covered the Big Five in the first two drives! On one drive we managed to cover leopards, lions, cheetahs and rhinos - my camera could barely keep up! And they have a brilliantly organized system which means all the Rangers int he Reserve keep in touch, so if someone finds something, you are more than welcome to form an orderly queue and get your chnace to see these amazing animals as well.
The rooms are clean, spacious and likely to be visited by Impala and Nyala (antelopes) and most look out over the waterholes where you can usual spot a warthog or babboon. The pool is very refreshing and I loved the never-ending stream of drinks! The food was incredibly good and their choice of wines is fantastic - try the Rats and the Pinotage for they are incredibly good.
I'm hoping to bring my fiance back at some point because the ease to get there from Jo'burg, combined with the weather and the food and the animals and the people means that this is one of the best short breaks I've ever had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Serondella Game Lodge, Thornybush Game Reserve, is a four star superior lodge set in the heart of the African bushveld. Offering fantastic big 5 game viewing, exquisite African cuisine and personalized service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and South African Hotels so you can book your Serondella Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Serondella Game Hotel Thornybush Private Game Reserve
- Serondella Game Lodge Thornybush Private Game Reserve, South Africa