“Clueless service”

Add it.
Le Verger - The Orchard Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 102 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: French
Description: Le Verger restaurant is currently closed to the public, as it is undergoing renovations. However, it can be hired out exclusively for private functions.
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

We visited with hotel guests and went for lunch at Le Verger.

After approximately 15 minutes we managed to place our drinks order, and at the same time we also ordered scones from the menu, as our kids were very hungry at the time.

20 minutes later we were informed that the scones were sold out and after some negotiations we managed to convince the quite obstinate waitress to get my wife a kiddies burger (as she doesn't need a big lunch and there are no light lunches on the menu apart from scones). The waitress at this point also became a little snotty with our daughter when she was disappointed about the fact that there were no scones - for which she had been waiting quite a while.

I ordered a burger from the main menu at more than double the price of a kiddies burger (the menu promised a homemade brioche bun and jalapeño poppers with the burger).

We then waited some time for the food order to arrive, with occasional promises that the food is on the way, and eventually four out of the five orders were delivered. The fifth, my burger, was nowhere to be seen. It took about 15 minutes to attract the attention of any restaurant staff to enquire about the missing burger, and once we managed to ask, it became clear that the burger was forgotten and had to be prepared from scratch. At this point the burger was removed from our bill, which is a saving grace.

The burger came pretty quickly, but was identical to the kiddies burgers (no brioche bun, no jalapeño poppers, the patty may have been two bites larger) - at what would have been double the price.

I finished the burger before we could attract the attention of a staff member again, and when I inquired about the missing items from the waitress she seemed absolutely clueless about what I was asking - claiming that I also ordered a kiddies burger...

The waitress never once wrote down anything, and was really tough to get a hold of for most of the time we were seated. The manager only managed to state the obvious - that this service is not to standard, and that they will work with the waiters again.

Clueless service indeed

Reviewed 6 February 2016

What a shame. Due to poor training, the service was atrocious. Nice setting, food good. Good ambiance. Waited 20 to 25 minutes for starter, then main arrive and placed on table before I had finished my starter. The saying, "Ruin the ship for a half penny of tar," springs to mind.

Reviewed 24 February 2015

situated at the La Franschhoek Hotel and Spa, Le Verge is an nice spot for lunch, music is playing in the background and inside the lovely glass houses, its like having lunch in a garden. The attentiveness of the waitresses could be better though, but I still love it.

Reviewed 12 January 2015

This is a very elegant looking place situated deep in the valley. We came across it when finding our way to a hiking track. So one afternoon we decided to take a closer look. The house is lovely and so are the grounds. We were looking for an enjoyable lunch and were offered to sit on the terrace in those beautiful surroundings. There seemed to be a flurry amongst the staff as we came and we were approached three times by different individuals wanting to take our order. Then we got to wait and wait, even though the staff seemed to outnumber the guests… The food was nice when we got it and everything looked first class.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Phoned to make a booking for lunch on saturday at Le Verger. When we arrived know body knew what was happening, we were seated in a open lounge area and offed a drink. When we asked if we could go through to have lunch as per our reservation, we were looked at as if we were from out of space. We were told that they are only serving high tea. I asked why we where not told that only high tea was served for lunch on a saturday at 13h00 when the reservation was made, I was told that they do serve lunch but not on rainy days???? I was very upset and we left and have a lovely lunch at Spier wine estate.