“Best Sushi this side of the Hudson”
Review of Honshu

Honshu
Ranked #23 of 655 Restaurants in Jersey City
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: Celebrating being favorite Japanese restaurant in Jersey City for 11 years. Now, Honshu moved down a block away to bigger location features full bar with world awarded sake, beers & wines collection. Honshu focus on unique & modern dishes with fresh ingredients. Introducing Omakase - chef choice is best option to experience memorable dining. The spaces feature large outdoor space, full cocktail bar, outdoor beers bar, and private space. Take out, delivery, party platter and catering are the options.
Reviewed 25 August 2017

I was thrilled to find out that we had a high quality Sushi restaurant in Hudson county. Expensive for Jersey City but a bargain for NYC. We had friends visiting from landlocked Kansas City. We chose not to do the Omakase, as I didn't want to be too experimental for them. Ordered a sushi and sashima varieties, noodles and their popular items like spicy tuna tartar, volcano king and rock shrimp. The waiter was helpful with the choice of saki and specials from Japan. Everything is fresh. Next time my partner and I will sit at the counter and enjoy the Omakase.

1  Thank prodman

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

This place has really good quality sushi. We had a few good rolls with the Honshu roll being the best roll, we also went for the tuna tartar as an appetizer which was great. Our host was nice and friendly, and she was honest about the right portions we should order.
On the down side the seating it is very basic, and the rolls are pricey. However I still enjoyed and would go back

Reviewed 5 July 2017

Visit again for Omakase this time. Sit on the bar. Live jiggling shrimp today! I watched them while still alive than chef cut and serve it. Sweet and tasty. Sadly, they don't have it everyday. After, live scallop is another wow of the day.
Smokey barracuda is good and interesting. Blue fin toro is excellent, buttery and $$$$, but it is amazing.
Service - no need to be mentioned. Very friendly and cool. I spent slightly expensive to experience this tasting menu. If they are in Manhattan, I am sure that it will be double. It is the reason why I travel to Jersey City for this.
Cocktails are innovative & cool. But do not miss their sake selection.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

We took a client here on their recommendation and were very impressed. The restaurant is very unassuming when you walk in but that changed as soon as our waiter came to the table. He was very knowledgeable and recommended a lot of great dishes. We ended up ordering all of the sashimi appetizers and werent disappointed. Even the few in our crowd that did not like raw fish, enjoyed the sashimi. Overall, it was a great night and everyone was impressed with their food.

1  Thank bbucker13
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I visited a few days ago with a bunch of work colleagues, we all ordered different starters and mains and everybody thoroughly enjoyed their food.. reasonably priced and well worth a visit.

1  Thank Scottish_Wanderer66