“Fantastic Restaurant”
Review of La Petite Colombe

La Petite Colombe
Ranked #1 of 98 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Reviewed 13 January 2018

We heard that La Colombe in Capetown had been rated in the top 10 in the world, and when we discovered that they had opened La Petite Colombe in Franschhoek we just had to go. We were spending Christmas and New Year with our family in Langebaan, and managed to book a table for lunch just before Christmas. We opted for the 5 course fixed menu, but in view of the long drive back to Langebaan decided not to have the wine pairing. All the staff were friendly and efficient, and service was prompt without being rushed. The presentation of each course is like a work of art. There are two choices for each course, and for us the highlights were the oyster, the langoustine, and the lamb. A lovely touch was the lamb rib (which is part of the lamb course) served from a little barbeque on the table. All the flavours exceeded our expectations and we will definitely return when we are next in the area.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

Absolutely delicious. Hands down the best meal I had in South Africa, and a very strong overall performance. Will happily go again!

Reviewed 11 January 2018

I love La Colombe! Whenever we are in Cape Town I have booked to lunch at La Colombe without fail for 7 years and just loved the idea of Scot Kirton spreading his wings to Franschhoek. I booked to dine here in October 2017.......for a January 2018!
We visited the restaurant to check that they had noticed my gluten free status and we were asked to choose a table. It appeared to be “the table”. Perfect. We dined here on Tuesday January 9th and “ John the chef” was not in the kitchen. Disappointment 1.
I like to lunch/dine at a restaurant Michelin or otherwise with “the chef” in the kitchen.....
Our waitress was lovely, informative and our sommelier likewise.
At our age, the full menu can be “too much” so we went for the “reduced” menu.
I had emphasised my GF intolerance more than once and was therefore alarmed when my oyster came in soy sauce. This is an absolute no no for gluten intolerance which I am sure John Norris Rogers would have been aware of. The oyster was replaced after my comments, immediately by another and without with soy sauce. Another black mark.... never seen before by us in Cape Town.
The other courses were beautiful, tasty and La Colombe but..... not as memorable as we had experienced in CT.
We finished with a couple of glasses of wine which were “ pas bon” .... not what we expected ....surely the sommelier knows....3rd black mark.....
So we left having paid for an expensive meal which we had looked forward to for a long time, feeling a little underwhelmed. So sad. We will try again.....

Reviewed 11 January 2018

We had dinner at La Petite Colombe. My husband had the full tasting menu and I had the reduced menu. The food was delicious with wonderful flavours and presented beautifully. The wine pairing was interesting and our waiter appeared knowledgeable about each wine he served us. Would have been five stars but for the interior of the restaurant which was not as welcoming and intimate as we would have liked.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

With much anticipation we had a special lunch at La Petite Colombe. The setting is gorgeous, the staff are excellent. They are all young and well trained and genuinely interested in enhancing the experience for the customer. The food is very very good. The wine list was extensive but the mark up were particularly high even for a fine dining restaurant in Franschhoek. We had the four course menu as it was lunch. Plenty of food involved. Freshly baked Bread was divine, Tuna starter, a lot of mayo but tasty. Pork belly and fish course, very good. Lango was also gorgeous, delicate and served with the signature la colombe sweet corn sauce (from Franks days). my fav course was the meet the chefs duck miso... don't want to spoil it for you but very unique. There was also a lamb rib served on a barbeque at the table... interesting. Some unusual art worth enjoying too. We will come back but definitely with our budget, only on a special occasion...