“Great location, clean and friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Teka-Teki House

Teka-Teki House
Ranked #24 of 103 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Mosman, New South Wales, Australia
“Great location, clean and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I chose this place based on Trip Advisor reviews and I wasn't disappointed. Great location, the lovely Jules made us feel right at home, quiet, clean and a great breakfast. I'll be back next time I'm in Seminyak, highly recommended (and top value, too).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Topeng room which was lovely
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Adoreyoga
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Don't you just love when you come off a plane in a new country and there is someone holding a sign with your name on it? This is what happened when I turned up in Bali last month. We were met and whisked through the mayhem at Denpasar airport and delivered to Teka-Teki House.
On arrival the rooms were clean and inviting with little flowers on the pillows even better than the pictures. Jules was a great hostess, organizing us with restaurants and a great breakfast in the morning. Great value Rosemary

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Before I write my review of this place, a wee bit of back ground first: - I have been traveling in SEA for over 6 months now (Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Singapore & Indonesia). I have stayed in the full spectrum from 5 star resorts to Bamboo shacks on the beach.
I use TA heavily and as you can read, i review all places I stay at. One thing that is annoying me recently is the false, or over rated reviews of accommodation on this site. Unfortunately TTH falls into this category. Before staying at TTH I had stayed in Canggu, West Flores, Ubud & Seminyak. I chose TTH because of its TA Status, locations and excellent reviews. I stayed in the Barong room for 15 nights and was attending surf school for 14 days whilst in Seminyak.

The Good: -
1) The location is excellent, down a side street / lane off one of the main drags which get you away from all the noise and traffic. Close to good restaurants and tourist facilities.
2) The breakfast (complimentary) is a wide selection and plentiful
3) The staff working there are pleasant and friendly.
4) The price suited my needs for the length of my stay.
5) Having free water, tea, coffee and cold drinks / snacks available is nice, but I must reinforce that this is nothing new and different and most, if not all places in SEA offer this......using this feature as a plus or positive for TTH is unwarranted. It is and should be the norm!

The Not So Good:-
1) The wifi connection is terrible! I have to work while I travel and need a good reliable connection. The wifi at TTH was "out" for at least half the time I was there. When I asked the staff about this, I was told to "just wait". I gave up after 3 days and went up the road to a cafe where it was fine, as are the hundreds of other places offering free wifi on Bali.
2) The Barong room is a dark box with no natural light. Noise from anyone sitting on the couch outside the room is LOUD. If there are guests staying in the room above you, it sounds like they are about to come through the ceiling. Luckily, I was out for most of the days during my stay....there is zero atmosphere and apart from locking yourself in the room, zero privacy.
3) Cleanliness in this room needs to be addressed - seriously, pull the curtains, turn the lights on and have a thorough look at the entire room.....long black hairs all over the place, sand / dust in all the corners, marks on the walls......what's going on on the wall beside the bed?? The bathroom has stains on the back of the door and is need of a deep clean!
4) Water pressure varies during the day, as does the amount of hot / warm water. On 3 occasions, the water simply ran out!!
5) I thought it was about weird reading all the 5 star comments on the wall in the communal kitchen....especially regarding the wonderful host Jules. I stayed for 15 nights, was never greeted by the host, never saw the host, was never asked if everything is / was OK by the host......and apparently she and her husband live in the room next door :). I would consider her level of hospitality to be poor!

Many owners reply to these not so great reviews with stock standard replies of, "why didn't you bring this to our attention", or "If it was so bad, why didn't you move" well, TTH suited my immediate needs and was an economical option for me. I was happy to put up with the conditions as I was out for most of the day. It was just somewhere to crash at the end of the day. It's not the guests job to be doing quality control checks and feedback for the place....the owner needs to be facilitating this.

TTH is just OK, but I honestly do not believe it deserves all the Hype and Rave Reviews it receives on this site. I have stayed in far better places on Bali.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Barong Room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank toosdh
Vientiane, Laos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

In stayed for a few nights in April and really enjoyed my stay. My hosts were accommodating and very friendly. I was made to feel extremely welcome and nothing seemed to be any trouble. Breakfast was excellent especially the black rice pudding which was amazing. The main road is a high pitch noise of taxis tooting and endless traffic. But the B&B is tucked off the main road making it very quiet. I was concerned initially about the dark lane to the place at night. But it is a short walk and there is a guard patrol station part way down the lane so no problems. They also had an excellent taxi driver who picked me up from the airport and took me to Ubud at reasonable rates. A thoroughly recommended place to stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in room that looked at the breakfast area. If you are a light sleeper you might want to cho...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Tracie0909
Ubud, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

A quite oasis in the middle of bustling Seminyak. It's centrally located, but down a quite little street. The rooms were simple and clean. the place is charming. Feels very safe. Peaceful night sleep and an absolutely delicious breakfast. Some of the best mei goreng I have had in Bali - and quality fresh fruit. Very often when breakfast is included in the stay, it's rather forgettable/unsatisfying. This was filling and delicious. They definitely do not skimp. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We got the bedroom upstairs with a shared bath and it was perfect. The balcony view is way better th...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple