“What an experience!”

Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
Ranked #27 of 117 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed 31 January 2017

We stayed in the Coconut Room for 5 nights. Dinner was amazing every night. They give you so much food and we loved talking to new people every night at the communal tables. Its about a 20 minute cab ride to Duong Dong, where you can see the night market.

We did the snorkeling boat trip one day where they organize a boat for you to go up to the north. I think the boat trip was $35 or 40 USD, which was very expensive compared to the rest of Vietnam, but we had a huge boat all to ourselves for 4 people. Its not very well explained because no one on the boat speaks any English, but you go out and fish for a while with plastic spools which was fun. The boat guys caught a ton, but us tourists only caught 2-3. Then we went further north to Fingernail Island and snorkeled there. The fish and reefs were cool but not as bright as in the Carribbean, and the water is pretty murky until you're right on top of the reef. Then we came back in and ate fresh sea urchin(which was extra $) and a lot of good food including some of the fish we had caught earlier.

We biked to the beach and back and had no problems on the dirt roads. Its probably a 10-15 min walk or 5-7 min bike ride to the beach and back.

Be prepared for the outdoors though. It was very hot when we went in December right before Christmas and we were dripping sweat most of the time. The room has no AC and only 2 fans to keep you cool. The showers are outside, and bugs are everywhere, so you have to be tactical in avoiding mosquitos. It was pretty expensive compared to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh, but still worth the experience for is. We loved it, but its not for everyone. There's lots of wildlife, we saw many snails, frogs, snakes, geckos, and a tree frog fell onto the table during dinner, which was fun!

Bring sunscreen and bug spray, they don't seem to have it anywhere or if they do its extremely expensive.

Definitely a once in a lifetime experience. If we had to do it again, we'd probably do 3 days here and 2 days at an all-inclusive resort on the beach a little further south so we could enjoy AC and good showers before leaving.

Room Tip: Coconut hut was secluded and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jkrantzler

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

It is a beatiful place
I love the sea food in PhuQuoc island. I love Freedomland.
I had lots of fun, too.
Dinner in freedomeland more different than the other restaurants we will sit together and have dinner.
I love it. I can talk will lots of people in other country.
The food are very good. The rooms are nice. The price is not expensive too. In freedomland has a lot of tree too. I would like to come there again .
If you come to PhuQuoc don't forget to come to Freedomland :))
^_^
#beautiful

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank John N
Reviewed 26 January 2017

Considering the price I expected a lot more. $70USD a night when I could have just stayed in a hostel for less than $10. The "communal dinner" which is the reason I wanted to go to this place was just us two who arrived that day because the dinner was such a rip off considering how expensive it was compared to restaurants on the island. And the dinner didn't even include drinks....
I thought I would treat myself after a few weeks traveling Vietnam and I was so excited to come to this place so I splurged and spent the extra money, it was NOT worth it. I felt nickel and dimed every moment I was there, the only benefit was free water. We did an excursion one day and they told us they would drive us for a price which seemed okay considering we thought it would be both ways but they didn't tell us it was one way. Then the driver got lazy and didn't pick us up! He sent a taxi and "negotiated" the price for us ahead of time which was HIGHER THAN THE METER PRICE WAS.
Overall save yourself the money and stay in a budget accommodation where you don't expect to get anything but a bed or spend a bit more to stay at a real resort that includes some meals and rentals because this place was not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
6  Thank Rene1870
Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

We were so excited to stay at Freedomland! After a month of travelling through Vietnam, this was supposed to be a treat for our final few nights. We were pretty underwhelmed by the resort and do not recommend going back. The check in was very haphazard and nothing was really explained. We didn't find out until later (from a booklet we found in our room) that you are automatically signed up for their 300,000 dinner every night unless you opt out at 9am. Having arrived at noon, we had no choice. The dinner was ok but so expensive! There was also no choice, they just gave us dishes with no explanation of what it was. Also, one thing that really annoyed us was that breakfast wasn't included. After a month in this country, this was the first place that charged for breakfast (even coffee and tea!!). We had 1 coffee, 1 tea and the banana pancakes and it came to almost $15 US dollars. Way more than we would ever spend anywhere else in this country. The food wasn't that great so we ended up leaving the resort for all of our meals. The good news is that there are great, inexpensive restaurants everywhere around the resort! It's really strange because the place has so much potential but it's missing a lot. The rooms were great, very clean and the mattress was very comfortable. The lounge areas were comfy and there were hammocks everywhere. It's just missing those finishing touches that would make the price worth it. We just finished spending 3 nights at another resort across town and for the same price, it was amazing.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BrookandTom
Reviewed 20 January 2017

I really enjoyed my stay here, yes it is a little expensive but i considered it a treat for myself. I stayed three nights and ate dinner every night. The rooms are really basic but i loved it. I absolutely loved it and slept like a baby. It was a novelty showering outside as well! Yes there are bugs, but they have massive mosquito nets to keep you safe.

Id go back for sure,my friend had recommended it and I'm so glad she did.

Room Tip: The dwellings are humble, be sure you're ok with that before booking.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo