“Can't Wait to Go Back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We recently spent four days at Kirkman Kamp and it was above "And Beyond" what we expected. The hospitality couldn't have been better. We had our personal butler as well as the same driver and tracker during our entire visit. Their main goal was to see that we had a memorable experience. Our driver and tracker worked hard to assure that we had numerous sitings of the Big Five; they were very accommodating and drove through lots of bush and water to make sure there was optimum viewing. We went on 8 Game drives and each one was unique!
Our room was very clean with soft fresh linens. The food was plentiful and offered an African flair with ostrich, springbok and kudu.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 122Trekker

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Kirkman's Kamp was a late decision for us and we're so glad we went. Coming from Arizona to Cape Town South Africa was trip enough but we added going to Kirkman's for a 4 night stay and enjoyed it very much. The food was great- from the dinner in the Boma with the chorale group to the breakfast out by the river and lunches on the patio-with other friendly guests from all over the world- all of it was special. The room was neat- 'old fashioned' with modern comforts. The lodge had wonderful character and was welcoming- great bar. The camp staff made us feel at home and were very engaging. The camp's location (by two rivers, next to Kruger and sharing with another large camp) made it a great place to see somewhat different terrain and so many animals. Since it was December we saw lots of baby animals and Collin and Brett were able to track and locate the 'big 5' twice over in the four days including two sets of leopards, one that came right up to the jeep!, and three sets of lions. They knew so much about the animal's behaviors and were accommodating of all the photos we wanted to take. Brett made great gin and tonics each evening trip to go along with a lovely sun set over an exotic vista and a little amaretto in morning coffee after the excitement of seeing a pride of lions- it was all an experience to remember. We especially liked the walk. A special place! One last thing- We met two young people who worked for the &Beyond foundation- learned some things about how the organization supports tourism through community work and youth education. This impressed us too.

Room Tip: I think they are replacing beds- ask about that when booking your room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kriotter
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My wife and I recently returned from a wonderful adventure in South Africa. We spent 3 nights at Kirkmans Kamp with my son who had just completed a college semester abroad at the University of Capetown. When we arrived at Kirkman's Kamp we were immediately met by our butler, Sunnyboy, and Ruth (?hotel manager). Our luggage was whisked to our rooms and we were given nice cold glasses of fresh lemonade. We arrived after 3, but they had saved lunch for us. We were served a full course lunch, after which we got ready for our first of 6 game drives. Each game drive was a unique adventure. We explored in an open range rover vehicle, that literally could travel over brush and small branches. Needless to say, with the help of our ranger, Ralph and our tracker, Richard, we saw all of the "big 5" as well as countless birds and other game. We simply never got tired of these game drives, even though they lasted for about 3 1/2 hours each. Ralph was very knowledgable, and seemed to be as excited as we were when we saw the wildlife. When we returned after the morning drives, we were treated to a great breakfast with made to order eggs (on one occasion we had breakfast in the bush). Then we settled down to a relaxing morning/afternoon poolside. The evening drives were also very exciting, especially when the sun went down and we were viewing wildlife at night...not to mention the cocktails served at sunset. When we returned we were treated to champaign or the cocktail(s) of our choice during which we conversed with other guests and rangers about our adventures. Dinner was served outdoors and was presented beautifully. We either sat with other guests and our ranger or at our own table. We were also treated to authentic African entertainment with a chorus and dance routine. Although Kirkman's is not cheap, they certainly deliver on everything which was promised. We even had our laundry done, which was a complimentary service...made my college aged son very happy. Overall, this was a wonderful, unique experience with memories that will last a lifetime. I cannot recommend Kirkman's highly enough. They have such a relaxed attitude at the resort which was so nice and really unusual. If you are considering going on a safari...GO TO KIRKMAN'S. YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank bjkrieg
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I just spent 3 nights at Kirkman's camp and I loved every minute of it. As a solo traveler, I didn't know what to expect from a safari lodge and Kirkman's outdid every expectation. Everyone who works there will go out of their way for any request you may have whether dietary or something else. The other guest were incredibly welcoming to me as well. The facilities/ room were gorgeous -- I would like to take the bed home with me - and nicer than most hotels I have stayed in around the world. The first day, I walked into my room, out onto the veranda.. and there was an elephant on the yard eating. What an introduction!!! I loved the safaris since you are allowed to go off road AND the jeeps are both top and side open (stadium seating). The guides and trackers are extremely knowledgable about bird, plants and animals and within just about 2 rides I had already seen most of the animals I wanted to see (and more that I didn't know existed!). They are constantly feeding you - early AM snack, mid morning safari snack, breakfast, lunch, pre afternoon safari snack, sundowner, dinner. Never was I without food and the food at the main meals were delicious! All natural ingredients (not the crap I eat and buy at home) and so plentiful! I barely ever had room for dessert! From first course soups that were amazing and combinations I would never put together myself to the main course options -- I think I gained weight on my trip. Loved Kirkman's -- worth the money and should be on everyones list if they are going to Sabi Sands
Few more items:
they offer free wifi and have a computer in the main lodgings to use
don't worry about bringing bathroom stuff (shampoo, conditioner, gel, insect repellent), they have all of that and it's good stuff!
the little touches (champagne and rosepetals and drawn bath, nightcap on nightstand) -- unexpected and will be remembered.

Room Tip: the rooms start with #1 closest to the main lodge. I believe they all may look the same though. I wa...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Redlionny
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We have stayed at several camps over the years, and found Kirkman's Kamp quite the best. We were met at the airport by Jerry our brilliant tracker, and from that moment onwards were treated with courtesy and kindness by all members of the staff.
Our accommodation in Cottage 1, was the ultimate in comfort with a king size bed, air conditioning and all the details of complimentary comforts were so well chosen. Agnes took care of our every need in our room and at meal times.
Our game viewing tours were on extremely comfortable Landrovers, and our guide Paul, went out of his way to find all the animals that we could ever wish to see including the rare close encounters with leopards, and also a pack of wild dogs! Our tracker Jerry was even able to find a chameleon in the dark upon our return
drive to camp one evening. The game viewing in the Sabi Sands area is second to none in our experience.
All the pub[ic rooms are very nicely laid out and furnished, and the bar is a convivial place to share the day's viewing experiences. There is Wi-fi available, and Kate even gave me assistance with my Ipad!
We hope to return to Kirkman's Kamp in the not too distant future to enjoy yet another unforgetable adventure.
P.S. Photos to follow when we have downloaded same!

Room Tip: We are in our 80's and found all facilities extremely comfortable. In our cottage we had a "...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
25 km away
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reser...
#1 of 1 in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
25.1 km away
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
24.5 km away
Simbambili Game Lodge
Simbambili Game Lodge
#14 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK