“Wonderful getaway”
Review of Minerals Hotel

Minerals Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Just an hour from NJ/NY and suburbs headed northwest, Crystal Creek Lodge was a special birthday overnight spa location for 4 friends at the Minerals Hotel and the Elements spa The treatments were really special (and we've been around); the yoga and exercise classes the same. Grand Cascades, the sister (brother?) hotel was a few minutes away although it looked like a lovely Colorado ski resort. We went for a wonderful dinner there at the Crystal Tavern and returned for lunch before leaving on our way home and it was wonderful. Spending some time around the pool in this most crazy 80+ degree weather we could see the ski mountain which was the main draw to the area for years. It seems like a great family resort and i look forward to returning with my extended family in the winter for skiing, indoor pools and of course, the spa.

Room Tip: When asking for "mountain view" make sure your room is not facing rt 94. traffic was loud...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Madelane
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Minerals Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2012

we stayed in the basic 2 queen room, it was very nice. Grand Cascades looked a bit classier, but for the extra $100 a night not sure if that's worth it.
The Minerals pool was being refurbished (although it looks like it would be really nice) so they gave us passes for the biosphere at Grand Cascades - highly recommend.
Also, Minerals has a wonderful family-friendly golf course, including special "Family tees" and bucket-sized golf holes. My kids 11 and 13 loved that and the water slide at GC.
The hotel also has a pristine indoor basketball court with banked track above.
Staff was friendly and helpful.

1  Thank eli37
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I traveled with my two children, daughter (age 13) and son (age 8) to Minerals Resort April 11-13. This being Spring Break week for most NJ schools, I was prepared to deal with crowds. Clearly the resort was near capacity but the hotel is so large, it never really felt overwhelmingly crowded. We very much enjoyed our stay but there are a few little quirks. Our room was a standard hotel room, two queen beds, table, chairs and was very clean. Nice touches are an in room safe in which you program the combination yourself, coffee pot, a large bathtub and plenty of closet space. (great for hanging up wet bathing suits to dry as there is a tile floor underneath). As a previous poster mentioned, there is a “green” heating and cooling system with a manual thermostat that shuts off when the desired room temp is reached but unfortunately, it doesn’t go back on automatically if the room starts to heat up again. It is an odd quirk that required me to get up in the middle of the night to put the air on again. The only other complaint, and it is a small one, is that there is not a comfortable chair in the room. I travel solo with my children often as husband cannot get away easily and after they go to bed, I like to sit in a comfy chair reading my book. The only options for seating in our room are straight back, hard table chairs, not very relaxing! Those would be my only two very minor complaints with the hotel. Other than that we really enjoyed our stay. There was something for all of us to enjoy. The children LOVED the pools and it was fun to swim outside in the heated pool at night time on a cool April night. I took fitness classes each day while I was there and while the majority of the attendees were Mineral gym members, I was still made to feel welcome by the staff and members. Hotel guests are issued a bracelet each day to utilize the gym and pools, consequently it is easy to tell the members from the guests. It is a good sign that the gym members speak so highly about the facility! My son loved the arcade and while it was not large was more than adequate for a couple of hours of enjoyment. We also loved the gigantic indoor basket court and had fun there more than once. We intended to explore the grounds even more but we were busy with the activities at the resort the entire time we were there! Although the weather was poor for two days of our stay, there is so much to do indoors you barely notice. We did not eat on premises but friends who traveled with us had dinner and breakfast at The Kites restaurant. Their take was the breakfast was a little pricey for what they had but they reported the dinner was quite good. I joined them for a glass of wine at the fireplace while they waited for their reservation and that was lovely. We chose to leave the resort to dine as my children were more interested in hamburgers and chicken nuggets so the finer dining of the Kites restaurant would have been lost on them. I believe during season there are more options for kids friendly dining in the hotel but while we were there it seemed to only be the Kites restaurant. We did have two terrific dinners down the street at The Georges Inn, a family friendly pub style restaurant with a good menu and very reasonable prices. We ate breakfast at the Vernon Diner, also right down the street, which provided a classic diner breakfast at a very reasonable prices. As with any family friendly destination there are parents who don’t watch their misbehaving children but Minerals tries to head this off with signs in the hallways requesting no running and please talk quietly. Minerals lifeguards are responsive when there are problems as they repeatedly checked the hot tub to remove children and immediately halted an episode at the outdoor pools where a group of boys were behaving in a disruptive manner to the rest of the guests. We found the service throughout the hotel to be responsive and friendly. Joe, the Bell Hop, is the best! Good luck, Joe, with your musical career but please, please stay employed at Minerals, you are the best! I also must comment that I felt very safe in this hotel, quite important for a woman traveling alone with her children. Overall, we highly recommend this as a nearby getaway.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony.
1  Thank bakay138
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Kites needs a management make over. I am not one to leave detailed comments about restaurants,however, with the poor service we recieve and over cooked food that hit out palettes, I just had to. Upon arrival on a Wednesday evening we were told at 5:45 that there would be no seats until 8:30 for dinner. Even though only 3 or 4 of all the 25+ tables were empty I still understood since we did not make reservations. Decided to hang in the lounge area and just order and eat there since we had two toddlers, at least they could stretch their legs. Ordered our entire meal (appetizers, kids choices, main course) the bar and requested that our kids items be served first since they were hungry. Here is where it gets good. 50 minutes later, yes 50; our kids menu items came out (hot dog and chicken fingers - fried we asked for grilled) looking like and feeling like play food. Our crab cake app could have been used as a hockey puck, my crab risotto was undercooked, the crabs in it were over cooked, my wife's filet was marginal and and and and!!!! Only 6 of the tables were now seated. The whole time we were not offered a table until I demanded to be seated or I would just leave the food at the lounge.

Unbelievable! It's unfortunate this is the only In minerals to dine. Oh wait there is more.

Next evening after dining at Milano's which was great I ran up Kites to order a dessert. I figure how bad could that be. I ordered dessert, wasn't even busy, maybe 8 or 9 tables full, and it took me 30 mins to get 2 pieces of pie. It took 15 mins to get 1 order, but they decided to wait to tell me they were out of something else before asking me my other selection. And the. It took another 15 mins to get me my other choice.

Even better!!!!! So I gave kites one last shot. I Ordered a salad from the room, and ask how long it would take, the hostess said 30 mins??? I responded quickly and said are you serious? And luckily it was done in ten minutes. When I ran to kites to see how "busy" they were I also flipped! 3 tables full. Bunch of waiters and waitresses standing around.

What a joke! The servers are nice look all like young collee kids, but the management or training needs a major overhaul.

I made it a point to tell people I met around the resort not to eat at kites, only to hear they had similar experiences. I did however turn about 8 or 9 families away from kites to dine at Milano's. They could not have been happier.

It's funny how those at Milanos and at the Vernon diner hear about all these complaints from kites for years now. I only wish I had read reviews.

Come to think of it, this is the longest review I have ever written. This is one to share with other this sites.

7  Thank Armando T
CrystalSpringsNJ, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear Kites Restaurant at Minerals Resort and Spa did not meet your expectations. We take your feedback very seriously, as we strive to deliver the best service to our guests. I've shared your review with our Food & Beverage Mangers, as this is the first time we're hearing about your dining experience. Our team is investigating your concerns and will take the appropriate actions to improve the experience of our guests.

If at anytime during a guest's stay he/she is not satisfied, we hope they would bring the matter to the attention of our managers. All of our guests receive at least one call from our concierge during their stay, and our managers are available 24/7 should a guest wish to voice a concern. We'd love to hear from you directly, so please feel free to call us at anytime.

Again, your feedback is very important to us and we apologize for your experience. We hope you'll give Kites Restaurant, one of Crystal Springs' most popular dining venues, another chance to exceed your expectations.

Kim Uczkowski
Minerals Resort & Spa at Crystal Springs

Reviewed 14 April 2012

The rooms have been somewhat recently updated and are reasonably contemporary and comfortable..,and there's no complaints about cleanliness. The spa and fitness center are exceptionally nice. While I didn't use the pools, they look incredible. My one complaint is that the WiFi is only in the lobby. The rooms are hardwired though and the access if complimentary, which is great...but when I called the front desk to inquire about Internet access and mentioned WiFi, the attendant told me that it was only in the lobby, which is where I headed to do my work, and she neglected to mention that hardwired Internet was available in the room. It's not very noticeable like most are and only the next morning did I notice the cable hiding in a drawer. All in all a very nice place, but the prices are a bit exorbitant, presumably because it's one of only two substantial places to stay at Mountain Creek -- while it may be one of the closest ski resorts to metro New York City, it's definitely not that special as far as skiing and snowboarding go.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms have small patios, if that's desirable to you.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
3.7 km away
23.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
27.5 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chester - Monroe - Goshen

Been to Minerals Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK