All reviewscommunal dinnerlong tableloved the outdoor showerthree nightsexplore the islandstayed longerjunglevietnamparadisecoconutfrogsbeachscootercreaturesusdnetbbq
Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

It is a beatiful place
I love the sea food in PhuQuoc island. I love Freedomland.
I had lots of fun, too.
Dinner in freedomeland more different than the other restaurants we will sit together and have dinner.
I love it. I can talk will lots of people in other country.
The food are very good. The rooms are nice. The price is not expensive too. In freedomland has a lot of tree too. I would like to come there again .
If you come to PhuQuoc don't forget to come to Freedomland :))
^_^
#beautiful

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank JohnN4700
Reviewed 26 January 2017

Considering the price I expected a lot more. $70USD a night when I could have just stayed in a hostel for less than $10. The "communal dinner" which is the reason I wanted to go to this place was just us two who arrived that day because the dinner was such a rip off considering how expensive it was compared to restaurants on the island. And the dinner didn't even include drinks....
I thought I would treat myself after a few weeks traveling Vietnam and I was so excited to come to this place so I splurged and spent the extra money, it was NOT worth it. I felt nickel and dimed every moment I was there, the only benefit was free water. We did an excursion one day and they told us they would drive us for a price which seemed okay considering we thought it would be both ways but they didn't tell us it was one way. Then the driver got lazy and didn't pick us up! He sent a taxi and "negotiated" the price for us ahead of time which was HIGHER THAN THE METER PRICE WAS.
Overall save yourself the money and stay in a budget accommodation where you don't expect to get anything but a bed or spend a bit more to stay at a real resort that includes some meals and rentals because this place was not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
7  Thank Rene1870
Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

We were so excited to stay at Freedomland! After a month of travelling through Vietnam, this was supposed to be a treat for our final few nights. We were pretty underwhelmed by the resort and do not recommend going back. The check in was very haphazard and nothing was really explained. We didn't find out until later (from a booklet we found in our room) that you are automatically signed up for their 300,000 dinner every night unless you opt out at 9am. Having arrived at noon, we had no choice. The dinner was ok but so expensive! There was also no choice, they just gave us dishes with no explanation of what it was. Also, one thing that really annoyed us was that breakfast wasn't included. After a month in this country, this was the first place that charged for breakfast (even coffee and tea!!). We had 1 coffee, 1 tea and the banana pancakes and it came to almost $15 US dollars. Way more than we would ever spend anywhere else in this country. The food wasn't that great so we ended up leaving the resort for all of our meals. The good news is that there are great, inexpensive restaurants everywhere around the resort! It's really strange because the place has so much potential but it's missing a lot. The rooms were great, very clean and the mattress was very comfortable. The lounge areas were comfy and there were hammocks everywhere. It's just missing those finishing touches that would make the price worth it. We just finished spending 3 nights at another resort across town and for the same price, it was amazing.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BrookandTom
Reviewed 20 January 2017

I really enjoyed my stay here, yes it is a little expensive but i considered it a treat for myself. I stayed three nights and ate dinner every night. The rooms are really basic but i loved it. I absolutely loved it and slept like a baby. It was a novelty showering outside as well! Yes there are bugs, but they have massive mosquito nets to keep you safe.

Id go back for sure,my friend had recommended it and I'm so glad she did.

Room Tip: The dwellings are humble, be sure you're ok with that before booking.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank lspinney89
Reviewed 14 January 2017

We heard about Freedomland from good friends who stayed there some years ago, and after reading the reviews we did not hesitate to book the sunset bungalow. We had 5 great days at this unique place in the jungle but left with a feeling that it had much more potential than it revealed, and that we could have left with a much greater experience.

To be fair it is a great place with rustic but cool, free-air-flow bungalows (although the sunset bungalow is a bit dark), a great outdoor communal dinner area, bar, lounge area, outdoor sofas and hammocks. The staff is sweet and helpful, and the nearby beach is beautiful and child-friendly.

Two things lead to the 3 out of 5 rating.

First, it is expensive. Although the food is generally good it is also expensive. We think that the reason many guests chose not to take part in the communal dinner while we were there was because of the price. At least that was why we ate outside of freedomland several times during our stay. We knew in advance that breakfast was not included but looking back and considering the room price we found it both a bit odd and unusual. If breakfast had been cheaper though it would not had been a big thing.

Second, it felt like the new owners assumed that we knew all about Freedomland when we arrived. Looking back we are a bit puzzled that we were not informed about how things worked and all the things offered at Freedomland, e.g. the Freedomland communal dinner experience, the availability of free bikes and a small shop, and motorbike rental to mention a few, which would have been good to know when arriving. We also missed an explanation of what was served at the communal dinner; dishes were served without a word. To be fair we did receive a long e-mail prior to booking with much information about the Freedomland experience but it still would have been good with a higher level of information upon arrival.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family