Review Highlights
Terrible place to think you will get any sleep

Reviewed 24 September 2020

Reviewed 17 August 2019
eshanes
Benson, Arizona
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 September 2020 via mobile

Nice views and beautiful natural habitat. The downside was that the trains just never stopped. They kept going day and night. Every 30 or 40 minutes you can count on hearing a train whistle blow.

Date of experience: September 2020
Reviewed 29 July 2020

The customer service at this park is TERRIBLE. We pulled in to this park for two nights. , originally. On the second day, while we were out visiting a national park, we saw a billboard stating stay two nights get your third night FREE!!! My husband and I talked and decided that we would like to stay the third night to do another national park in the am. So, when we pulled back in I went to the office to discuss the extension and the billboard we saw. I was told by the associate that if we wanted the third night free we would have had to do this at the beginning of our stay. The manager, I think, then chimed in and asked if anyone had offered us this when we checked-in. I responded "no, that i had no idea about the special". The original associated chimed back in and asked when I saw the billboard. The manager then stated that if we would like I can book for two more nights and get the third night free. I didn't need three more nights....I just wanted the third night free as advertised!! We went back to look at the billboard and there was no information about telling them on the first day or check-in. Just horrible!!! Will never go back.

Date of experience: July 2020
Reviewed 29 July 2020 via mobile

Have stayed here overnight a couple times. No reservation. But not really crowded. Nice quiet park with plenty of room for 43 foot motor home with Jeep. Grassy areas near small lakes. Lot of people fishing. Used to have a shuttle to casino. Maybe not with COVID. Staff is very friendly.

Date of experience: July 2020
Reviewed 17 August 2019 via mobile

Stopped here for a night while on a road trip. Started raining heavily shortly after we arrived. Entire park turned into a quagmire of mud and water with our rig sitting in a two inch deep puddle. What a mess. Need some loads of gravel in there to fix this problem. Still cleaning off our power cord and hose.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 25 April 2019

I want to let people know that police response to a threatening environment is not a priority on this pueblo. I first want to start off by saying my wife and I decided to go fishing and camping at Isleta Lakes for the Easter weekend. We checked in on Thur. Friday we went fishing all day and caught lots of catfish. We caught a huge one that weighted over 20lbs easily. We were approached by two individuals who seemed really nice and wanted to see our catch. When we got back to camp we were happy to see they were our neighbors.
That night they were partying hard with three other campsites. My wife and I walked our dogs around 2200 and decided to go to bed around 2330. At about 0030 we woke up to our neighbor drunk and howling at our dogs. We have 5 dogs who sleep in the back of the truck. When we questioned him his response was "I don't know what you're talking about." My wife and I decided it would be better for us to bring out dogs into the trailer.
Around 0100 I started to hear the individual yelling obscenities like "call the cops h*e, I'm not afraid to die." "I hate gay people." "I hate gay right." "Call the cops you white b***h a$$ n****rs." He then proceeded to jump into his truck and drive up and down the lot doing about 30 mph swinging up rocks. I decided to make my first call to the police at 0220. They transferred me to the Isleta dispatch where she said I wasn't the first person to call and they would send the cops.
He continued yelling obscenities and honking his truck horn. He even started pacing back and forth in front of our trailer door yelling "F**k gay people, f**k gay rights!" "F**k you white people, this is Burque, Mexican country." Because it was escalating and he was now within feet from our trailer I decided to call the cops back around 0330. Again I was told by Isleta dispatch that cops would be on their way but they don't have people right now. Security for the RV park were monitoring the situation from a distance. I called back again around 0354 after the guy started to threaten to kill us. The dispatch told me the closes cops were 45 minutes away. I asked if APD, BCSO or NMSP could responded and I was told no. I began to beg because I feared for our lives but they still wouldn't allow other agencies to respond.
They guy continued to yell and blare his truck horn for another 30 mins or so. My wife finally fell asleep and I stayed up with my dogs ready to protect or trailer if he tried to break in. Around 0600 I looked outside the trailer to see if it were safe to exit to take the dogs out. I witnessed numerous police and security questioning the individual. I was waved by one cop to come out so my wife and I went to him. We were talking with him when all of a sudden all 6-8 cops and security guards backed up to were we were at with their weapons drawn. The policeman we were talking to drew his rifle. We were told he was making threatening remarks towards the cops and that we should get away. They argued with him for about an hour before they cuffed him and recovered a weapon. After he calmed down he was taken out of handcuffs and he proceeded to pack up his camp. When he left at about 0800 he took off very fast, flinging rocks every and yelling "F**k you white people this Mexicans out." As he sped off he was swerving because I believe he was still drunk.
As we were packing up our camp to leave his family was starring us down, making it very uncomfortable.
The lack of urgency from the pueblo was very evident. The fact it took almost 6 hours for cops to make contact with this man after he was threatening us is disgusting. The fact that he wasn't arrested for disorderly conduct or public intoxication is incredible. The fact that they let him leave still intoxicated with his friend, girlfriend and two kids is unbelievable. Something needs to be done about the how police responded on the reservation. People should feel safe, not a target of hate and dismissed. SHAME ON Isleta Pueblo!!!!!!!!!
The owner did refund us for our stay as we left early and apologized but things need to change!

Date of experience: April 2019