“Dirty Sheets, Theft from our Room”

and 1 more site!
Paradise Palm Beach Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Dirty Sheets, Theft from our Room”
Reviewed 14 April 2010

It all started well enough. On our previous visit to Tulamben, we had eaten at the restaurant and asked to see a room here, with a view to staying at Paradise on our next dive trip. We were picked up at Denpasar airport as arranged and driven the two and a half hours to Tulamben. After checking-in, we were shown to our room. We had chosen a hot water/air-conditioned room and this also had a bath and low-level shower. We unpacked and, after a long days’ travelling, we decided to go to bed at about 10pm. When I pulled the bed clothes back, it was very obvious that they had not been changed after their previous use by an amorous couple. I got dressed again and went to reception to insist that the sheets were changed. Most staff had gone home for the night, so the receptionist went to get some clean sheets. He was gone a long time and then came back, saying that they didn’t have any dry sheets – very strange in a resort this size. He apologized and then offered us another room. I checked the bed before accepting it and then we had to repack and change rooms. Not the best end to a tiring day.

We spent a couple of happy days shore-diving at Tulamben. On the third morning, we were chatting to the staff at the dive centre, when I remembered that I had left my gloves in our room. I went back to retrieve them and found the room-boy, who was supposed to be cleaning our room, crouched down by my suitcase. He stood up suddenly when I came in and I noticed my handbag, which had been in my suitcase, on the floor, with the purse inside missing. The purse had been pushed under a table and a $50 bill and some Indonesian Rupiah were missing. I obviously couldn’t physically search the room-boy, but I told him to turn out his pockets – apparently nothing, but I don’t think he showed me everything. He denied having taken the money, which had definitely been there ten minutes earlier when I left the room. I ordered the room-boy out and ran to get my husband to check that he had had nothing stolen. I then went to reception, expecting action and we told them to call the police. We were told that they “didn’t know the number”. My husband simply walked just down the road to the police station and returned with three officers. After having explained the scenario to the police in our room, in front of the Resort’s lady owner, we then had to go to the police station to make a statement.

When we finally returned, we asked to see the owner again, with a view to arranging better security for our room. We were confronted by the male owner of the Resort, who repeatedly called us liars, saying we had invented the whole thing as an insurance scam. As we pointed out, we would not be likely to make up a story that entailed spending two hours at a hot police station and missing a whole day’s diving, just to claim an amount that was less than the excess on our insurance policy. Luckily, the great majority of our money and passports were in a safe-deposit box at reception. Judging by the number of dangling keys, we were the only people using these. Presumably everyone else leaves their money, etc, in their rooms when they go diving. The lady owner offered us another room, but the male owner was just plain nasty. I suppose that it is easier to try to discredit the foreigners than to deal with a dishonest member of staff, especially in a village like Tulamben, where everyone seems to be related.

We left the Resort. When we passed by a couple of days later to visit some friends, we noticed that the room-boy was still working at Paradise. Draw your own conclusions.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
21 Thank scubadiver59
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2007

We arrived to see the young guy at reception glued to the TV screen watching the British Grand Prix. Whilst my husband talked motorracing, I was shown a large bright and clean room with ensuite bathroom. Perfect! Ten steps towards the beach was the washing area for diving gear and five more steps brought us to a large bar and restaurant area right by the sea. It had the usual wide range of fruit juices and a good selection of food. The staff were keen to help and very good humoured. The beach is black and very stony but at high tide it is easy to snorkel directly from the hotel steps. The water is very clear and the variety of reef fish is fantastic. If you walk a short distance to the left, you can dive or snorkel right above the famous shipwreck (mentioned in the guide books). This was the highlight of our stay. It was relatively easy to get transport here (we arrived here by local regular service bus from Singaraja and the driver drops you where you want). The only downside to Tulamben: we came from the west and north of Bali and this was the first time we encountered hassle from local beach vendors!

• Liked — the easy access to the shipwreck for snorkelling
  • Disliked — Beach vendors hassling you whilst walking past your hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Englishtravelfanatic