“Website pics are outdated and deceiving. Run down estate & NO TV's!”

Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Lambertville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2016

This place was a disappointment. Obviously has a "hands off" owner who doesn't care about the place. Take a look at the pics we took instead of the website photos. If you are planning a wedding PLEASE make a site visit 1st.

Website says there are moms and baby alpacas and a llama. 2 of them died so now they have 7 males and a couple are nasty and aggressive towards the nicer ones. We were feeding them and they started fighting & spitting at each other so we had to stop. The barn they live in is falling down and they sweep all the poop in front of the gate where you feed them. It's disgusting. We had poop all over our sneakers. They are supposed to graze on grass but they are in an electrified fenced in area with no grass, just 5 foot high weeds. So sad! They look neglected like the grounds.

The grounds are over grown with weeds and the paint is peeling off the house. We stayed in the Tapestry room. It smelled like an old dirty bathroom and only had one shade so we had to cover the other window with a blanket. You had to bend down to get under the shower and the claw foot tub was uneven so it rocked back and forth while trying to shower. Our balcony was a small roof and almost impossible to get to. No wifi in the room, only downstairs in the common area. Website said wifi in the room amenities as well as baked goods. Both were false. You get travel size shampoo and conditioner but no bar soap. No TV, no working clock and no radio but the AC worked like a charm (thank the Lord) cause it was 99 degrees all 4 days we were there. They did make up your bed every day which was nice.

No coffee until breakfast at 8:30am on weekends and 9am on weekdays. We are early risers so a self serve pot in the common area would have been nice. A microwave would have been nicer. The best part was the breakfast. However, there's a language barrier with the cook. We don't like scrambled eggs so we spent 10 minutes describing over easy eggs. We ended up getting over medium and over hard eggs but it was still nice to have a home cooked breakfast. The cook was nice to us and did her best to make us happy.

The common area had the most comfy leather couches so we spent most of our time in there. This was our favorite room, very relaxing. However, This room wasn't cleaned once in 4 days. Same cobwebs on the clock and shelves when we arrived as when we left. You could write your name in the dust on the table. The common kitchen area was messy and dirty with gnats all over the oj. They did offer free water bottles which was nice.

The only reason we went was for the alpacas. Inkeeper Frank promised us an "alpaca handling" experience for $45. We scheduled it for Sunday at 11am and his email reply was "consider it done". Well, he was a no show. The girl on duty had no idea what was going on so she called the owner who also never heard of a handling class. He promised us that Frank would come in the next day and my daughter could help him walk the alpacas. We waited around and Frank came, fed them and waved goodbye and left. So we checked out and left.

Inkeeper Frank should not be in hospitality. He was like a little kid telling us how he loves PA gun laws, almost drooling. Apparently, they are more strict in NJ. We are anti guns so he should keep his opinions to himself. He wasn't very nice to the alpacas. He bragged about purchasing a llama for $2k and already made 10k off of him so I guess he found his golden egg. He was never around to help guests. Like the poor senior couple on the 3rd floor who's AC was broken and no one was around to help them. They were told to go into a storage room for a fans and had to wait until the next day to get a new AC unit. It was a 100 degrees that day. They were told "no refunds" but they still checked out a day early. The office was closed 90% of the time only offering self check in which resulted in guests asking us questions.

The owner needs to be more hands on to make sure things are being done. He needs to hire a grounds keeper and a house keeper that cleans daily. If your not willing to do it right, get out of the business. Don't run it into the ground and then sell it because no one is going to want a business with a bad reputation. This place has potential to be great.

Please fill the pot holes with gravel. Each of us fell into at least one pot hole jarring our back walking to & fro the parking lot. It's a trip hazard and very bouncy driving through them.

It cost us $825 for 3 nights....what a rip off. This is why I wrote a book because I expect better paying almost $300 a night. Shame on you and your bait & switch practices. Don't respond to my feedback with a template response, instead spend the time fixing up your B&B...please!

If you thought this review was helpful, please click the thumbs up button below. Thanks for reading!

Room Tip: Ask if the wifi reaches the room you want
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
13  Thank ILuvVacationing
Richard A, Executive Vice President at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2016

We are sorry that you were disappointed. It is our intention to provide an environment where all of our guests can have a great experience. We apologize to you and your family. Upon arrival you were given my personal cellphone number which you never called. Upon check-out you were sent an e-mail with my personal e-mail address so that you could contact me and express how your stay was and if less than expected give me a chance to make things right with you. You never e-mailed me. Instead you choose to write a very gruesome review with lots of exaggerations and inaccuracies. I am not sure what your motivation is for doings so. I do know that we have thousands of very happy guests through our 22 years as Inn Owners. I will review your comments with Frank and Giovanna (who called me to help you.) You remember when I personally took you and your daughter into the pasture so she could feed the alpacas in the barn. I wonder why you didn't mention that ... hmmm. Again my apologies for disappointing you.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

I booked a room here for my wife and I to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I only give it one star out of five because I can't give it zero. I have nothing positive to say at all. We stayed in a "room" called Vincent's Hideaway. Why the quotes around "room"? Because it's really an attic in a very old house. You open the door and immediately hit a small, very steep staircase with a low ceiling. I'm lucky I didn't bang my head. At the top of the stairs, you are in the room. A king-size bed takes up 80% of the room. Ceilings are low and slanted; walking around the bed I could not stand up straight. The room was very warm, and all it had for cooling was one small, inadequate window air conditioner. We wanted to lie down, relax, and watch some TV - except that the room didn't have a TV. There was no TV in the building. The carpet was old and stained (see pictures below). The ceiling was old and stained. And the bathroom.... The bathroom was very big for reasons I don't understand. The shower was nasty, a small fiberglass stall. How's this for toiletries - a half-used bottle of Suave Body Wash. (See pictures again.) There was a note by the toilet saying that since the property had an old septic system, they only provided one-ply toilet paper. At bedtime, the only way we got the room to cool down at all was to completely close the bathroom door, which turned the bathroom into a sauna.

Now, on to the breakfast part.... Breakfast was a fruit cup, French toast and sausage. Sounds good.... well, the fruit cup was honeydew with a little orange and two raspberries. Not awful, but then the main course arrived. When I think about French toast at a bed & breakfast, I picture big, thick, fresh bread. Wrong. We each got two pieces of basic store-brand white bread, served along side two small sausage links (probably Hillshire Frams). Beverages? You had to get up and get those yourself. I'm leaving out the butler's pantry - you know, the mini-fridge with the rotten lemon in it.

Thankfully we ate dinner at a good place in town, so the weekend wasn't a complete disaster. But the Chimney Hill sure was. I'd sleep in my car - hell, I'd sleep in the street - before I would ever pay one penny to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Steve S

Upon your arrival you were given my personal cellphone number for you to call if you had any questions or issues. I never received a phone call from you. It is our intention to as we have done for 22 years create an environment where guest and have a great experience. You were staying in the home of Hollywood actress Kate French. The estate home was built by Margret Spencer in 1927. Vincent Hideaway is third floor room with five windows. It isn't an attic. The room is decorate with original artwork. The carpet wasn't stained when you check into the room. So I assume you spilled something on the rug and wrote this horrible review to cover it up. You will still be held responsible for this damage. You forgot to mention in the butler pantry refrigerator is complimentary beer, wine, soda and ice tea for the guests enjoyment. ( not sure why the lemon was there) When you checked out you received an e-mail with a chance to tell me if the stay didn't meet your expectations and give me a chance to make it right. You chose instead to write this inaccurate review. I will review your comments with our staff and we will strive to make improvements where ever we are able. I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

We just got away for a couple days here, the estate consists of a few stone buildings, greenhouse and a small barn for the few alpacas in residence. Off the road and quiet, this place is a perfect escape from stress. The room was comfortable, bed big and firm lots of pillows and covers. Natural light from windows was great, not harsh. Toiletries were very nice smelling. The decor is somewhere between Victorian and kitschy, very well put together. The dining room is cozy with views of the property, there is a pantry where the owner leaves homemade treats (cookies, blueberry pie) for the guests. The breakfasts were really excellent, plenty and delicious: pancakes with sausages and Canadian bacon one day, scrambled eggs with hash browns and sausage the next. They start you with warm, sweet fruit confection (banana, then apples). Coffee, juice are self serve. Owner is very pleasant and explained the story behind the alpacas in the property. The alpacas, all boys, are shy except when they see you have treats for them. They sell alpaca food baggies on the inn as well. There is a small store on the property where they sell little crafts, some made of alpaca wool, as well as books and local paintings.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have nice views of the road and property.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jorgito715

Thank you for your review. It is our intention to create an environment where our guests can have a great experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2016

I found this B&B last minute on Travelocity and got what I thought would be a good deal on a room for one night in Lambertville at $120. This was my first time ever staying in a B&B so I didn't really know what to expect. Upon arriving at the estate I was trying to figure out where I enter to register and Rich (the manager?) opens one of the front doors and took me to the back of the building where the tiny office is and handed me a key to Room #2 in the main house which had a private bathroom with it but across the hall (3 feet away). I found this to be no problem even for a person who has to use it a couple of times in the middle of the night. There was a window unit for A/C and no TV. The main house I thought was very old but charming as was my room and bathroom just as I would expect a B&B. My low rating is for the service I got. After receiving my key from Rich, I never saw another human being again. No other guests or workers of any kind were anywhere and it made me feel like I was staying in someone's home by myself with them not there. The butlers pantry was empty except for some cans of coke and not enough ice to fill one glass and there was no refridgerator anywhere which was unfortunate because I had some things I wanted to put in it. The bathroom didn't even have a bar of soap, just some body wash and a tiny container of shampoo and I had to make do with them. The bed I found reasonably comfortable and I got up early at 6:30am as I usually do but there was no coffee anywhere which is a must for me so I decided that it wasn't worth staying around for their breakfast which is served at 9am. As I was leaving I still never saw anyone although I did notice that now there were two other cars in the parking lot. I had no idea what to do with my room key so I just left it sitting on the office window ledge. To tell you the truth, I just couldn't wait to get out of there. This was the cheapest room I could find in the Lambertville area but I still would expect more amenities for my money.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank iruninnj

Thank you for your review. It is our intention to create an environment where our guests can have a great experience. You were given my personal cellphone to call for any issues or questions. There is always coffee in the butler pantry. If you needed anything all you had to do is call. I apologize that we didn't meet you expectations.

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

This is our 5th time at Chimney Hill Estate and it won't be our last ! Located on Goat Hill Rd in Lambertsville,NJ tucked away in a secluded area, you couldn't find a more peaceful and charming place to spend a few days. Richard, the owner, couldn't be anymore accomadating and nice. We always stay at the barn #3 with the spiral staircase and jacuzzi, plenty of space to layout and relax. Then there is the home cooked breakfast which is alway fresh and plentiful !! Doesn't get better then this !! Can't wait to return.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Terry A, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Thank you for your review!
We hope you can come back again for another visit.
Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lambertville
1.2 km away
6.8 km away
Woolverton Inn
Woolverton Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockton

Been to Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK