The Lodge Resort and Spa
Budget Inn(Alamogordo)
Rodeway Inn(Alamogordo)
Classic Inn Motel(Alamogordo)
View Hotel
All reviewshistoric hotelresident ghostantique furnitureno elevatorrich historymodern conveniencesthird floorthe main hotelnew mexicorestaurant staffqueen roompool and hot tubthe white sandselevationkeyalamogordofireplace
Reviewed 3 January 2015

This European alpine-style property stands out as truly unique amidst its Southwest surroundings--the second you walk in the lobby with its massive stone fireplace and high beamed ceilings, you are transported back in time. The Lodge boasts silver screen guests such as Judy Garland and Clark Gable--and resident ghost Rebecca (after whom the restaurant is named). The staff are very accommodating and give you free reign to explore the nooks and crannies of the building--and if only you ask, everyone from the front desk staff to the bartenders are happy to tell you about their hotel's many stories. Coupled with the old-world ambiance and Victorian-style decor, it all adds up to a wonderful experience. It's also a good value for the price. The property itself is not in pristine condition, but its charm by far makes up the difference in wear and tear. So far we've stayed there twice, both times in the peak of winter. We plan our next visit in warm weather so that we can check out the golf course.

Room Tip: If you are scared of ghosts, you'll have the option to stay in the hotel's newer property located about a mile downhill. You won't have to worry about hauntings and will be able to enjoy the same amenities as offered in the "main" building--and the detached building is pet friendly. However, I highly recommend staying in the main, historic building to get the full time-traveling experience that this hotel offers.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2015

We made reservations directly with the lodge for December 19 and December 20, 2014. On the reservations we asked for a ADA room. Not only did we not get a ADA room we were assigned a room on the 2nd floor. (no elevators) The TV set looked like it was out of the 80s or 90s and did not work very well. The shower did not work - either icy cold or scalding hot. The toilet did not flush properly. I did bring these deficiencies to their attention and received a sincere "sorry". We had looked forward to this trip because it was our anniversary. Definitely not worth what they charge.

Room Tip: I do not know we did not get the room we needed
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank darylr2015
Reviewed 29 December 2014

Honestly I drove up here just to see the place but didn't spend the night. We were treated just as courteously as if we had been paying guests. I asked the desk clerk about the bell tower and he immediately handed me the key, giving us an opportunity for a great view. Had some great pumpkin fudge from the gift shop. I love the way the lodge embraces its ghostly history.

Room Tip: Higher the room better the view.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lannyr
Reviewed 14 December 2014

This is one of those places that has an amazing staff and a rich history but not so great otherwise. When I was shown my, "king sweet" it looked like a half of a NYC studio with too much furniture. There was hardly any room to walk around or put my bag down. The room was described as a suite over the phone but my friend and I thought they had put us in the wrong room as it was a far stretch from what we had imagined. The mattresses needed to be replaced on the beds, it was caved in the middle. They need to renovate the rooms. The temps drop at night and the room got freezing despite how many times I turned the temp up. My friend and I slept in coats. You just need to understand despite how expensive these rooms may be that you are getting a tiny room overpacked with furniture. Don't worry about the ghost of Rebecca, she won't be able to fit in the room with you. Everything shuts down early. When you make a reservation you are encouraged to make a dinner reservation. You should do that and try to make the time because at 8 everything shuts down. We were 30 minutes late getting to the lodge at 8 o 'clock and they wouldn't seat us. We were left to try to eat gas station food because that is all that is nearby. So just be forewarned that if you get there past 8 you will not be eating. Everything was clean and the staff was very sweet and helpful. I won't be going back because a nice staff doesn't make up for a mediocre overpriced room. Too much character for me.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms you see on the website if you stay there.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank evapistola
Reviewed 6 December 2014

For over 100 years, this classic hotel has held a commanding view over Cloudcroft & beyond. The lobby offers a charming gathering spot of comfortable chairs & sofas around a large fireplace, the centerpiece of the Lodge. Immediately adjacent is a nice bar/lounge area and the famous Rebecca's Restaurant, named for the legendary ghost of the hotel. There is also a golf course and a full service spa on property, and many hiking trails to enjoy in the area nearby. The town of Cloudcroft is about a 15 minute walk down the hillside and there are several restaurants & shops, and even a wonderful bakery and a wine & cheese tasting store in town too.
The lodge consists of 3 floors, with the rooms on the front of the 3rd floor offering a wonderful view over the forest to the west. There is no elevator so you should expect to carry your luggage up & down the stairways. Most of the guest room furnishings are vintage antiques which adds to the ambiance of The Lodge, although many are in need of repair. The shower/tub in our room also seemed to be vintage and in need of repair, but other rooms offered newer plumbing equipment. Looking beyond the minor flaws given the age of the property, The Lodge is a charming place to stay with a very friendly staff!

Room Tip: 3rd Floor Front offer the best views
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple