“It would have been perfect, but...”
Review of Inn on Main Hotel

Inn on Main Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Manasquan B&B and Inns
Greenwich, Connecticut
“It would have been perfect, but...”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed at the Inn on Main for two nights. The managers have obviously thought out the details carefully--the "pin code" entry system (no front desk) works well, the rooms are attractively furnished and spotless, the bed triple-sheeted with excellent quality linens and five pillows--two firm, two soft, and one long rectangle great for reading in bed. The bathroom was stocked with great towels and upscale amenities, and the water pressure was fine. Housekeeping was quiet, efficient, and unobtrusive. So what could be wrong?

The bed in room 202 was absolutely awful. The pillowtop mattress was past its prime and was essentially collapsed in the middle. We took a look at the side of the bare mattress to document the extent of the problem and from the curvature we saw it was immediately obvious that the mattress was shot. I was also surprised to see a tag on the mattress from Cort Furniture Rentals--I'm not sure if the mattress was rented, or purchased used from a Cort liquidation center, but either way, it was, in our opinion, no longer serviceable and not worthy of this hotel.

With even a reasonable mattress, the place would have gotten four or five stars from us.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gate73
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Inn on Main Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
We thank this reviewer for the glowing comments on the hotel, except for the bed. Previous reviews have positively commented on our bedding, one as recent as a month ago. I am preplexed that the reviewer prefers to save up his comments for a negative write-up on TripAdvisor, undresses the mattress, checks out the label - all this rather than call us for a firmer bed in a different room, if available. There was no phone call to us in this regard. The word "awful" to describe the bed is unfair.

As the owner, I am particularly picqued by this review. Room 202 started as our model room one-and-half years ago. We opted to rent BRAND NEW Bedroom set and mattress from CORT RENTAL (owned by Warren Buffett) for trial and our guests were impressed and we proceeded to purchase all items. The mattress is by Sealy Vacation Retreat and performs as intended. While the pillow top seams compressed, the mattress is not "shot" as the reviewer describes. I slept in this room last night and found it to be comfortable and soft. Staff has rotated the mattress to ensure even wear. It would be unwise for us to sustain an inferior mattress.

While reviewer rates the hotel high in many areas, I am offended by the reviewer's suggestion that we buy bargain bedding from Cort Rentals which I regard as a great company. The Inn's sister hotel, The Atlantis Inn in Ocean CIty, NJ, recently received that city's only Certificate of Excellence Award from TripAdvisor. I can assure our customers that we practice the same standards in Manasquan.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We loved the privacy that comes along with no check in! The rooms were enormous, tastefully decorated, and extremely comfortable. The fireplace was charming, the beds were comfortable, and the number for contacting the management should something go wrong was prominently displayed. Manasquan is a sweet little town with a couple of nice shops and a great diner! I doubt I'll be back there, but if I had to come back I would absolutely book this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
new jersey
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Would love to know the manufacturer of the matress, it was wonderful! Very nice to be able to take the elevator to the ground floor and enter the Firefly Bistro where we enjoyed a delightful meal. When making the reservations and I mentioned it was listed under bed and breakfast accomodations in Manasquan I was told there was no breakfast included, we could eat in the restaurant downstairs. Not open for breakfast (perhaps this is seasonal?) The tea shop two doors down was nice. Toilet issues which my son came over and fixed (was visitng him for the weekend) as there is only a number to contact if there are any problems - the staff of Firefly was quick to tell you they had nothing to do with 'Inn'. Also was a bit disappointed to find 'black hair' in the shower and around the bathroom - my hair is light, so it definately wasn't mine! A suggestion is to pull into the driveway, exit on the side street and pull into the parking in front of the building to unload, then go circle the block and park your car in the lot as there is only two hour parking directly in front of the building, plenty of parking in the auxilliary lot, not much in the lot directly behind the Inn. The few spaces are also shared with the Firefly patrons, the rest are for the townhouse residents. (You can only enter through the Main Street entrance at the front of the building and when you have a handicapped person with you, it can be more distance than they can comfortably walk). There is only one handicapped spot behind the building, which we needed and didn't always get if we left and came back to the room. Dorm sized fridge in room (freezer section so frosted over you couldn't get the ice cube tray out) and one cup coffee pot, also has an ironing board and iron as well as hair blower in bath. All in all a nice stay, the comments above were just for your information, as there is not that much info on the website. Nice to have visited, but next time would look for a room closer to where my son lives.

Room Tip: The room we used faced Main Street. Although we looked out our balcony onto the gas station across t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Inn on Main Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Many thanks for your comments. Stearns & Foster is the brand for our pillow-top mattress.

"Very clean" is often the comment we hear from so many reviews and I apologize that we failed to do just that for you stay. I have shared your comment with the room attendant.

Regarding breakfast, it is explicit on our website, and through the booking and confirmation process that the room rate does not include this, and options abound mere steps from the Inn. I am glad you found one nearby that you liked. But with the toilet issue, I am perplexed that you had not called the hotline. I am sure your son is handy and appears to have fixed whatever the issue was, but this by itself, may have yielded a different result - like water damage, for example. I assure you we could have assisted in the matter.

I thank you for your business and we are glad that you were overall pleased with our product.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The lobby smells of cooking grease. The rooms are large and bathrooms are, too. Booked hotel for access to fireplace but it didn't work. Rooms are accessed by code that's sent to you. No staff, no phones so no way to get help.

• Stayed March 2012
innonmainmanasquan, Owner at Inn on Main Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Today, I inspected all 12 rooms of this beautiful inn and turned all 11 fireplaces with a flick of a switch. All of them roared to life like a brand new car. If a previous guest fiddles the knobs and closes the vent, the fireplace will not start for the next guest, but this is not what I found in today's walkthrough.

I frankly find this review incredulous. The guest booked the Inn because of the fireplace but appears to have never called us because, as guest states, there are no public phones in the hotel and therefore he cannot reach staff. There are some assumptions we do make, and one is that almost everyone has a mobile phone. Those that did not have one, in our experience, called from our Ground Floor restaurant (BTW, that is why there is some cooking smell in the lobby, but rest assured it does not travel to the upper floors).

Any hotel simply cannot be of assistance, if it is not notified. To rate our Inn low due to this entirely avoidable situation, in my opinion, is irresponsible and an affront to us Innkeepers.
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My husband and I had never been to the Jersey Shore so we finally went and spent a few days.....This was a delightful spot to spend them in......It was located amid all the shops and restaurants....it was intimate and charming......The decor was an upscale beach decor...soothing yet inviting......We just loved the fireplace, perfect touch and certainly used it......From the rooms to the elevator to the entry it was an impeccably clean property.....We would suggest upon arrival to try and park in front to have an easier time bringing in your luggage....there is no back door in the parking area....My only complaint was the fact that there was no bathtub - a very large shower, but no tub and I do not like showers! but overall I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room faced the back.....and there is no real view....I would prefer the front just to see what i...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manasquan
3.2 km away
1.9 km away
Sea Girt Lodge
Sea Girt Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sea Girt

Been to Inn on Main Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK