“Gotta stop & see!”
Review of Salmon Ruins

Salmon Ruins
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Farmington
Reviewed 8 September 2017

We have always driven by this in the past, but just decided to stop, WAY worth it!! Associated with the Chaco group about 45 miles south, this was a big pueblo. Lots of rooms and a wonderful big Kiva. A bit of a steep walk down from the visitor's office, you can drive down to the lower level to make it easier to access the ruins. Amazing chinking!!!!!!!!!! We just never get tired of this stuff. See and respect it!

1  Thank Mark S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Salmon ruins are well preserved and especially interesting when combined with a visit to Chaco Canyon because you can learn to view Chaco architecture and technique in its various time settings. There's a lot to walk through and see.

2  Thank Q4766HGsusans
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed the self guided tour through these amazing ruins. Great friendly customer service. It was a hot day so we couldn't handle staying for too long outside, but enjoyed the time we could.

1  Thank Melanie F
Reviewed 14 August 2017

There was no direction to the actual Ruins when we got to the bottom of the steps, so what we thought were the Ruins actually was the old farm, so we turned left when we should have turned right. There was no way to know which way to go either by sign or verbal directions, so we missed it entirely. Otherwise it might have been great.
We felt it was a wasted trip, and were very perplexed until we spoke with other people who had been there and knew what we missed. Bummer.

1  Thank jghood
Reviewed 10 August 2017

My visit to Salmon Ruins involved two phases, the first was a visit to the museum site. I had reserved a trip to Chaco Culture from the museum; so I went to the site the day before just to insure I could find it the next morning. When I stopped in, the lady at the desk told me that my tour cost included either a pre-tour or post-tour of the museum.

I walked through the museum and the gift shop. It was a nice visit, not overly crowded; and although not seeing great numbers of artifacts, etc; what they did have was nice.

I then drove down to the lower section and walked the trails. Two major trails exist; one to see the ancient ruins of the Chacoan culture, the other through a variety of Native American type dwelling in the American southwest.

The ruins location was very nice and you could get extremely close to the ruins. The path through dwelling was interesting, a few looked like they could use some help; but it gave a good overview of types of residence one might have seen.

The second phase was the tour to Chaco Culture. The price is a bit steep, but on the other hand I had an individualized tour and guide for the entire trip. Lunch was provided, as well as a small snack, water, and other sodas. The drive out and back took about just over an hour each, plus we spent a fair amount of time visiting the various sites at Chaco Culture Naitonal Historic Park.

My only suggestion, is consider expanding the tours to include up 4 persons from mixed groups. I know people might not want a 25 person tour, but believe a small group of 6 or less would be suitable.

1  Thank wewhynot