“Pictures can say 1000 words - just a pity they're not always the right ones”
Review of Uma Sapna

Uma Sapna
Ranked #14 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
Adelaide
“Pictures can say 1000 words - just a pity they're not always the right ones”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This will unfortunately be my first negative review on Trip Advisor - and a pity that it is as we had such high hopes for our much needed holiday stay! We ended up checking out a few days early and ended our stay at the Kayana also in Seminyak.

I could bang on for quite a while about the issues that disappointed us - but that's a personal opinion and one that i'll be sharing directly with the hotel management - however there are a couple of issues that I think are worth a public forum (and isn't that the reason for Trip Advisor).

It started with our pick up at the airport - not by a car and driver from Uma Sapna - but by another service that they hard organised. We took a lot of back streets and our trip there took much longer than our trip back to the airport. When we've had similar opportunity staying elsewhere (like the Sarojin in Khao Lak Thailand) we were offered a cool drink (doesn't need to be a beer - just a bottle of water) and a cool towel to wipe our brow......nothing like that was offered. In fact the driver spent half his time trying to convince us that any other transportation options would be better procured directly through him and not through the hotel because they would try to rip us off!!! (I assume he wanted to rip us off directly himself!)

Then when we arrived - the greeting was pretty "cold and clinical" - rather than the warm hospitality we've encounted at every other Asian destination we've been to. Just ran us through the bill we could expect in the future, gave us 'vouchers' for the lunch, massage and trip that were part of our package and took us to our room. A little bit of pointing around at things in the room (including the welcome drinks that we only found about an hour after we got to our room) and then we were left to our own devices.......disappointing to say the least.

The room itself (Villa Flores) was pretty tired - a lot of chipped furniture, stained linens and disappointing decor - especially for somewhere that promotes itself as having an "art" background. When lying in bed - with only one reading light to share between the two of us) you were just looking at a blank wall. We were overlooked by a building site, and there was some weird screening going on on top of the villa (I assume to try to block some of the overlooking).

The bathroom was a little nicer - nice polished concrete floors, etc. but the glass door on the toilet (that blocked up twice while we were there - not good when there's a minor case of Bali Belly going on!) was a little strange as you watched yourself in the mirror opposite (maybe just a bit of frosted film strategically placed might help!).

The pool was nice - but the 10 foot bare concrete plastered walls on two sides of it left a little to be desired. The pool water also seemed a little cloudy some days - but cleared up over time. Still - we managed to get some reading and sun baking in - which was the main purpose of the trip.

We also had a day trip planned - with Nyoman our driver from the hotel who was very pleasant (but by that time we'd already made the decision to move hotels). We enjoyed ourselves (had lunch at the Kintamani volcano that was pretty cool) - but we felt at the end of the day that we'd really just been taken to the 'tourist traps' - culminating in a pretty ordinary and expensive dinner at Jinbaran (and my wife feeling off colour for the rest of the holiday as a result).

We ended up on the first full day we were there spending a fair amount of time looking for alternate accommodation - and ended up at the Kayana which was lovely.

All in all - I guess I didn't quite know what to expect from Bali - it was our first (and last) trip there. Compared with other trips to Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong - it was a real letdown. There are somethings that the Uma Sapna can't really help (it's location down a pretty dark back road and then down a laneway) and the overlooking from the building site next door. But there are things that don't cost much (cool drinks/towels, a smile when you check in, a little more 'service' for the guests who don't really know how the whole ritual of swapping vouchers for services etc might work) that could be implemented.....

...however, as we were wheeling our cases back to reception to check out - two gardening staff dropped their hoses and tools and came rushing over to help us with big smiles on their faces! Then after we'd left our bags after checking out (because we couldn't check in to our next location for a few hours), when we returned - they offered to transport us and our bags to our next hotel - when really we'd only asked them to call us a taxi! It's funny that little things like that put a smile on our faces as we left.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay at Uma Sapna - Pool Villa is the only way to go! (not the spa villa!)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Recently I stayed at Uma Sapna after I read the great reviews on tripadvisor.com

The villa was quiet nice, I stayed one night at one private spa pool. The villa was not as superb as I read, just clean and OK. At noon, a staff came in to turn on the anti-mosquito device in terrace. Breakfast was so-so, they took our order for breakfast the night before and delivered our breakfast to villa as our desired time. I personally like the taste of the Nasi Goreng. The spa pool was also OK, I hurt my knee when hit the outskirts of the ladder inside the pool. Overall, i think my stay at Uma Sapna was average

unfortunately, there's one thing that they neglected to care, lack of coordination between staff is a fatal error that can affect the customer's convenience. Even though I see that all staff were trying to be nice and friendly.

Two weeks before my stay, I booked one private spa pool bedroom by Uma Sapna's site. I also booked 1hour service massage to complete my stay at uma sapna. Then I received 1 confirmation emal stated that my card was charged by USD 187.55 for one night accommodation and 1 hour massage service. After receiving the email, I felt nothing is wrong and I'm excited to have my vacation at Uma Sapna.. According to my plan, if staying at uma sapna is so great as other reviews stated, I would like to extend my stay till the end of the week.
When I finally arrived at Uma Sapna, I was surprised by the bill that receptionist gave me, they said that they only charged the one night accommodation and not the massage service. I showed them the confirmation email that I receive, they said that I was wrong. They said that I should receive 2 emails which will explain their term and condition. I did not want to be blamed, it was not my fault after all. I already check my inbox and even spam, there's no 2nd email as they told. After I showed them my inbox and spam folder, they blamed the reservation system which not send me the 2nd email. After that, they don't give me any explanation about the different. To assure myself, I called my credit card company to confirm bill from Uma Sapna, and they confirmed that uma sapna only charge for one night accommodation. Somehow it showed me that coordination between Uma Sapna staffs were not right therefore a misunderstanding.

Then the next day, another unfortunate came to me. My booking of 1 hour massage could not be done because they have no therapist available for me. They said that I should booked at the time I check in to get my massage. Again, the receptionist did not give me that explanation. Luckily, the therapist could come to give me my 15 minutes complimentary massage, at least, it was my only comfort after all those unfortunates. Again, it's lack of coordination and lack of communication from Uma Sapna staff.

will i be back to uma sapna? perhaps.. but I have to make sure that I get all information that I needed and get all the service that I required BEFORE I arrive at uma sapna

Room Tip: always close your door to have your room cooled.
3 Thank kimzbear
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed over Easter with my partner Kate. Excellent facilities and location. Great staff who repected our privacy and assisted whenever we asked them to. Very much an oasis. Room service was good quality as well as was the breakfast included although the eggs benedict varied a bit in quality dependent on the chef. Had one night where the aicon in the office next door to our villa was noisey. Was 3 am. They switched it off and greeted us the next day with 90 minute massage vouchers for two at their spa retreat. Thats service. We'd go back there. Loved it.

Singapore
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed here for 3D2N with a bunch of girlfriends. We managed to book the 2 BR villa at a travel industry rate. The car pickup at the airport was smooth, we were served with cold bottled mineral water and cool towels to beat the heat by the friendly driver. The 2 BR villa is of a good size, with ample space for sun decks near the pool area. As for the rooms, the beds were comfy and huge, another point to note is the shower area have no doors so it's really an open concept bathroom. The breakfast here is served as per an order list where you can tick and choose what you like then hanged the list outside your villa door and voila, they will be served right to your doorstep the next day. Quality wise it's rather tasty too. We look forward to breakfast everyday when we were there. :) As it is very warm in Bali, we appreciate that there is a huge water dispenser given to us rather than bottes and bottles of water. More environmental friendly. The only gripe we have is we wished that the living area and kitchen were air-conditioned, as the heat in Bali can get rather unbearable especially in the afternoon. Overall a wonderful stay and a good hotel for those who want to try out villa type of stay in Bali at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank syloft
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Staying at Uma Sapna was a total bliss...all the staff were hands down polite, helpful and super friendly! Everything about this place is excellent! Location, service, bedroom layout, bathroom and gorgeous private pool...We will definitely come back here!

Room Tip: Villa Aru!
1 Thank kittycatcub