1,791 results
All reviewsdouble treewarm cookiesindoor poolgift shoplobby areahotel staffan early morning flightnew yorkshuttle serviceone night stayfree shuttleinto nycairportdrivernjtransportationcruise
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights for sight seeing in New York. We got the rooms for a discount price and just wanted a place to spend the nights.
The room was not very clean and the bathroom shower tiles were very badly plastered. You could see the plaster put in a haphazard way. The room looked very old and the interior seemed to be in need of an upgrade. You could see dirty hand prints on the curtains.
If you get it for a very cheap price, it is a place to stay. I would not pay normal DoubleTree rates to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ChittiChittiBangBang
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This place is in the middle of no where. There are two other hotels nearby, but nothing after that. You get the feeling you are driving into a ghetto while driving to this hotel. Then....as you pull up to the hotel you must drive over metal tire strips so people will not "escape" from the property. They charge $18 a night to park and I guess they are very serious about making sure you don't try to leave without paying - or else you will lose 4 tires. Less than welcoming! But...the from desk clerk from Tunisia was super! Excellent personality and very professional. The hotel had a nice, large atrium that included the indoor pool. That was nice, but dated. The actual room was very nice. I have no complaints at all with the room - standard stuff. But the carpeting in the halls, wallpaper, etc was all rundown. Also.....we went to dinner at the hotel because there was NOTHING nearby - so that was the only option and I think they know it. I had a Club sandwich for $12 and my pal had wings for about the same price. He said they were not good. My sandwich was fine. But........beers were $5.50 - $6.50 each! Pretty steep in my opinion. Our company put us up there via Hotel.com and I think the room was around $100-$120 or so. But...after you factor in the $18 parking, it might not be such a great deal. So.....the service and the room were fine, but this place had a high "icky" factor.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank hilburno
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Since I was traveling with a teenager and a pre-teen daughter, safety was of paramount importance to me. My last trip to New York was almost 20 years back, and I stayed in the Queens area and didn't have a great impression of the big apple.
When finding a reasonably priced hotel in proper Manhattan became impossible, I took the alternate route of booking this Hilton-operated by property which is easily reachable from Manhattan. Newark doesn't have a stellar reputation but the airport area is quite safe. The hotel is great and the staff is very very nice.
The hotel has a shuttle to drop you off at the P4 terminal of Newark International Airport. From there, the monorail takes you to Newark Airport train station. A New Jersey transit train (not cheap, $15 per person each way) takes you to New York Penn station in minutes. And then the big apple grabs you with all its glory. Once you have covered all the 5th avenue sights, if you want to see the WTC sight and the 9/11 memorial etc, catch a B or D train to 4th St W, and then an E train to Chamber St or Rector St.
This time, I ended up regretting that I didn't budget more time to stay in New York City (ours was a big vacation, California->Washington DC->Niagara Falls->New York). I personally think that a major part of this positive experience was the hotel.
However, I do wish the hotel doesn't charge close to $20/day for parking from the hotel guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank fremont_ca_traveller
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed here one night in July 2012. First, the good. The employees provide good service. I obtained a decent night sleep with a comfortable bed. Not hard to get to NYC Penn station from here (take the shuttle to the Newark Airport, then grab the train to NYC, the train ticket to NYC costs $25.00 round trip. I think it took less than an hour each way).
Now, the not so good. Parts of the hotel seem dated. The air-conditioning kept the room fairly comfortable, but would not get it cold (I prefer to sleep with the air around 67-68 deg F.) The airport Hotel is a true airport hotel. It is a great place to grab some sleep, but it appeared that there was not much in the immediate area to do unless you have a car or take the train from the airport elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I was looking for inexpensive accommodation in NJ while on business and used Priceline to book at hotel. ($80/night).
The booking came in as Doubletree; I was not familiar with the hotel but at that point was committed. To my surprise when I checked into the hotel I discovered it was the Sheraton that I had stayed in many times. Apparently Doubletree took over the hotel in March of this year.
The Sheraton had been looking increasingly tired and I suppose it was going to cost a lot of money to bring it back to their standards so they got rid of it.
There is nothing wrong with the hotel; rooms are reasonably large, the location is close to the airport it is just quite tired.
The biggest change is that they will give you a cookie upon check-in!
Windows have a tint on them which means it always feels like it is cloudy outside; not an uplifting experience. If you can get the hotel at a great price go for it; otherwise there are many better options in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business