Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Arathusa Safari Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
  • Restaurant
Skukuza Rest Camp(Kruger National Park)
Machai Lodge(Hazyview)
  • Pool
All reviewsluxury suitewatering holesabi sandsbush walkour honeymoonwild dogshuge deckbefore dinnerhoedspruit airportwater holesafari experiencethree nightsherd of elephantsindoor outdoor showerthe reservefire pitbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at Elephant Plains for three nights in June and celebrated our 30th anniversary there. The game viewing was excellent. Richard our guide and Clement our tracker were obviously expert in what they do and we saw the Big Five but much more as well. Bush walks were excellent. Our accommodation, a rondaval, was very pleasant and well appointed and the service was excellent. Dinners in the openair boma under the stars were very atmospheric but maybe the menus could be a little more imaginative. The private dinner in our room that was served for our anniversary was a highlight.

We really enjoyed our stay at Elephant Plains and would recommend it for anyone looking for a really good safari experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkL2012
EP2, Owner at Elephant Plains Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Hi Mark
Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for choosing us as one of your anniversary trip destinations. Please come and visit us again one day - maybe for another anniversary? Kind regards, Marlet Swart

Reviewed 24 June 2012

My 20 year old daughter and I traveled to Elephant Plains June 15-19, 2012. Our time at Elephant Plains was truly amazing and I would recommend it without hesitation. From the time we arrived until we left the staff were so warm, friendly and welcoming. When we arrived the rangers had all ready left for the afternoon game drive so they arranged another car to bring us out to meet them. The first animal we saw was a hippo out of water eating grass. Amazing. On our first full day we saw the big five. On the second day full, the highlight light was seeing leopards mating. The treat of the final game drive was seeing 9 lions walking through the bush including male lions, herds of elephants and their babies and finally a zebra. The rangers went out of their way to make sure you saw as many animals as possible and used radios to communicate with other vehicles when animals were spotted. We saw too many animals and birds to list in this post.

I highly recommend the Lion Suite. From the room deck, you can see the watering hole on the web cam. Our first day there, herds of Impala and Kudo visited the watering hole at midday and on the next day over 40 elephants stopped by.

The food was very good for breakfast and lunch. Dinners were served around the Boma. Depending on the night, they offer either a plated dinner or a buffet. The plated dinners were delicious, but I did not like the buffet as much. As a side note, it is fine to drink the water there.

Lastly, if you get the chance, on either your way to or from Elephant Plains, take the Panoramic Route back to Johannesburg. Blydes River Canyon, Bourke Pot Holes, God's Window and the Pinnacle are magnificent. It is also very interesting to drive through the tribal lands just outside the entrance to Sabi Sands.

I hope that one day I will be able to visit Elephant Plains again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Jan G
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Hi Jan. Thank you very much for your feedback. We are delighted that you guys enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you truly had some amazing sightings wile staying at EP! Please do visit us again one day. Regards, Marlet Swart

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Since we left the place, I have been racking my brains to find a single flaw that I could perhaps highlight in an effort to balance the praise. Cannot find any, so, it will be simply outstanding.
The staff was very nice and attentive, the food was very good, and the ranger and tracker helped made this adventure an unforgettable experience. I would like to think that late June is the best time of the year: leaves are down, the weather is cool to warm and we can still see plenty of animals, the big 5 and more. And we made new friends.
I plan to retunr to SA for another safari and without a doubt, I will return to Elephant Plains.
Come to think of it, here is a flaw: they ran out of size M for the fleece.

Room Tip: Even in Winter, we enjoyed the outdoor shower (with hot water) available in room 1. For the rest of the year, I would think it is a soothing relief.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank frg0125
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thank you so much for the kind feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please do come and visit us again one day. Regards, Marlet Swart.
Ps: Our curioshop fleece order has been delivered to the Post Office, I am going to pick it up tomorrow! :-)

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Had an awesome time at E.P. with a family of three. Wonderful safaris with Louis and Fanode. Got to see the big 5 + everything we wanted to see! Special thanks to Remember and Walter for making us feel like part of the E.P. family. Recommend highly!

Room Tip: All are good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
EP2, Owner at Elephant Plains Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Hi Ruby, thank you for your kind feedback! We are glad that you guys enjoyed your stay! I'm sorry that I missed it before - I only noticed that I haven't replied to you now. Have a great day! Marlet Swart

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We visitited for 3 nights for the first part of our honeymoon and stayed in the Honeymoon Suite. It was an amazing experience in every way and loved the attention to detail and the family feel to the place. The suite is luxurious yet appropriate to the setting, we had elephants just 50m away from our balcony one afternoon. We loved having Willie as our guide, he had such great enthusiasm and clearly loved his job. Him and his wife (spa manager) showed their kindness when we forgot our travel documents and they travelled out to White River (2hrs away) en route to their vacation to bring them to us! Thanks to Elephant Plains we now have the safari bug, what a fantastic and different way to experience the world!

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is very private and luxurious.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicky W

Hi Nicky
Thank you for your kind feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at EP as part of your honeymoon! We always try to go the extra mile, so we're glad that we could return your travel documents safely to you. I will also mention this to Willie and Atasja. Please visit us again one day, maybe even as part of an anniversary?! Regards, Marlet Swart