“Stylish” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tulip - CLOSED

Tulip
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 50
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bali, Indonesia
“Stylish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Mmmm I've got mixed feelings about this, but here goes....the restaurant is stylish and spacious overlooking a large pond and has a nice atmosphere.
Service is good, friendly and efficient
Food - to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed, perfectly OK, no disasters but just not as good as I was hoping for!

Visited February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
“dreadful - save your money and time and don't bother going here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor a number of us decided to go last Friday night to Tulip. Perhaps our expectations were too high but by the end of the evening we couldn't escape fast enough. The restaurant is quite small and reasonably attractive. The service was polite but strange - it felt that we were being served by a number of Balinese Manuels [ the incompetent waiter from Fawlty Towers].

You can select the entree course from a number of mezze choices - here is were it started to be extremely unusual The different mezzes are presented to you on a tray by two waiters who attempted [not very well] to explain what the contents of each bowl was. Once you made your selection they tookthe bowl off the tray and placed it in front of you. It felt almost cafeteria-like, my question was how long had the bowls been sitting on the tray for before we started making our selections??. The serving procedure also meant that by the time the last person in our group received their entree 25 minutes has elapsed.

At the same time we had the unfortunate aural experience of a balinese flamenco guitarist [???] playing background to an Indonesian opera singer who was excruciatingly and VERY loudly murdering some classic songs ranging from ABBA to 'Don't cry for me Argentina'. This is not background music conducive to a pleasant evening. In fact it wasn't background music as it WAS SOOOOO LOUD!!!! I wanted to take a knife and puncture my ear drums so I wouldn't have to listen any more - it was so awful.

The most I can say about the Main course was that it was edible. Only one person thought there meal was good and my husband's meal was verging on inedible but it certainly looked unpalatable.

I am not even going to comment on the service as that was woeful. Very surprising in Bali as everywhere else that we had been, the waiters were so eager to please....not here.

We all requested the bill [this took quite some time to produce] and literally ran out as quickly as we could, electing to have dessert and coffee and a more hospitable restaurant.

I still need someone to explain to me how this restaurant was ranked as number 2 in Seminyak on Trip Advisor. We ate out every night for 21 days and this was by far the WORST restaurant not one of the best.

My advice would be to avoid this restaurant at all costs.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank SueFischer
Serkan Y, Owner at Tulip, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear SueFischer,

Thanks for dining at Tulip.
I am sorry that our food and service did not satisfy you last Friday night.

I just want to answer to some of your questions on your review :

1)how long had the bowls been sitting on the tray for before we started making our selections??.

We do cook our Mezes DAILY and keep them in the refrigerator and take the tray out to serve to each table.Thats why they are cold and called COLD APPETIZERS and they sit on the tray maximum 3 minutes to come to your table from the refrigerator.

2)About our Balinese Falemenco Guitarist???

He is Mr.Lianto Tjahjoputro,one of the most talented and famous Indonesian GUITAR MASTER who is a living legend.(you can learn more about him on google or youtube)
Probably you are not a fan of the music they played,I understand but if it WAS SOOOOO LOUD!!!! you could just inform our staff and we would kindly inform them to decrease the volume of the speaker which was next to you.

3)I still need someone to explain to me how this restaurant was ranked as number 2 in Seminyak on Trip Advisor.

Tulip is open since 7 months and have been on Trip Advisor since 4 months.So far YOURS is the only terrible review we have got and hopefully will be the last as guest satisfaction is the most important thing for us.

Finally,I do apologize again for letting you leave unsatisfied but would love to serve you again on your next trip to change your opinions about Tulip.

Thanks & Regards,

Serkan YILDIRIM
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“Perfect dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

One of the best turkish restaurants i've been to. Delicious food, nice setting, affordable. Good service. I wish it would open in jakarta - would love to go there again and again.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Guzel_S
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous Turkish - Go there & try it, you will not be disappointed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I am a Turkish food fan who went with 6 others who had never tried Turkish before. Service was excellent. Food, the best I've had anywhere (I am a Turkish fan!). All had a mezze plate, main and some had room for desert!! No one could fault any of the food. After reading some reviews here asked the service to wait until we had drinks, bring all entrees/mains/desert together and had no problem (after all we were in Bali & know only too well service problems). It was pouring rain but didn't matter. All went back 5 days later - only restaurant we doubled up on. Have a Coffee just to see the cups! Bought some cups on ebay on return.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
“a must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

a GREAT place to visit when in bali! the food is great although i would keep away from their soups. i am now a lover of turkish food and so is my partner. their melted chocolate desert is to die for!

Visited February 2012