“Outstanding food”
Review of Le Coin Francais

Le Coin Francais
Ranked #2 of 101 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Description: “Le Coin Français” embodies the essence of the Franschhoek valley by reflecting the heritage, elegant French cuisine and wine of the local area. Multiple award-winning Chef de cuisine and owner, Darren Badenhorst (previously executive chef of The Restaurant at Grande Provence), will take diners on a journey through his interpretations of nostalgic food memories.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Went with the 6 course tasting menu with wine pairing and not a single dish let us down. Delicious food all the way through and the wine pairing was just perfect. There are plenty of excellent restaurants in Franschhoek but Le Coin Francais stands out - a must try for food and wine lovers.

1  Thank JeLundgren
le_coin_francais, Owner at Le Coin Francais, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Good day,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review. I will pass on your wonderful feedback to my staff.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I think Darren will be joining the Top 10 very soon. We had a lovely dinner at Le Coin Francais in March. I loved all the dishes (my husband and I had the 8 course option so we were able to taste all the dishes). It was a great touch that Darren himself comes out to serve one of the courses to you. Highly recommend, booking essential!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We were slightly torn on our experience here, this being a pricey restaurant. The service was great and some of the food delicious - specifically a smoked fish, a small in-between course which showcased that the chef has some nice tricks up his sleeve. His penchance for using popcorn was less successful, and as per usual in South Africa - for our tastes - things were too much on the sugary side. Wines were equally hit and miss. I get that others might be more positive about this, which also has a very nice vibe, but for us and at the pricepoint, it was somewhere between three and four stars.

1  Thank Felix R
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We were able to get into this relatively new fine dining restaurant the same day, while most fine dining 'usual suspects' in Franschhoek were fully booked. Boy did we not regret it! We had the 6 course tasting menu with wine pairing but next time we would go for 8 because the food and wines were just amazing. Subtle but superb. The chocolate desert was the best we had in years. We loved the staff who were really friendly and knowlegdable in a modest way. And the price is really acceptable compared to others!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We were there a few days after opening night. Perhaps a few service niggles (understandable as the staff just needed to get their groove going), but nothing major, the food definitely made up for it. We really enjoyed the fact that some of the dishes were kept as a surprise, hope they continue with that. The monkfish was out of this world!!