“Great dinner! ”

Ranked #23 of 50 Restaurants in Maplewood
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Tandoori Chef offers one of the most unique and memorable dining experiences in the Essex County (NJ) area. Our spectacular chefs have created a decadent menu combining the diverse flavors of India. We invite you to join us as we recreate a taste of India.
Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

We were craving some Indian food and thought we would try this place out. We loved everything for the samosas to the two entrees we tried. The Tandoori chicken was perfect and the butter chicken was excellent. The staff was nice and the place was quite. We love that you can bring your own bottle. Will definitely come again. Thought the prices were not bad. Was concerned by other reviews.

TandooriChef, Owner at Tandoori Chef 2, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

Thank you so much for your positive and encouraging review! We genuinely appreciate it and look forward to having you stop by and see us again. (Veggie Samosas and Butter Chicken are my favorite, as well!) Thank you again!

Reviewed 13 May 2017

My daughter was in from California and wanted Indian food. We are able to walk to Tandori Chef 2 from home, so off we went. A bonus, by the way, since parking has become so difficult in downtown Maplewood. I have no complaints. The service was very good as was the food. The food was plentiful. We were able to make a meal and a half from our order. Aside from having homemade Indian food, this is the only restaurant I've ever eaten in (twice I might add.) We had the Chicken Tikka Masala, Saag Paneer and a cauliflower and potato dish. I may be missing something, because my daughter always orders 4 dishes. At any rate, the food was excellent. My fave, the spinach dish (Saag Paneer.) I could eat that 3 times a day. The only drawback is that Tandori Chef 2 is a bit pricey. But, for those of us who don't eat out much, it was fine.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

I was visiting Family, and i wanted Indian restaurant food. This was the closest joint. We ordered take-out. I was specific that i wanted it spicy. But my food was not spicy, there is slight sweetness in their dishes. Their Chicken Tandoori was done good. but the curry's has slight sweetness. I am not saying it's too sweet, but for someone like me who likes really spicy Indian food. it was just ok.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

I wish this place were less expensive, as I love Indian cuisine. I have been here several times and each time I am here, the buffet is advertised, but not available (not sure why). This forces us to eat off the menu, which although extensive is also quite expensive. A small bowl of vegetarian chickpeas in a yogurt sauce with spinach which really only feeds one is $15. In my opinion that's expensive, given there's no meat in the dish.

Other dishes are the same. If the menu were less expensive I'd eat here more often. With so many restaurants in Maplewood, I don't think this place will last with these prices. The food is tasty though.

TandooriChef, Public Relations Manager at Tandoori Chef 2, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2017

YayeMama,
We are sorry for the concerns you have for our restaurant.
I know we have had the buffet in the past, however it has been gone for more than a year now. If you find these advertisements, I would mush appreciate if you would bring them to our attention so we can remove immediately. Our email is tandoorichefrestaurants@gmail.com for any other tips as well, as far as pricing goes.
Thank you for your concern, and we hope you can come back soon.
Best,
Tandoori Chef 2

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

My family and I order from here and prefer it over the local options closer to home. We have to order more than $35 to get delivery but that's not an issue. The other night though, I ordered, told it may be up to an hour to receive food. I was fine with that to avoid packing 3 kids into the car. When an hour came and went I decided to call and found myself arguing about when the order was made (keep in mind I had an email confirmation with a time of receipt on it). Needless to say it took 30 min longer before I got my food. Kids were NOT happy. I was more upset that I didn't just get an apology or a credit for the delivery charge. The food was fine but wish they would have just called and said we are running behind.

1  Thank Scott S
TandooriChef, Guest Relations Manager at Tandoori Chef 2, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2017

Scott S,
Thank you for the review, and I would fortunately like to inform you that there has been newer management since your experience. We can only hope that this situation will not happen again and do appreciate your contribution to our business. Please feel free to keep me personally updated on matters like these.
All the best,