“really authentic Mexican”

Selenita Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 33 Restaurants in Pompton Lakes
Reviewed 6 January 2016

We had an excellent Mexican meal here. It’s a very cute place, not fancy at all, but amazing food. The food did not disappoint.

We started with a spicy chicken nacho dish and guacamole. It was really good, scooping up the chicken and pico de gallo with chips, as well as the guacamole. We really enjoyed it, and being a BYOB, we were able to bring a nice Malbec to dinner too.

For dinner, I ordered the chicken enchiladas. My girlfriend ordered the chicken fajitas. The other two with us ordered Chicken Mexicana and other chicken dish.

The food is excellent and the staff is very friendly as well.

1  Thank roha19
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

Good food and cozy place, definitely recommended restaurant in pompton lakes. Service is friendly and would surely visit again

Reviewed 22 December 2015

I had the steak fajitas and they were prepared just the way great fajitas should taste. ... Hot just off the grill pan sizzling with bell peppers and onions tossed with lime juice and olive oil. The fish tacos are also a great choice to pick from. This is a family run restaurant and the service was very good. This is a BYOB so check them out and enjoy!

1  Thank KEN H
Reviewed 18 December 2015

I honestly came into this restaurant hoping for the best. Only 7 minutes from my house, highly recommended and good atmosphere, I TRULY wanted to like this place. For someone who is not difficult to please, it appeared to me this place did EVERYTHING they could to solicit a bad review the evening I went!!! The food was for the most part inedible, service was horrific and the customers seemed to simply accept all without question. Fellow customers next to us even commented on how they practically lived at this restaurant!!! Again, I normally would never bash a restaurant like this, but given the RAVE reviews I received and how AWFUL it was and how even the patrons we sat next to continued to rave about this place, I am convinced that it is my duty to warn people who may not be aware.. Do yourself a favor, go to Taco Bell, it is far more authentic!!

1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 15 October 2015

My experience with Mexican food anywhere I've ever lived before NJ (SC, MS, MO) is that it is good and relatively cheap. I guess the cost of living in NJ forces that construct out the window because we have yet to find a decent, affordable, Mexican restaurant anywhere in the northern part of the state. Sadly, Selenita applies as well. The food is just okay. The prices are high. The space in incredibly cramped. The service was forgettable.

That's another thing to focus on. The service. In all the other states in which we've lived, we find the Mexican restaurant we like the most, and we are loyal. A big part of identifying the right place is the friendliness of the staff. Our last place in MO was fantastic. We knew how their kids were doing. They remembered what we liked to order, and made it fantastic.

Here, that just doesn't seem possible. #1. You can't really afford to frequent the place that much. Then even if you could, do you get that personal service? Maybe I'm being too hard on them, but I am honestly just trying to help.