All reviews watering hole game drives infinity pool other guests attention to detail the reserve his knowledge his passion extra touches various parts moment you arrive outdoor shower rooms are spacious an excellent guide stayed longer a special place south africa
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Steve & Nicole Baillie are wonderful hosts the lodge is perfect and Steve is very knowledgeable about all aspects of the bush. Mike is also a really great guide as is young Brendan the tracker they are all super hosts.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We stayed at Toro Yaka for my 30th birthday celebration, and beforehand I had spent a long time researching and looking at places online and feeling a little overwhelmed as to what to choose for the best experience at a good price.

I’m so, so glad we stayed here, it was perfect from start to finish.

Toro Yaka is so peaceful and beautiful with individual rooms and the gorgeous pool overlooking a watering hole. We were in the Elephant room, and it was lovely, well decorated and understated. We immediately felt relaxed and at home. The attention to detail was great, and we loved the chocolate and bed time stories left on our pillow. This room has a private balcony overlooking the watering hole so its a good one to stay in.

The service was excellent – the staff friendly and funny, which was nice to have a bit of a joke with them so it didn’t just feel like they were waiting on us the whole time, but they definitely made sure we were looked after and had everything we wanted. They had great attentiveness, noticing when your drink was nearly done, and making sure your room looked spot on at all times.

We were the only guests for the first day, so we had private drives to ourselves, and lunch and dinner was set up for 2 which was very romantic. The food is incredible – healthy, fresh and delicious. Lunch was a salad, with bread, cheeses and fruit laid out. Dinner was a 3 course meal, so you don’t leave hungry! I looked forward to each meal time, as the food served was different each time but all delicious.

The drives were great and we spent a lot of time with the animals – Michael took us out on all 4 of our drives and he was a great guide, really knowledgeable. After saying I really wanted to see rhino, Michael found us White Rhino within half an hour on our very first drive! THANK YOU Michael that was one of the highlights of my trip to SA.

I found that we seemed to spend a lot longer which each of the animal encounters we had than the other private game drives, who would drive up and off after taking a few pictures. The game reserves all work together so you know you are seeing everything that the nearby places are too, which I didn’t realise before hand – this means whilst the others might be driving around looking for animals we were still getting to enjoy watching the animals we had just found, before heading to the next spot. I enjoyed sundowner stops, served alongside snacks always in a scenic location.

I would loved to have stayed a few more days just to spend a bit more time relaxing, chilling out and enjoying the luxury of the room.

Thank you Nicole, Michael and Brendon, as well as all the staff.

Room tip: The Elephant room has views over the watering hole and a private balcony
Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 15 October 2017

My husband and I have nothing but glowing comments to write about the Toro Yaka Bush Lodge. The staff is first rate. Nicole's meals are all absolutely delicious, and I am a pescetarian, which presented no problem.. The coffee, wines, and mixed drinks were excellent. Mike, our guide, educated and astounded us on every drive. Merrick, an awesome spotter, was always ready to help with any request.

The lodge grounds are clean, cozy, and comfortable. We loved our room, which was Elephant; the outdoor shower was fun to use. From our deck, we had a great view of the watering hole that many animals, such giraffes, elephants, impalas, monkeys, and wart hogs visited regularly. The room was made up each morning and prepared with turn down services each night. The resident bush babies and visiting birds entertained us daily.

The bush drives were outstanding. We saw lions, both male and female, elephants, giraffes, zebras, impalas, kudu, wart hogs, hippos, black rhinos, and cape buffalos. I am sure I am forgetting someone. The drives never disappointed us. Mike made sure of that.

One of the best parts of the visit, however, was meeting people from various parts of the world. Nicole, Mike, Merrick, and the lodge staff were welcoming and warm. We befriended two fine gentlemen from Sydney, Australia, as well as a father and daughter from Canada, a couple from Germany, a couple from England, and an American couple who now live in Mexico. (Hi, everyone!) All really were lovely and provided great company at every meal. I find myself missing those folks now.

You will not regret booking a stay at Toro Yaka. However, do not go for one night or even two. You need several nights to enjoy Nicole's food fully and experience all Toro Yaka has to offer. Take advantage of all the game drives--morning and evening. Do not forget to browse at the "gift shop" shelves before leaving. We brought back some souvenirs we will always cherish.

Thank you, Nicole, Mike, Merrick, and staff for an unforgettable experience. Our stay really was all we had hoped it would be.

Room tip: We enjoyed staying in Elephant.
2  Thank gocaribbeannow
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We recently had 4 nights at Toro Yaka and couldn't have enjoyed our stay more.
From the friendly welcome it just kept getting better.
Nicole and the staff are first rate , everyone including the lodge staff new our names and gave 5 star service.
The lodge facilities were more than adequate and the meals innovative , delicious and well presented.
The game drives were so enjoyable and interesting especially made so by Mike's unending knowledge and enthusiasm for what he was doing , I especially enjoyed our walk which was so informative.
He was especially adept at getting close to animals for a photo op.
Merrick is a great offsider to Mike , he has a friendly personality and is obviously learning a lot from Mike and his personal studies.
Three of the extra touches that made our stay just that little bit more enjoyable were Nicole or a staff member and the dogs being there every time we went on a drive and again on our return , the evening turndown chocolate and ' story scroll ' on our bedside table and the morning tea and sunset drinks on our morning and evening drives.
All in all a very enjoyable stay and I highly recommend Toro Yaka to anyone contemplating a visit to a game reserve.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

You get the whole package here. Nicole and her team looked after us well, their attention to detail was amazing. The food which was beautifully presented, delicious and served in different locations which was a nice touch. It's a small friendly lodge and we met some great people. Mike, Brandon and Merrik taught and showed us so much we got to see 4 out of the big five and a kill. Would do it again, a great start to our holiday.

• Trip type: Travelled with family