DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
1,665 results
All reviewsdouble treewarm cookiesindoor poolgift shoplobby areahotel staffan early morning flightnew yorkshuttle serviceairportdrivernycbistrotransportationnjcruise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2012

After such a nice stay on our previous trip, we decided to stay at DoubleTree when visiting Newark. We are Diamond Club Members and really enjoy our stays at Hilton Hotels. I will try to be as fair as possible but there were many things that could have been better. When we arrived at the airport, we had to wait over an hour to catch a shuttle that ran every "twenty Minutes." After a five hour layover in Chicago, this was a little much as we saw shuttles from the other airport hotels arrive, leave and arrive again. We waited another 15 minutes in line at check in and the hotel was out of their famous cookies. :?( There was a nice bottle of wine and fruit in our room, but the fruit was not good. At bedtime, we were greeted by a very large palmetto bug on our ceiling. When we tried to access the business office our room key would not work. Then there was the buffet breakfast. The food was bad. We tried both mornings because we know things can happen but this was really bad. The service was even worse. To be fair, the cleaning service did a really nice job, the lady at the main desk was very friendly, and everything though old, seemed very clean. We also liked the large rooms which were quiet and comfortable. I feel that with some simple changes and the right management, this hotel could really be a nice place.

1  Thank pootiecheechee
Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that we did not make a pleasant first impression with our shuttle and that you encountered an unacceptable level of service and visitor in your room upon arrival. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay and we regret this was not the case. We’ve addressed the breakfast issues with our culinary staff and will use your comments to re-evaluate and adjust our offerings. We’re glad to hear you found our front desk and housekeeping staff friendly and helpful and we hope that next time you’re in the area you’ll visit us again and experience a higher quality stay.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

the only negative was the size of the chicken wings (room service). everything else was perfect; and had I not wanted some wings and beer with the MLB post season, it would have been a perfect trip. that said; I will stay at a DoubleTree again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
BridgewaterHGI, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

All of us here at the Doubletree – Newark Airport would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor after your recent stay at our Hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. If you have any comments that you would like us know about, please feel free to contact us directly. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our Doubletree to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

So, I paid extra attention to whether i was missing something due to many complaints in the other reviews.

This is a typical Doubletree. My last stay was JFK doubletree, felt that was worse than this one, but they are all pretty worn out. Front desk fast and efficient for my gold status, keys ready, cookie, breakfast vouchers and my internet passcode. Also $9 parking instead of $18 also for being gold.

Breakfast was really so-so, i would say not very good.

My room was at the end of long hall, which is away from elevator as per my profile. Quite large room, LG flatscreen, nice working area with accessible power. Good wifi. Bathroom was clean, granite counter. But then I notice, bath/shower faucet hardware is very old. Bath tiles we re-tiled but except bottom 2 rows (why would you do that?), parts of wall paper in corner was popping off probably from moisture, very old vent with the twist switch not working. Looks like poorly done facelift.

Housekeeping seemed to do a good job, i would say happy with the place, but breakfast quality and visible wear and tear puts this property at average only. It is a conference hotel, and layout is a bit confusing.

Oh, bed is standard Doubletree, very comfortable.

1  Thank pvcnco
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Accommodations were OK. I flew into late, and was only going to stay the one night to head to Manhattan the next day. The reason I chose the hotel was it's proximity to the airport. The shuttle took much longer than it should have. The next day - return shuttle to the airport for taking the train to Manhattan - I didn't even use the shuttle because it was so late. The hotel clearly didn't have enough staff.

Room Tip: If a shuttle is a reason to choose a hotel, keep looking - this one does not do well.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Stan E
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Worst hotel ever. EVER.

At first, when we arrived, we had dinner and the service was miserable. People were waiting at the front desk for minutes before being seated, even though 4-5 waiters had only 10 tables at most to take care of. Got wrong items in our plates and on our bills. Took forever to get drinks and food (which was inevitably cold when it arrived).

1st night: had to change room because of ants infestation in the bathroom. Found at least 20 of them. Room smelled really moldy/musty. Second room we got was near the party area where we couldn't sleep for the whole night (3rd floor) because of doors slapping and people yelling.
2nd night: at 00:30, had to change room again because the ceiling was leaking on one of the beds. Room smelled even worse than the first one (8th floor).
3rd night: Still that moldy/musty smell. Water stains on the ceilling, same spot as where the water leaked in the other room.

Other observations:
- Water was leaking in the lobby after rain.
- Got sick (flu like symptoms) probably from moldy/musty rooms: I am allergic to molds. Got better as soon as I got home.
- Hotel is really old and needs serious work.
- $18 parking fees.
- Service is miserable.
- Calking falling apart in the bathtub.
- The carpets are filthy all other the hotel and the rooms are dated and dirty.
- Pubic hair on the curtains, hair on the floor, etc.
- Do you need more?

I can't understand how it is possible that this hotel is still part of the Hilton family... The manager couldn't do anything for us to accommodate pricing or else, because we booked online (!?)...

If you are looking for a cheap room to go to New York, add the price of the shuttles this hotel charges (2 x $25 round trip to train station + $4.50 round trip per person for train) to your room/night and get a better and closer and better hotel.

Ask me if I would go again? NEVER. Left our trip to New York with a really bitter taste. We are thinking about filling a formal complaint to Hilton about the quality and service we received during our stay...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. This is the best tip I can give anybody.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family