“Worth the minor inconveniences!”

Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Oakville, Canada
“Worth the minor inconveniences!”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I arrived on Saturday, Feb 11. Plenty of free parking. Only one guest elevator working. My room did not have a phone - however, they transferred me to another room. Climbing the stairs to go to my floor was no great inconvenience. Excellent exercise room. Good restaurants close by. Bus to New York just across the street. Very friendly staff. Very comfortable and clean beds. Even though there were a few inconveniences, overall the experience was perfect. I saved about 75% of what i would have paid in New York and it took me 15 minutes to get to New York. So, for 15 minutes of travel, it was worth the savings. Very highly recommend. I was a bit skeptical (having read poor reviews), but i was pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: I got the room on the third floor - just right for running up and down the stairs, instead of waitin...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank canadian040258
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Upon arrival at the Courtyard - Secaucus, I noticed all the windows and doors and the adjacent club were boarded up with plywood. Not an auspicious beginning.

There are absolutely no signs leading from Harmon Meadow Blvd. to the parking lot. Once I got to the parking lot and found a parking space, I got out and traversed through a minefield of debris, chain-link fences, and garbage dumpsters, following signs to the entrance. But the entrance was not really an entrance. Due to renovation construction, the entrance had moved. No signage indicated this.

Check-in was a simple process. Then I had to embark on a journey down an employee-only hallway to the freight elevator. The freight elevator was slow. So slow that by the second day, I was taking the back stairwell down from my fifth floor room.

Day two started down the back stairway and into a temporary breakfasting area that served barely passable breakfast fare, The fact that the hotel had the audacity to charge $7 for this showed a complete lack of common sense. But it gets better. Upon returning on the second night, there were no parking spaces available on the ground floor due to the fact that the parking garage is also shared by an L.A. Fitness gym. There is not signage away from the parking deck ramp to indicate that there is even a second floor available for parking. It is becoming apparent that people in New Jersey cannot read by the lack of signage.

Day three started the same with the back hallway and the crappy breakfast. Upon return, the hallway to the freight elevator was blocked off. Would you believe me if I told you there was no signage? The only way I knew where to go was that a union goon, probably on one of his 47 mandatory breaks, informed me that the actual entrance and elevators were now functional. Well sort of. One of the two elevators worked and was at least as slow as the freight elevator.

There were a few more days. Breakfast continued to suck.

But it was not all bad. The staff are very helpful and very courteous. The rooms are in the same vein as all remodeled Courtyards. The new reception area will be nice. I, however, will not come back to enjoy it. This was a horrible experience.

The website should have mentioned that the hotel was undergoing renovation. This is not rocket surgery.

I would only recommend this hotel to someone I completely loathed.

The location, while not bad, is far from good. There is a Sam's Club and Wal Mart in walking distance as well as some nearby restaurants.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Lang C
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I first stayed in this hotel in 2005 while working in New York City. I stayed there four nights a week for about eight weeks and still use it periodically. The hotel is just off of the New Jersey Turnpike and offers free parking in a patrolled lot.

The beds and rooms were fine, but the staff is very accommodating of business travelers. During one stay, the manager asked about my rest the previous night. It had been my first night of this stay. I made some off hand comment about hard beds and went to work. When I got back there was a new quilt top cushion on my bed.

I didn't ask for much while I was there, but everything I did ask for was handled promptly.

The bus to NYC stops right by the hotel, goes around to the other hotels in the complex, a park and ride and then directly to Port Authority in NYC.

I visited again after a few years of not staying there. The night manager recognized me when I checked in and welcomed me like an old friend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side. The front gets a little noisy from local road traffic
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 January 2012

When we made out reservation just one day prior to our stay, we were not informed that this hotel was under MAJOR renovations. When making the reservation we researched this hotel on the Marriott.com site as well as talked to a live reservation agent at the Marriott 800 number, Upon arrival, we were unable to unload and check-in at the usual entrance and instead had to read the sign on the door giving directions to the underground parking garage. In one small room was the check-in/check-out table (with banquet skirting around it) and the breakfast buffet area. It appeared to have actually been a luggage storage area or maybe a workers' break room. We were directed to the service elevator (just one) where five other guests were impatiently waiting to go to their rooms. Once we finally got on the elevator, it hovered and vibrated for a good 30 seconds once arriving at the floor but before opening the doors. Lucky us -- our room was on a high floor, so we got to endure the vibrating and humming multiple times. The room itself was fine. We requested extra towels in advance of out arrival and those were set out in our room for us. Once the renovations are complete, this might be a fine property, but under construction as it is, I don't think it should even be accepting guests! Oh, and the Internet code was provided to the man checking in next to me but not to me. Once I got the the room I called down for the code and was told the wrong one! Frustrating!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank thesportsmom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I'm currently staying at the Courtyard and I just couldn't wait to get home and write a review about my experience. I travel a lot for work and leisure and I never had an issue with a hotel I have stayed at until this weekend. When I arrived I had no idea the hotel is under construction (you have to enter from the side door) they have a temporary check in desk set up. The girl at the front desk looked miserable and cold and me checking in was annoying her. After checking in we were told to make a left and use the service elevator. There is a curtain right infront of the elevator which is put up so guests dont see the laundry room and housekeeping area (note you can see and hear the house keepers). The service elevator works sometimes and I had to use the stairs numerous times to get to the 5th floor. The only good thing is the hotel is near a lot of restaurants and provides a lot of food options. We went out to dinner and when we came back we decided to enjoy some complimentary coffee - big mistake. The coffee was freezing cold probably the same coffee from breakfast! It is evident the hotel staff/GM can care less about the service quality at this property! If they did they would at least be responding to TRIPADVISOR comments posted about their hotel. If you plan on visiting the area you have a lot of hotel options around in the area.

• Stayed January 2012