“Best hotel I've ever stayed in.”

Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Reviewed 1 June 2012

They really set the bar at Londolozi. Stayed Dec 2010 and had probably the best vacation of my life. South Africa is truly a breathtaking country and our safari was by far our favorite part of the trip. We landed in Jo'burg and then took a flight to Durban. There isn't much to see there, but we decided to drive to our safari to experience the country more. Drove from Durban to the Drakensberg Mountains, through Swaziland (very cool) to Londolozi. Quite an adventure ;)

Once we arrived at Londolozi, it was luxury at it's finest. I've been to a few nice hotels but they really set themselves apart with their service. Of course it doesn't hurt that you're surrounded by amazing scenery!

We stayed at Varty camp which was perfect- amazing outdoor shower and rustic but modern room with all the amenities. The frig is stocked with whatever you could want. And the food! Oh the food was amazing! We had a small group at the lodge during our stay. Just 2 other couples in our jeep, a father and son from Europe and a couple from TX. It was intimate so we could really experience the tracking and saferi-ing without a lot of ppl. The other guests had stayed in the Serengeti the year before and confirmed that a private reserve was really the way to go. When you're viewing the wild animals in their natural setting, you don't want 6 other jeeps full of ppl with you. It was such a privilege to see the animals with just our group.

We woke up one morning to find a bit of debris around the path to the main house. We were told that an young male elephant had trounced right through all the barriers and left a heaping pile of hot, well you know, very close by. There is nothing like the smell of warm elephant dung to brighten up your morning haha! Oh and beware of the cheeky monkeys who will steal your food if you're not careful! Also, enjoyed afternoon yoga (in the african heat!) and a nice dip in the pool, at one of the other camps.

Of course tracking and seeing the animals so close was by the far the best part of Londolozi. We had many mini-adventures: chased by an angry mother elephant (ears flapping, front legs up) in our jeep, tracked the gorgeous leopard through bushes and small trees (the jeeps they use will practically go over anything!), and enjoying some very chill sundowners with a g&t and some biltong.

In terms of wardrobe, it is a good idea to bring a few nice outfits for dinner. South Africa is more euro so everyone dresses up for dinner.

Room Tip: We actually booked our trip through Go2Africa and the price for Londolozi was considerably less than...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sora80
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Dear Sora80,

Thank you for a great and detailed review about your time at Londolozi. We are incredibly pleased that Londolozi is the best hotel you have ever stayed in and that you had such a fantastic time and experience with us. (except for the cheeky monkeys of course).

We look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future for another adventure on safari.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I don't even know where to begin. I always wanted to go to Africa and experience a photographic safari, after all, everyone I had ever talked to that had gone to Africa said it was the trip of a lifetime. So my expectations were high.

After much research I decided on Londolozi. I know it sounds cliche' but it truly was a life changing experience - the moment I arrived I knew I was "home". Our ranger Alfie and tracker Bennett introduced us to the wildlife of Londolozi. Every game drive was an adventure and an experience. They allowed us to sit as long as we wanted, not only photographing but taking the time to watch and appreciate these animals in their natural state, to better understand the balance of nature and realize how very civilized animals are, they do not kill for the sake of killing there is purpose, attachment and beauty in all living creatures. Thank you Londolozi and the model you set for preserving this for us and generations to come.

I could go on about the wonderful staff, fabulous accommodations, great food, amazing scenery, etc., but I think the other reviews have covered those points extremely well and I agree with them all. I tell everyone I can, "if you travel only one more time in your life, travel to South Africa and Londolozi...the people, the animals and the land will hold your heart forever"

I will return.

Room Tip: Stayed at Varty Camp, looked at all the others, all are wonderful
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear cowenevett,

WOW! what an incredible review and even better to hear how life changing your stay at Londolozi was. I will be sure to pass it on to Alfie and Bennet who will be delighted to hear that your safari with them was so special and rewarding.

Thank you for posting your pictures as well, they are beautiful and it looks like you saw a wide variety of game and special animals. We cannot wait for your return!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We have been to many other safari camps during our 5 trips to Africa, but the one we go back to is Londolozi in the Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve. The range and variety of wildlife is amazing, the rangers and trackers are the most outgoing and knowledgeable, and the sheer number of lion prides and leopards that traverse the area is more than we've ever seen in any other camp! Sign up for their blog and follow it for awhile - fantastic sightings and stories, keeping us wanting to go back. The accomodations, the food, the "family," the conservation work all make it a very special place. Yes, it's pricey but if you have only one chance to go on safari, make it Lonodolozi - you wont' be disappointed!!

Room Tip: We love Tree Camp, but all the camps are different and distinctive. Study their website and pick th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Hoonihoo,

Thanks for your fantastic review and returning to Londolozi time and again. We are very pleased to hear that your experiences with us have been 'the best' and that you have signed up to our blog to keep you informed and entertained when you are not on safari with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

Just left Londolozi this afternoon after 5 awe inspiring days spent at this beautiful place. Right from the first hello from Mark and Tresta at Tree camp , I was made to feel like part of the family there. Greeted with a cold wet towel and glass of SA Bubbly, the welcome could not have been better. My accommodations at Tree Camp were incredible. I had a whole house to myself. The house itself (no.6) had the most amazing view over the bush and Sand River below from my very own deck with its own plunge pool. After an amazing lunch , I met the super smart James Crookes, ranger/ guide extraordinaire who taught me all about the animals, birds and vegetation in Londolozi over the next 4 days. I also was fortunate enough to have one of South Africa's top trackers , Richard Swele as my vehicles tracker which was an incredible honor. I saw every animal I wanted to see during my 5 days there and learnt so much about their habits and behaviors from my great teachers. The food was great and the evening entertainment by the ladies choir of Londolozi was pure magic. I bought gifts at the workers craft market and for the rest , enjoyed relaxing afternoons between games drives at my pool in the warm winter sunshine. I felt sad leaving today as these great people became my family for 4-5 days and so I promise to return in 2013 with my significant other. A heartfelt Thank-you to all at Londolozi for making my vacation so memorable and especially relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2012
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear RainbowRotors,

Wow! Thank you for such a fantastic review and for visiting us at Londolozi. We are just so pleased that your time with us at Tree Camp was so incredible and that you learnt so much from James and Richard...they are both brilliant naturalists to spend time in the bush with.

What is especially important to us is the fact that you felt like your were a part of the Londolozi family, which you are and most certainly will remain going forward. We sincerely look forward to seeing you back here in 2013 for more game drives, magical food and relaxing times!

Thanks again,
Love,

Reviewed 10 May 2012

We recently spent 4 nights at Pioneer Camp at Londolozi. It was our first safari and a wonderful experience. The Staff were exceptional and everything was perfect! Thanks, Tom, Jerry, Trish, Sarah and the rest of the crew. We are looking forward to returning for another wonderful holiday. We highly recommend Londolozi.
Lisa & Wayne from Perth, Western Australia.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear Lisa and Wayne,

Thank you for choosing Londolozi for your first safari experience. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the experience so much and that you found the staff and Pioneer Camp to be exceptional.

We greatly appreciate the recommendation and sincerely look forward to seeing you back at Londolozi in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#12 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
11.5 km away
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
8 km away
Simbambili Game Lodge
Simbambili Game Lodge
#14 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
13.1 km away
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reser...
#1 of 1 in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
6.3 km away
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#15 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Londolozi Private Game Reserve? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK