“Simple and complex at the same time”
Review of The Peasant Grill

The Peasant Grill
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Hopewell
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 15 January 2020 via mobile

This cozy eatery lives up to its name: simple, delicious fare served in ample quantities, in a pleasant setting. The Peasant Grill takes everyday food choices and turns them into complex, culinary delights.
I had the portabello sandwich on a whole wheat bun that was excellent. Maybe it was the home-made pesto which added all that flavor? My side was broccoli rabe, which is notorious for its possible bitterness, but the Grill's was tangy and delicious. A friend had the baked salmon which she said was great. Another had the quiche made with bree, which was super creamy. The soups were wonderful and the meatballs, lovingly made by hand daily, according to the manager, Barry, were huge and scrumptious. At the end of our meal, several took home substantial doggy bags to enjoy the next day, but, unfortunately, none of us had room for dessert. That looked like a real loss, because there were two cases full of home-made desserts and baked goods to choose from. Oh well, I guess I will just have to go back for a mid-afternoon treat. Him, I think I'll do that sooner rather than later, and probably often!

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank catherinesmitch
Write a reviewReviews (126)

Reviewed 6 November 2019 via mobile

The restaurant offers a varied menu. The food is consistently good. The desserts are out of this world and service is good. My friends and I come here for dinner and sometimes lunch multiple times a week. This is our favorite go-to place for a quick meal.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank Isabel S
Reviewed 26 October 2019 via mobile

My wife had a good, not great Spinach and Provolone Quiche and I had a very good Meatloaf Hoagie. Definitely would consider going back.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed 12 October 2019 via mobile

I don't usually review a place twice, but it seems like all of the reviews focus on lunch and dinner at Peasant. But it's great for breakfast, too!

They apply the same creativity to breakfast that they do to lunch and dinner. For example, the old lunch favorite, the BLT, becomes a breakfast special, the "AM BLT," with the addition of two fried eggs on top of crispy bacon, tomatoes and spinach (instead of lettuce) on multigrain toast (see photo). Healthy AND Delicious!

And the standard Breakfast Sandwich becomes something just a little bit special when the fried egg and cheese is served on a Brioche instead of a boring English Muffin.

I love that the owners come around to check on the food and, if you are so inclined, to chat with you.

Date of visit: October 2019
1  Thank TeamMan
Reviewed 28 September 2019 via mobile

Corned beef hash was really tasty. Service was good. Good outdoor space too.

A lovely setting in a pretty small town.

Date of visit: September 2019