“Decent place to stay for the price and location”
Review of The Crossings

The Crossings
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
“Decent place to stay for the price and location”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I love Ocean City and have been going there for 20 years. I enjoy the proximity to Somers Point, Margate and Sea Isle bars and restaurants. It's the perfect central location and the Crossings is easy in and out without dealing with 9th St noise and traffic. I prefer to stay in the south end and go to the boardwalk maybe once or twice during my vist but I don't need to be near all of the kiddie rides so finding a hotel away from all of that was great. It is a very easy, quick drive into downtown if you want to go. I prefer to rent a house but if you don't want to commit to a full week and large house, this is a very decent alternative for a few days away. We prefer to get away ourselves and have some quiet time to decompress and don't need a house that sleeps 6-12 people. The Crossings is perfect if you just want a few days at the shore without renting for 7 days. I prefer to stay on the beach most of the day and just be out and about . Hanging in the room or at the hotel for me is really just to sleep, shower or change. I thought the room was clean, updated and very decent and adequate for what we wanted. It is not a 4 or 5 star luxury hotel, but you are at the Jersey Shore and not at a Carribbean resort so BE REAL. We stayed over a Sat and Sun night and it was very quiet at night and we were not disturbed by slamming doors or loud talking. We did not hang out at the hotel and got back late each night but found it to be quiet. We didn't use the kitchenette at all but it's nice to know it's there. I assume some of the rooms are nicer than others. I would say our room was decent, clean and pretty recently remodelled. It did not have any strange musty smells like many motel type places. The bathroom is very small and there was barely any closet space. May be crowded for more than 2 people. I hope they keep it up and continue to maintain the property and individual rooms. I would definitely come back for a few nights stay. The rates are great in late August.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank lmdima33
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I am completing a 6-night stay at the end of August, booked via hotels.com. This is an older motor inn that has been converted to individually-owned "condos". My room had a very comfortable double bed (although advertised as a queen), a pull-out sofa bed, a half-size refrigerator, 2-burner stove top, and a microwave, with dishes, glassware, flatware, pots and pans, and cooking utensils. Location is convenient, half-way down the island, away from the racket of the boardwalk, with an Acme grocery store, a CVS, a WaWa convenience store, gas station, and several good neighborhood restaurants within walking distance. The beach is about 4 long city blocks away, crossing over 3 very busy 4-lane streets. The condo-tel has a small sparkling pool, which fills up with screaming kids by about 3 pm, when their parents bring them in from the beach.

The lobby is run-down, and the interactions with hotel staff were mixed. A rather surly young man sat at the desk most afternoons, and was most unimpressed when he was disturbed from his computer games to have to respond to a question from a guest.

Ocean City is a "dry" town, although there is a large liquor store just over the bridge at 34th Street. The swimming pool has clearly marked signage stating that there is to be no alcohol or glass containers in the pool area. However, some of the condo owners bring their friends and family, and sit around the pool with poorly-disguised cases of beer, and become louder and rowdier as the day goes on. As well, even though pets are not allowed, apparently this rule does not apply to condo owners, as there were 3 loud dogs barking from behind locked doors all day on Saturday.

Nice and peaceful mid-week; raucous and noisy on the weekend. If I wanted raucous and noisy, I would have gone to Wildwood.

Housekeeping staff appear to be young international students--French Canadians and Turks. Pleasant and skilled at straightening up, less skilled at actual cleaning.

Ample parking; some is covered. I prefer to park my car where I can see it, which I was able to do.

The door to my room was warped, and took many false starts and swear words to get it unlocked each time I returned to the room--perhaps an end-of-summer issue that can be corrected. A dog is barking in an enclosed, locked car while I am writing this. Now I need to look for a phone # for the ASPCA. Overall, ok for the price, but could be kept a bit cleaner.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank StaryBaba
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2010

We needed a getaway and were not disappointed. The room was clean and the staff at the desk were very accommodating. The room was not too small although the bathroom was tiny. The kitchen space was adequate for our needs. It was nice that there was a full size fridge. It would have been nice if there were a few more chairs on the porch/walkway. It was also nice that they allowed you to stay the day you checked out . there were two bathrooms with a shower and dressing area. But it was much in demand as it seemed to be the only two and other guests,, mainly children kept knocking on the door. Very convienent location next to the Acme. A bit of a walk to the beach but exercise is good for you. The towels were very small but we requested some extras and so they sufficed.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BubbieTCK
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We had a terrific stay at Crossings and have zero complaints. Everything went smoothly from the phone call booking the room in February (thanks June!) to check out on Friday. We had never been to Ocean City, NJ and weren't sure what to expect. We found the entire town to be perfect for family's like ourselves (we had an almost 2 year old and 4 year old in tow) and refreshingly friendly.

The room itself was functional- two burner stove top, sink, small fridge and freezer. It had a more comfortable than usual king bed, "leather" couch that converted into a queen bed, table and chairs, and suitable bathroom with a tub and shower. We had plenty of space to set up our little one's pack'n'play and were able to sit just outside the room on the balcony/walkway reading and relaxing in the chairs provided while the children napped and/or went to bed early. Our room was decorated tastefully in a beach/nautical theme. Nothing to write home about.

The pool was hands down the HIGHLIGHT for my children. I did know there was one on premise, but I did not expect it to be heated and I had NO idea there was a baby pool too! We found we were most often the only people using the pool and that was an added bonus as well. We usually hit the beach in the cooler morning hours and then came back to have lunch poolside. We also finished our day with a "night swim" around 7pm. It was lovely. I did appreciate that there was no smoking anywhere on or near the motel premises. Not even the balconies or poolside.

The "condo-tel" was located in what I considered to be near perfect location. It was 2-3 blocks from the beach. The motel provided beach tags for a refundable fee of $20 a tag. Everyone older than 12 had to have one- and they did check. Along the way to the beach you'd pass a terrific although HOT (no shade to speak of) playground, a Hoy's 5 and 10, and 2 restaurants that came highly recommended on TripAdviser (Pinos and Randazzos). There were also two ice cream stores and a bike rental place as well. It was also directly next to a WaWa, Acme grocery store, and CVS. I for one, will miss the WaWa. It had inexpensive sandwiches, salads, fresh fruit, and one of those awesome soda dispenser with the "flavor-shot." I am sucker for those. Hey! .99 fountain drink of any size? Sign me up! The walk to the beach was just a little longer than I would have liked, but we were hauling a ton of sand toys and a 2 year old on our backs along with a sometimes grumpy four year old.

The boardwalk is quite a distance into town but that didn't bother us. That was definitely something we'd have preferred to drive to no matter where we stayed. There is a trolley service but we didn't opt to use it. The motel had plenty of parking- much of it was covered. There was front desk "security," daily maid service, laundry, ice, and just about anything else you could think of. Most of all the price was right. So in short, yes, I'd stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Mushy1127
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We went to Ocean City in 2009 and didn't know of any hotels. We came upon this hotel. It's an ok hotel. If i remember these rooms are all owned by different people (like a timeshare) being that every room style was different. Walking by some of the rooms, they looked really nice. Ours was just ok. The room was basically clean...had a little smell to it but went to CVS across the road and bought lots of Febrezze spray. The sheets were clean but i felt the comforters weren't...so just pulled them down. The pool was nice..warm and clean...it is a drive to the boardwalk/beach...overall it was a decent hotel to stay in for a night or two.....

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family