“Butter Bath in A Bathing Suit”

Mikes Seafood of Ocean City NJ
Ranked #95 of 229 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: I would like to do a review of this restaurant. Had a terrible experience and your readers need to know.
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Walk off the beach, ride up on your bicycle or park your car out front. Call ahead for pick-up ( as many families do) or eat at an outdoor picnic table on their covered patio .We arrived as we had planned, with sand on our ankles & cover-ups over our swim suits. A weekday afternoon in late August ( they end the season on Labor Day Weekend) , we arrived at 4:20 knowing that this is "just before" they start getting really busy! We went to Mike's specifically for the steamed lobster dinner. The meal is served piping hot in an aluminum tray( with lid ) and includes a 1 1/2 lb. steamed (split & cracked) Maine lobster , large ear of white Jersey corn , quartered red potatoes , coke slaw & melted butter for dipping. The market price for this meal, that week was $23.00. We added a container of chowder for $5.00. We also ordered fish & chips for sharing.
We took some of the lobster meat & enjoyed it cold with some Proseco!
The menu is quite extensive. Some items are a little pricey. No need to dress up while on your beach vacation... butter drips.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Ocean City is generally bereft of good seafood places, surprising given its location. Mike's provides a decent option, although they could make the experience more customer-friendly. Prices are high, even given the OC location.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Have been to the Sea Isle location multiple times. They have a coupon for 10% off, typically throw in the bread on a large ($100+ order) and are just more customer Friendly.

Ocean City refused the same coupon, explained it was Sea Isle only & they are 2 separate companies despite the Website making no mention of this. Also wanted the Lobster Mac balls - but only available in Sea Isle and then charged the $2.99 for bread on a $130+ order.

Despite this bad impression, at least the Clams and Crab balls were as good as Sea Isle.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

We've been coming to Ocean City since we were kids but had never had Mike's Seafood. How, I don't know. The food was great - lobster, crab, shrimp, and especially the clams. Amazing! Will be coming back for sure.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I am not terribly hard to please, but I made the mistake of ordering a favorite dish of mine, Cioppino, at Mike's after being told by the waiter that it was their signature dish.

I REALLY wanted to like the selection, but it just didn't happen. The sauce in the limited portion was thin and watery, with little or no tomato taste, and the limited selection of seafood in the dish was essentially tasteless. I remarked to my wife, whose "Puttanesca," was quite acceptable, that except for visual identification, and texture of the seafood, I could not have identified what I was eating by taste at all.

In situations where I find a meal that should have some zest has none, I add a dash of Tabasco to it to coax out hiding flavor, but all they had was a Mexican chipotle that was not correct for a dish like this, or the quite good clam chowder.

Our initial waiter was prompt to accept our order, but never actually brought requests other than the entrees to our table without one or two reminders despite the very thin crowd. We had hoped to receive our requests before finishing the meal, and a visit to him at the cashier's stand (where he was conversing with another server) was met with a patronizing smirk. He went off shift, and our second server was very good, to be honest, so I rated the service average overall (first waiter was "poor").

The place is without atmosphere, which for our lunch was OK, but the $20 lunch entree I had was simply unforgivable. As I said, my wife's entree' was OK and the $5 clam chowder we shared was good.

Overall, I would not choose to re-visit this establishment based on today's visit. Spending $60 with tip for a lunch for two (no beverage, and sharing a cup of soup) is a bit spendy to begin with, but to leave disappointed was just sad.

On a positive note, the Fish and Chips ($13) we saw a fellow diner eating looked tasty and well proportioned, so perhaps the answer is to not challenge the kitchen at Mike's with a moderately sophisticate recipe, and to go for simpler comfort food instead.