“Fast and fresh standard sushi”

Gen Sushi & Hibachi
Ranked #11 of 33 Restaurants in Montvale
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Gen Sushi is tucked away in a strip mall with minimal signage, so you might drive by it the first time unless you have GPS. I am on a consulting project in this area, which for some reason seems to have more sushi bars per capita than anywhere else I have been. (see my Trip Advisor reviews of Koi 21 and Kumo, all within 15 minutes of each other.) They tend to be very consistent in terms of price and menu. I was at Gen two times, both for lunch. One day it was somewhat empty but today it was hopping, including multiple to-go orders. Never fear, when it gets busy they use three very competent and speedy sushi chefs. I had the sushi lunch, which consist of soup or salad (both the standard sushi bar fare), six pieces of nigiri sushi (maguro, Hamachi, sake, tai, hirame, ebi) and a California Roll. It came quickly although there was nothing fancy about the display, just a plain white plate. A bargain at $12. The prior trip I had the sushi/sashimi lunch which pares down to four sushi and six pieces of sashimi, also a bargain at $16. I didn’t have room for more but I saw a number of interesting dishes pass over the bar including a chirashi sushi (literally scattered sushi meaning the slices of fish are “scattered” over a bowl of rice rather than made into individual nigiri) and what appeared to be an Ika and Tako (squid and octopus) sunomono (seaweed salad with a vinegar dressing). All-in-all at the sushi bar you can stick with American favorites or go into some more advanced offerings. In addition to sushi there are hibachi options, kids options, teriyaki, tempura and noodle dishes. So if one of your party grimaces at the thought of raw fish, they can find plenty of cooked Japanese options. There are limited adult beverage options; the half bottle of Pinot Grigio works well with sushi, however.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

I've never been into the restaurant - we always get take out, but it is always very good. We order there often - when we are with our neighbors. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Reviewed 5 February 2017

The was the worst meal! Horrible food, service and the restaurant was filthy. They decided to cook take-out on our grill so our nasty chef had to cook on another grill. Then, he threw the cooked food onto our plates. I got one tiny piece of broccoli, 4 bite sized pieces of steak (which were the only edible food on the plate) and the worst salmon I have ever eaten! It was truly an awful meal, all the way around.

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

Hibachi and Japanese restaurant. Large menu with many options to pick from. We enjoyed miso eggplant, sweet potato roll for appetizer. We also had delicious sushi rolls and sashimi meals. Waitress was really nice and very professional. Definitely will be back to try many other items. Lots of parking and lunch menu. Delivery available.

Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

This place is in a strip mall. It is rather surprising as to th quality of the food. There were 3 of us with a mixture of dishes. The boss said that the Sushi was fantastic. The Habatchi was excellent as well. Would recommend this place to eat.