“A hidden gem just off the main road”

Village Green Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 133 Restaurants in Ridgewood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New American Cuisines. Fine Dinning.
Reviewed 29 January 2017

Rare to find a chef who tries so hard to come up with seasonal menus and interesting selections. Have never been disappointed. We love the prix-fixe, a wonderful value for the selection,amount and quality of the food, but the a la carte is also wonderful. We returned recently for Ridgewood Restaurant week, a prix-fixe that was simply fantastic, even with the restaurant full. The trout almondine was superb, as was our friends' boeuf bourguignone. The profiterroles and excellent espresso were a perfect finish. A special place for that special dinner out.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

Another night, another restaurant in Ridgewood for their Restaurant Week. So far it has been one hit and one miss and unfortunately tonight was another miss. My daughter and I went to the Village Green Restaurant tonight and when we walked into a completely empty restaurant, except for one other couple, we were shown to the table right next to the front door. I asked for another table as I didn't want to freeze every time the door opened and we were shown to the next worst table, right next to the bathroom. Really? This was a completely empty restaurant and you show two women to the worst two tables in the place. My daughter ordered cauliflower soup and I had a radish and blood orange salad. The other choice was a duck spring roll. The radish salad was very bland and there were two pieces of blood orange the size of my fingernail. My daughter said the soup was just okay. When the waiter came back to check on us, I asked him if there was any bread, as there were bread plates on the table. He indicated that since we ordered off of the restaurant week menu, they were not serving bread. WTF? Are you kidding me, you couldn't give me a piece of bread? We had to sit through dinner staring at our empty bread plates. For an entree, my daughter ordered the Basque chicken which consisted of three tiny pieces of sausage and two pieces of chicken that were approximately one-third of a chicken breast. I had the trout which had a nice flavor but was overcooked. It was served over a bed of plain rice swimming in oil with string beans that were so overcooked, it was like eating twigs. For dessert, my daughter had chocolate mousse which she said was fine and I had profiteroles and ice cream. The profiteroles were so hard that I had to ask for a knife. Profiteroles or cream puffs should not be hard as rocks especially when filled with melted ice cream. The only positive things I can say about this dinner is that there was no upcharge to anything on the menu and the service was great, very professional. We won't be going back.

Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

We had a great meal here tonight. The food was awesome but unfortunately the evening was spoiled slightly by an obnoxiously loud woman and her friend on the other side of the dining room!
I'm not sure how people can be so rude as to discuss medical problems and procedures at the top of their voices while people are eating!
My wife was so upset she actually had to ask the lady to keep her voice down!
Aside from this moronic couple the restaurant exceeded our expectations, the waiter and food were excellent. We both had the 5 course tasting menu and everything we had was beautifully presented and very tasty.
We will be back and hopefully the loud lady, who is obviously deaf, gets a hearing aid soon!

Reviewed 4 January 2017

After reading the reviews and the description of the restaurant I have to say I was extremely disappointed. The ambiance is just ok, the wait staff was just ok and the food was not very good or flavorful.

Reviewed 10 November 2016

LUNCH with old friends from HS was a perfect pleasure moment. With varied plates that were each delious. I ordered the quiche which was excellant while my friend had a duck that he felt was outstanding. Thank you for an enjoyable meal and service.