“A good day out ”

John's Island Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews on here, we really weren't expecting much. Luckily our tour exceeded our expectations and we actually had a rather pleasant day.

We chose the North Tour as it included things we already wanted to see on the island - and for $12 it seemed pretty reasonable (we opted not to have lunch so can't comment on that).

We went to a pearl farm, a pepper farm and a sim wine factory (these were basically just places to buy the local produce), followed by a padoga which was definitely worth a visit. Next stop was Sao Beach for some lunch and free time. Then onto a fish sauce factory and Coconut Prision, which was a massive eye-opener

Our guide was great - very informative and always had a smile on his face.

Overall a good day for the money you pay.

2  Thank Emmalikesvegetables
in 13 reviews
"fishing trip"
"top deck"
in 7 reviews
"spoke very good english"
in 6 reviews
"the reefs"
in 8 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
"fishing village"
in 9 reviews
"boat crew"
in 6 reviews
"marine life"
"rainy season"
"beautiful beach"

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

We were recommended to book a day trip fishing and snorkelling at our hotel which on reflection is surprising given our hotel is 5 star and Johns tours offered a 1-2 star experience. The brand values didn’t weigh up. This is a cheap and cheerful and grotty trip.

Firstly- fishing and snorkelling: there was NO FISHING offered. Disappointment.

The boat was pretty full and not kept very clean: staff walking around with cigarettes, rubbish left or blown on the floor. Not cleared away. I went to get changed in the toilet after snorkelling- to find a huge turd floating in it and the toilet wasn’t flushing. Wee on the floor. Gross.

The food served for lunch was not very nice at all.

Felt like the whole trip was more eastern people friendly with Asian families bringing their crying babies on board. Not really a trip for screaming babies.

After snorkelling and getting back on board- staff playing loud awful music and karaoke- sounded like strangled cats.

Zum Zum our guide was a nice guy. Pleasant chap.

I’m generally not one to be pessimistic about an experience or place (see my other reviews) but this was pretty grim.

A couple of positives: it was cheap (500k so £16-£18). If I’d have known how poor the boat experience would be I’d have happily looked for something more upmarket and paid to get it- I’m a strong believer in you get what you pay for: just a little surprised my hotel recommend this company.

The snorkelling is awesome: coral reefs and beautiful marine life to see. I just strongly recommend seeing it on a more upmarket trip with a nicer boat, cleaner environment, better food, staff not walking around with cigs and not singing karaoke like dying cats.

2  Thank Weathered83
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

We booked with John tours for pearl farm, fishing and snorkelling. I would say the whole experience wasn’t very satisfying. I enjoyed the lunch they had served us on the boat and watching the beauty of the islands, but that was the only parts I liked.

We were picked up by a van (a party of 7) to the pearl farm which was nothing but three people with a bowl of oyster and opening them and showing us the pearls inside and a building full of pearl jewelry being showcased and sales people trying to sell them. Nothing informative like I would’ve expected.

We were misled to believe the tour would only contain 25 people as told by the person who booked for us. Turned out to be way more which crowded the whole tour boat leaving some people nowhere to sit. The boat was maneuvered carelessly, making the boat littered with people who were too sick to enjoy the tour and participate in anything. People were allowed to smoke during the tour, leaving me scrambling for places that didn’t smell like second hand smoke. No instructions were given when it was time to fish, only told us to grab a fishing line rolled up in a spool with bait attached. When arrived at the two snorkelling destinations, the waters were merky and was only then told by the tour guide that this wasn’t the best time to come (should’ve told us before we booked or taken us to a better area).

When we arrived at Sao beach with only an hour left of the tour, the whole shore was littered with piles and piles garbage and the water was very dirty, a huge disappointment. Once again, the tour guide said this time of year the current carries the garbage to shore. If the quality of the destination is not up to par, should they not change the destinations? We went to Long Beach the next day ourselves and everything was amazing. No garbage on shore and the water clear as crystal. Regret spending money on the tour, would much rather have spent my day lying on Long Beach waters for free with the tour money still in my pocket.

2  Thank austinwo
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

I did a day boat trip to the north reefs on Phu Quoc with John’s. It costs $17, but you get what you pay for. The boat was a dump and the one toilet was clogged and gross. The tour guides hardly spoke any English and made no effort to interact with the group, they just stood around smoking cigarettes. The snorkeling was ok, first spot was somewhat dirty but the second spot was good. All in all I’d recommend avoiding this operation and going with a more reputable company. One of the worst tour operators I’ve ever used.

2  Thank Tyler W