All reviews shiva room loved the french toast balinese touches crazy seminyak great spot in seminyak beautiful oasis boutique hotel lounging by the pool lovely pool deluxe room short walk to the beach a lovely stay reception area tucked away we loved our stay away from the hustle and bustle quiet location
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We are two 31 yo friends, we stayed in Seminyak area so we can understand that Hotel prices are higher than other areas. However despite a convenient location and beautiful decoration, we felt the hotel standard doesn't worth the price.

+ The room layout is Balinese style decorated which is nice and the bed comfortable, nice parquet floor too
+ The overall area and garden is clean and well-maintained

- No complimentatry bottle of water at arrival
- No fridge in the room
- After I took my first shower (8minutes) my friend took a shower and there was no more hot water
- The shower water temperature mitigator is not easy to handle
-Also the shower tube holder is not the original one as we can't place the shower head properly
- Not a single shelf to put the shampoo in the shower
- We had to ask them to make the room after the first night. We left at 10am and came back at 2pm.
- Breakfast is ok but very basic
- The swimming pool water was dirty and not refreshing (too warm)
- Few nice staff but not very helpful
- Overall too minimalistic for the price

I stayed in other areas in Bali for 20-25 USD/ night, such as Kuta, Sanur but with same or higher standard (nice balinese style, fridge in the room, great big breakfast with option of pancakes or omelets and also cereals.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Lena064
balidiva, Manager at Villa Karisa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Le
We are sorry that you feel that villa karisa was not up to your standards.
We do not offer complimentary water as there is a free water dispenser in the room as well as a fridge and a minibar in the deluxe rooms
The hot water works fine as long as you pull the faucet to the left.
We offer complimentary shampoo, conditioner and soap with the room in individual bottles with a pump.
The housekeeping staff is busy around the clock cleaning rooms ,we are sorry if they were a bit delayed in making your room.
We offer American breakfast,french toast,french omelette and Indonesian nasigoreng as well as home made jams coffee and tea all included in the price of the room.
The pool gets warm as it is in the sun.
We have 2500 sq meters of secluded property with only 10 rooms in the most coveted area of Seminyak and not in kuta.
We appreciate your comments and try to improve our standard.
karisa team

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

The stay wasn't bad at all, the room are comfortable and the staff nice, the breakfast is OK, but we expected better.
The water in the pool is a little blurry, the toilet flush didn't work very well (even if I was told that it's normal), we didn't had warm water at the beginning, they told us that we had to wait 10min with he water running!!! But it was indeed broken, they fixed it afterwards. So, lots of 'little' inconvenients that make our stay so-so.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nmerydem
Reviewed 7 October 2017

A welcome oasis from the chaos of Seminyak. From the moment we arrived, we were struck by the calmness of the place, the cosy rustic-meets-modern interior and the friendliness of the staff. It felt like being a guest in someone's home, rather than commercial accommodation. The garden and pool areas are especially beautiful, with benches in the hallway outside the rooms, to allow you to sit and enjoy without getting fried by the sun (also for smokers but I'm not one of them): I even sat on our bench outside one night to drink my tea, with nobody else around.

The breakfast was simple but very tasty. We even got a complimentary slice of banana bread each day, which was very yummy. I didn't see it advertised, but it turns out the villa also offer dinner: I was peckish one evening and went into the main lounge to ask for local recommendations; at which point they showed me a list of home-cooked food... available until 20:00 I think.

The rooms were simple and rustic. Ours had a four poster bed and large bathroom, made even more authentic by the creaky wooden floorboards. My only gripe was that the hot water didn't last very long for the shower so two people can't shower consecutively in thermal comfort. This said, it is a minor comment as I'd highly recommend this place and would certainly come back if I'm ever in Seminyak again.

Room Tip: All rooms face onto the garden but I cannot compare the amenities in each room. We had a deluxe (Budda room) and it was great.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed in Villa Karisa for 4 days and had a really enjoyable time.
Room had a rustic touch with wooden furniture and unique bathrooms with white tiles.

The location itself only has around 10-12 bungalows and mostly non Indonesians, so surroundings were pretty quiet.

the only downside: Breakfast was standard. There was some options of either eggs, fried rice & fresh juice so after 2 days we decided to get our own breakfast by using GoJek.

areas nearby: seminyak beach is around 15 mins walk, shops and restaurants -- well, may have to walk a bit further than that to find interesting foods and cafes.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2017

Villa Karisa Boutique Hotel appeared to offered a great deal on the website and looked stunning in the website photos- so we opted to go for the mystical sounding 'Shiva Room' which was a little dearer and a little more daring with its outside bathroom and toilet. Arriving the hotel entrance is a little confusing as the walkway first passes the pods area of the hotel or hostel and then you enter the reception area of the Boutique Hotel. After a long journey we arrived and we were met by a frosty young man who was not particularly welcoming and silently showed us to the heavenly Shiva Room. Its amazing what a wide focus lens and good lighting can do as the photos that promised so much on line was in reality the room a small and dark room so essentially a shed with a bed in the middle. The outside bathroom was indeed outside but was alive with ants and appeared to be over looked. Not the best way to to enjoy you favourite page turner perched on the loo before hitting the streets. My main concern about the wonderfully named Shiv Room is that it was noisy as we were sandwiched between the “The Pods” part of the hotel and The Boutique section of the place - so could hear many voices of people coming and going. On the other side of the fence was laundry which seemed very busy and loud as well. I raised concerns with Mr Frosty on the desk, he was pretty indifferent and I said we would see if the noise was an issue over night. We snuggled down in our shed with a bed and the noise was a little intrusive but so was the light streaming in from The Pods section of the hotel. The next morning I politely asked if we could move into another room and we would pay more if necessary I was informed, the hotel was fully booked but we could move the following day into the Sumatra Suite. OK that 4 nights, 2 in Shiva Room and then move it was no big deal. The hotel generally is truly lovely and the layout and feel of the place is really special. The pool areas are relaxing and the layout of the grounds and corridors are very open plan. The garden is small but a delight and we really liked the place. My brother had flown in from Melbourne to meet up with us and his room was wonderful really lovely corner of the place and he seemed very happy. However the hotel could do with some decent staff training and a rethink about its services. Breakfast was not great strange white toast and no buffet and although the folks serving it are lovely the food was average. The bar was under stocked and was unable to serve drinks that involved gin or whisky. In fact the only alcohol they had was vodka and yet their drinks menu clearly on display offered a variety of cocktails and alcoholic beverages that they were unable to provide. We hired a driver courtesy of the hotel (Arri) and he was lovely and there was a very sweet woman on reception during the day (Milla) but over all the staff don’t seem to across what they are doing and some extra training maybe in order. We certainly liked our Sumatra Room a lot better than the "Shed with a Bed Suite” and were a lot happier in that quiet corner of the hotel away from the hustle and bustle of the street and The Pods next door. (What are pods anyway?). The pool was right outside our door and the laid back atmosphere of this hotel was to be richly enjoyed. Finally it came time to leave, the hotel arranged for a car to drive us to the airport in the early hours and we went to meet Mr. Frosty on reception to pay our bill. He assured me the Siva Suite and The Sumatra Room were the same price and I took him at his word (even though I had a niggling doubt that might not be the case). On returning home I looked on line and found that the Shiva Room was dearer and that the young man on reception had indeed been economic with the truth. When you stay in a hotel you expect to be treated fairly but more importunely honestly - when we settled our bill and he said the two rooms were the same price but he knew that that was not the truth but we were about to go to the other side of the world. I will return to Bali again it is a lovely wonderful country but I would not stay at Villa Karisa Boutique Hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't go for Shiva Suite go for cheaper rooms are rear
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple