“Rude manager”

Price range: US$ 14 - US$ 31
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Consistently popular since 2002, Pomodoro Italian Restaurant has provided a unique dining experience with home made Italian dishes designed by our Master Chef. We insist on using only the freshest ingredients, and pair our dishes with our world-class wine selection. Prepare to be wined and dined in a warm and friendly atmosphere. - Join us to enjoy true Italian hospitality, and discover the best in flavours that Italy has to offer.
Reviewed 25 May 2017

The food and service are more or less just " okay " but I have yet to meet a more miserable man in charge of a restaurant in my life . Our waitress was friendly and tried her best to explain the menu and made recommendations but in the end made a mistake and did not add a bottle of wine to out bill . I only saw the mistake once we got home __ I immediately called the restaurant and told the manger about the mistake . He rudely advised me to mind my own business and that the waitress already had to pay for the wine since it was her mistake . I really took exception to such a brash and rude response and went back the next day and insisted to speak to the waitress who served us the previous evening and returned her money to her . He was again rude and badly mannered and told me that she should be made to pay for her mistakes , thereby learning to be more attentive in future . Take the cost of an expensive bottle of wine off a waitress' wages for a rather ordinary evening and see what's left of it ? Never again !

1  Thank Thom N

Reviewed 26 February 2017

We searched on TripAdvisor for a good takeaway pizza restaurant and came across Pomodoro. We ordered our pizza over the phone and were given a time to collect. Upon arrival two pizzas were ready and waiting but the third had been forgotten about. While the two pizzas got cold, the third was prepared. We asked if we could have some chopped chillie and we were told it was R10 extra where as most places offer this complimentary, not the end of the world at this point. We then asked for salt and they did not have any, not for their own pizzas and nor any in their restaurant. Since we were visiting Somerset West we did not have any salt in the place we were staying so we bought some from the shopping mall while waiting for the third pizza.

We arrived at our accommodation only 3 minutes drive down the road to find our pizzas cold. Sometimes cold pizza is nice so we thought this okay. We thought our patience and the hiccups along the way would be worthwhile since this pizza takeaway has a 4-star review, however, all pizzas were so shockingly below average that we agreed that it would be better to have ordered from a chain store where a certain level of average pizza is expected and thus equally enjoyed. The pizza base was partially raw, was dry and chewy to the point whereby none of them were finished despite our hungry stomachs. The ingredients were not fresh, of poor quality and were minimal (and yes, I have been to Italy and eaten Italian pizzas of this minimalist style). This restaurant seems to be trying to cut costs, of which there is nothing wrong with being efficient and making a profit, but then you must make a good product that outweighs the obvious cons.

As a point of reference, we have eaten Pizza all over the world and live in Cape Town (where there are some excellent Italian restaurants and takeout pizzerias). This was without a doubt one of the most disappointing takeaway meals we have eaten. This is my first review on TripAdvisor and I am sad that it has to be a negative one. Hopefully, this review will sharpen up this kitchen and uninterested management, and in the event that others happen upon this restaurant, it may sway them to perhaps try somewhere else and avoid a likely disappointment.

2  Thank TDTA2017
Reviewed 13 January 2017

Usually not a pizza fan, but family convinced me to try the pizzas from Pomodoro's - Wow!! Absolutely delicious, with likely the best bases I've ever tried.

Reviewed 3 December 2016

It was always a favourite and had many good meals there but last night it lacked something, do not know why or what. We still had a fairly good meal last night but one thing I missed was the "BUZZ" it always had.

Reviewed 16 September 2016

During our stay in Somerset we been to this restaurant twice and enjoyed it very much. The place is a bit hidden in a small shopping centre located behind the pizza shop.
The interior is simple but cozy and and very nice. The food is outstanding, I had the lasagne ( which was the reason for our second visit) while my wife had the pork medallions with salad. Both meals were very tasty and rather big. On our first visit my wife had the creme brûlée for dessert which she enjoyed while I had a Dom petro which was quite strong and enjoyable. Unlike a previous review we found the manager very nice and quite entertaining with a dry sense of humour. All in all a great restaurant and good food at reasonable prices.

1  Thank 4711rws