Copper King Lodge
Alpine Lodge & Suites(Red River)(Great Value!)
US$ 206
US$ 176
  • Fitness centre
Best Western Rivers Edge(Red River)(Great Value!)
US$ 193
Agoda.com
Ponderosa Lodge(Red River)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewshot tubthe riverplace to stayin townthe kitchenback porchannual christmasroom suiterooms were very clean and comfortablenext yeargas fireplaceski liftpicnic tablesoff seasonnew mexicorestaurants and shopscharcoal grill
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My husband and I rented one of the efficiency units (#21) during the second weekend in December so we could go skiing. This room has one queen bed, and we really liked having the microwave and refrigerator in the room so we could make a quick breakfast each morning before going to the lifts. It comes with plates, cups, glasses, flatware, etc. The room was very clean, and the towels were first rate. They provided soap, but no shampoo or lotion. I thought it was interesting that they also provided rags to clean ski boots, windshields, etc. That is probably how they keep their towels looking so good. The rooms were quiet and seemed to be well insulated. I would have given our stay a 5, but the check in and payment process are rather odd. We made reservations by phone and gave the usual information, but then they sent an email with a link. We had to go through paypal to pay for our stay in advance. We arrived in town at 8 p.m., and the office closes at 5 p.m. So they left our key in an envelope on the office door. They did leave a lamp on for us, as well as the heater set at a comfortable temperature in our room. That was a nice welcoming. With the key was a page full of rules that said we had to come by the office between 9 and 11 a.m. to fill out more paperwork. Considering the lifts open at 9, we tried to do this at 8:30, but no one was around. We filled out the forms when we returned in the late afternoon, and the people in the office were very friendly. There were ducks and deer near the rooms on the river, and they were being fed when we walked in from the slopes. Red River has more snow than usual this early in the year, and we loved the half price lifts, skis and lodging special offered during the first two weekends in December! This lodge is adjacent to the copper lift, but it was not running the weekend we skied, so that was not the benefit we had hoped it would be. We had a great weekend in Red River!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank okietraveler79
copperkinglodge, Owner at Copper King Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I would first like to apologize for our office being closed when you stopped by to check in. Our winter hours are always 8 am - 5 pm just so that guests like yourself can check-in and hit the slopes by 9 am. There was some confusion among our office staff since that was the first weekend that we had a late check-in this winter.

Regarding the deposit policy, we give our guests the option of paying online, or mailing us a check. Hopefully, the guest will find one of these options to be convenient for them.

Lastly, we always try to let our guests know that the Copper Lift is ususally not running during the half-price weekends in early December. Since the ski area actually owns the lifts, we are not sure how early they might choose to run the Copper Lift. We are only a few blocks from the Platinum Lift though, so our guests always seem to be happy with our proximity to the lift.

We certainly appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. We will be there for you before 9:00 am next time!

Reviewed 27 November 2011

This was our first stay at Copper King Lodge. Our second trip to Red River since August. It was enjoyable. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The room was immaculately clean. We stayed in room #16 which was a 2 bedroom, 1 bath with kitchen and riverside. The river was right out the back door and so were the deer and ducks. We hand fed the deer daily. They have gas and charcoal grills built in and we used the gas grill. Very nice. The gas fireplace was just OK. We wished that we had stayed where we had a real fireplace. We did receive a free night due to a Thanksgiving special but we have stayed in less expensive, nicer places. The kitchen had only 3 knives and none of them were sharp. The potato peeler was dull as well. It is the first place I have stayed that actually had GREAT egg skillets. The location is great if you have children that want to play out by the river or you want to walk around town. The living room TV is mounted on the same wall as the head of the bed is on the bedroom side. While hubby was watching TV I had to go sleep in the other room with my grandson. The person in the bedroom hears the TV better than the person sitting in the living room watching it. We were not bothered at all by noise from other guests. I was also told NO PETS and saw other people there with their pets so I was a little bothered by that. I would have really enjoyed having my dog with me too, the same as the other people did. Overall it is a nice stay, but we will likely stay at another place we enjoy there that is nicer for less money.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BettyRuth
copperkinglodge, Owner at Copper King Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate constructive feedback. Let me provide an answer to a few of your concerns:
1) We always want our guests to let us know during their stay if something in the room is not up to par. We keep on hand numerous backup kitchen items including, pots, pans, utensils, etc., and could have very quickly changed out your knives and potato peeler.
2) The little dog was that of a family member that came to stay with us over Thanksgiving. The dog stayed in our home (which is attached to the property) and not in their room. We also have a dog ourself in our home, but it is not allowed on the property at any time. Sometimes this is a little confusing for our guests.
3) Lastly, we always want our guests to feel that they are getting the best value for their money. We constantly make improvements to the rooms, and look at what other comparable rooms are renting for in town. If a guest ever feels that there is a better value in town (with a comparable room type, quality, and location), we would match the price. We don't claim to have the cheapest units in town, but we do want to have the best value for your money!
Thank you again for your comments!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

We have been going to Red River for many years, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year--it is a 12 hour drive, but worth it! The Copper King Lodge is our favorite & we stay there--if we can (that is, we book early enough!) It is great even off-season!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We visit Red River as often as possible, and went over Fall Break. This was our third visit to Red River in less than a year, and I have been there 20 plus times in my life. We didn't have reservations, but I had researched the Copper King prior to our trip. The Clerks were all extremely friendly, the room was clean, the location is great! This is one of the best places to stay in Red River, and the rates are great. The views were great, and they have great BBQ Grills outside for guests. The hot tub was a little small but had a great view! I wish I had made a reservation to get one of the efficiency rooms with a kitchen.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TexinOkie
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I've stayed at Copper King Lodge many times. I'll stay there many more times. A person can't beat the atmosphere in Red River. The Copper King Lodge is a great place to stay. Always clean and very well kept. Housekeeping and maintenance staff very personable. The couple I'm speaking of have been employed at Copper King a long time. I remembered both of them and they do take care of their customers.
You can't go wrong at the Copper King Lodge!

Room Tip: Any room is great, but the river front is the best!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends