“Wonderful place to stay”

The Carriage House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Danbury, Connecticut
“Wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 25 June 2010

The owners are relaxed, friendly and very helpful. I went with my sister and stayed in the room with twin beds (we could see the ocean from one of the windows). The location is very good. One block to the beach and one block over from Main Street. The breakfast was amazing, delicious and big. This was my first time staying in Ocean Grove and thoroughly enjoyed it and was very happy with our choice to stay at the Carriage House.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank ben19941
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We just returned from one night's stay at the Carriage House, and we cannot wait to go back. Ocean Grove is a sweet little seaside town filled with gingerbread Victorian houses surrounding a charming central shopping district. Since the town is dry, there are none of the seedier aspects of other Jersey Shore towns.

The Carriage House really feels like you are staying with family. The rooms are lovingly decorated and cozy, the owners are very friendly, and the breakfast is divine. This morning we feasted on stuffed French toast, an egg and vegetable casserole, and an incredibly light cheesecake with fruit...all served on fine china!

There was such a feeling of warmth in the B&B, and it was great to be able to see the ocean from our balcony. It was exactly what we were looking for!

• Liked — Pretty much everything
  • Disliked — Nothing really -- if I had to nitpick, I'd say the bathroom was a bit small
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hollywd
Philadelphia
Reviewed 26 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at this lovely B&B in mid-September 2008. The room was clean, updated, charming and the view of the ocean from our room was delightful. The Owners were so accommodating, cheerful and obviously invested in making their B&B a place people want to return to. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and something new was prepared every morning that we were there. The breakfast room was elegant as well. This is truly a special place, with special owners and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amico
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Kathi and Phil were more than accomodating and very friendly. They knew the answers to all our questions and were always willing to help. Our rooms were in great condition, the bed was comfortable, and the view from the porch was great. The food, especially the stuffed french toast, and bread pudding were AMAZING. I would highly recommend the Carriage House!

• Liked — Staff, food
  • Disliked — ---
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jaydee2202
New York, NY USA
Reviewed 30 December 2007

My mom and I stayed at the Carriage House B&B just before Christmas. We needed a nice, quiet seaside retreat and that's just what we got! It's a darling little place in Ocean Grove, a charming little village south of Asbury Park. We stayed in Room 2, a small but cozy and well-appointed room with a shared balcony and a fireplace. The inn is one block from the ocean and the balcony has a beautiful ocean view. Cozy throw blankets and lots of little pillows to curl up with, a box of chocolates on the nightstand, comfy chairs out on the balcony, and a stack of books and magazines on the dresser gave our room the kind of homey, welcoming warmth that you look for in a B&B. Our room was accessorized with a stack of books about Jackie O and current issues of Martha Stewart, Town & Country, and other magazines of that ilk. A nice touch.

Kathi and Phil, the owners, immediately made us feel like part of the family. I e-mailed them before our stay with a question about taxis from the train station, and they called me within a couple of hours and offered to pick us up personally. They were extremely accommodating and friendly, chatting over breakfast and even hugging us goodbye when the sad time came to leave.

The breakfast was unique and delicious: the first day we had some kind of delicious homemade breakfast souffle, along with mini quiches and sausages and lots of fresh fruit; the second we had stuffed french toast that was out of this world, along with two kinds of quiche (which I wasn't wild about -- the mini quiches were better) and more fruits. There is always cereal and milk available, and of course coffee and juice. The tables are set with lovely china and quaint, sometimes whimsical accessories.

I have attached pictures so you can see the decor. At first it all seemed very delicate and I was afraid of breaking anything; but I quickly got over that and began to feel completely at home. It really was like being a part of the family. The decor includes the usual Victorian/English Cottage type of paintings and knick-knacks, but the children's drawings and family pictures really give the place a warmth and personality that sets it apart and makes one feel at home.

If the weather is nasty or you just want to stay in, there is a cozy book nook in the main floor under the staircase and a cozy tv nook downstairs in the breakfast room. Both have a large and well-chosen selection of books and movies. There is definitely something for every taste there.

For the first time, I didn't have the "Grass is Greener" issue I always have when traveling: there is no other place I would have wanted to stay in the area. The Carriage House surpassed my expectations and I look forward to going back again and again!

NOTE: Ocean Grove is a dry town; so just know if you're planning to go out for dinner that you must bring your own bottle of wine if you want to imbibe. There is a liquor store (or "package" store, as they call it) near the Asbury Park train station, about 10 blocks from the inn.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
The Ocean Plaza
#3 of 19 in Ocean Grove
0.2 km away
Lillagaard Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Carriage House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK