“Good place for a taste of Peru”
Review of Sabor Peru

Sabor Peru
Ranked #6 of 62 Restaurants in Rutherford
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 March 2015

Our visit to Sabor Peru was our first and it was a very cold day but this restaurant on a side street was warm and welcoming. We entered and greeted and provided menus immediately with an explanation of the menu and the specials.

One of the popular dishes was said to be the ceviche which we decided to order. The plate that arrived had a healthy portion of well 'cooked' seafood, as it included shrimp, calamari, squid and flat white fish. The cooking juice was a mild citrus liquid, with just a tiny hint of heat. All the fish was fresh and tender. We missed the heat and the touch of cilantro that many other places add but it earned its name as a house specialty.

My wife was intrigued by one of the daily specials which was a Grilled Red Snapper marinated in a soy ginger sauce with seafood on top. Whereas grilled was indicated, it may have actually been fried as there was a light crust on the fish. In any case, the fish was fantastic. The skin was crispy, and the flesh came off the bone easily and was fresh and moist with a hint of soy and ginger. The concha, shrimp and squid on top of the fish were tasty as well and almost a gilding of the lily, a true feast.

I ordered a simpler dish being the saltado of beef, onions and peppers with white rice. The beef was cooked into submission and the entire dish was bland as a stir fry sometimes can be. I did of course sample the snapper.

We decided to try their caramel flan for dessert. The caramel sauce was smooth and rich taste of browned sugar without being overly sweet tasting. It complemented the dense eggy flan. The flan was stiff but the sauce elevated the dish.

The interior of the place is bright and friendly and looks to be a place that has hosted many family meals.

1  Thank NJTravellingfool

Reviewed 8 November 2014

We went here with a Groupon. We were a party of 4. The place is small but is decorated very well. Very nice cozy atmosphere. The food was very good. We all enjoyed everything. Our server, Aniya, not sure if a spelled it correctly, is the owner along with her husband. She was very helpful in deciding what we wanted to order. For appetizers we had the beef empanadas and a sampling of food which had potato stuffed with beef, hard boiled eggs, shrimp and something else which I don't remember, but it was delicious. We had the Tacu Tacu with beef, Tacu Tacu with shrimp, Shrimp in garlic sauce with french fries and the Maricos. We would definitely return to try other dishes. You should give it a try and I think you will be happy as we were. Check out my pics.. Eduardo...

1  Thank EduardoOfClifton
Reviewed 10 October 2014

The food was delicious with generous portions. The waitstaff was very attentive and helpful. The menu was unique and varied with something for everyone. BYOB is always nice as well.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I hate to use this cliche but "neighborhood gem" truely applies to Sabor Peru. We fully enjoyed both of our entrees: saltados lomo and quinoa tacu tacu (a massive dish of protein for anyone looking for a post workout meal or on the Atkins diet), which consisted of a quina pancake, a large perfectly cooked steak and 2 fried eggs! My 'ceviche especial' appetizer was almost as good as my mother-in-laws version or ceviche (her best recipe by far!) but my wife was disappointed in her octopus salad - 3 out of 4 ain't bad. Service was friendly, engaging and helpful. There are a nice handful of quality restaurants in Rutherford and Sabor Peru just adds to the list.

1  Thank hanleydouglas
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Sabor Peru was recommended so we went there for lunch. The $8.95 lunch specials were limited but a good value. Everyone ordered a lunch special and everyone was very satisfied with the portions and sabor. This was my first experience with peruvian food so I cannot compare it others, but this was delicious. Give SP a try, you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank saveroom4dessert