“Great hotel, great city views”
Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Shanghai, China
“Great hotel, great city views”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Great service, great rooms, amazing skyline views, nice balconies, great running path along Hudson.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed many of the great advantages we offer at W Hoboken: the convenience to New York City, the amazing views, and our wonderful hotel staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken! – Anna M., General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I thought I'd break in my W experience at the Hoboken, NJ location as I have been staying with Sheraton's, and Westin's all of my life. I was an Airline Employee brat and now an Airline employee myself. I have herd a great deal of the W brand but have not tried it out until now. I checked in to the W Hoboken late at night on March 29th for a quick 2 night stay. This location is on the Hoboken waterfront with beautiful views across the Hudson to the Manhattan, New York Cityscape. Check-in staff was cordial and business like. I had booked a "Spectacular" room type and was given the 16th floor Room 1615 which made me happy. The room size is just right for two with a King Size bed although I could swear it was a Queen yet very very comfortable and slept soundly. The room itself was ample, clean and trendy if necessarily spartan in furnishings with a swivel circular shaped couch "which was cool" and made for gazing out the floor to ceiling windows across the Hudson all the more comfortable. Bathroom was clean and modern although be careful; as the Shower over Tub has a half glassed partition that does not quite fully enclose the area when taking a shower thus it can create a good sized puddle on the floor. Room Service: Now this is where I tend to go a little crazy. I love Room Service however, I'll never learn as I continue to suffer the sticker shock when the bill comes. Room Service charges are high and is an unfortunate reality of the business today although each Hotel brand has varying degrees of reasonableness or exorbitance. The W tacks on a $5 delivery fee on top of a 22% service charge so keep this in mind. The food in Room Service was good overall. Breakfast was tasty and the coffee good the food was warm but could've been more-so. I always give the Hotel Hamburgers a try and I must say the W's version was delicious so I had it twice !! Also tried the Pizza (mmmmm might stick with the Burger). Now, while I may have griped mildly regarding the Room Service charges the food prices themselves were in line and moderate with the exception of soft drinks which are overpriced. Watch for the well stocked and coolness of the Munchie Bar and drinks in your fridge another source of high sticker shock but again in-line with the reality of the business. I was able to make it downstairs a couple of times to the Bar or "Living Room" as it's called very comfortable seating area and just plain cool to be in. Cocktails are pricey but in-line with upscale Hotel standards oh and they make a great Bloody Mary and Martini's with excellent olives. Now, over a Day and a half I managed to spend about a thousand dollars with a majority of the dollars spent on Room Service and "Living Room" bar bills. You can certainly moderate your Hotel behavior and be well above or below what I spent nevertheless, I think you'll enjoy this W and I will make it a point to stay here again if mostly to test consistency and to try out a "Cool Corner Room" if I can get one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TcMarin
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience on TripAdvisor! I’m glad we could make your first W experience a truly memorable stay. Guest satisfaction and customer service is very important to us and I’m delighted to hear we impressed you while you took advantage of all that our hotel offers. If you enjoyed your Spectacular Room, you will truly be WOW-ed by our Cool Corner Rooms! When your travels bring you back to the area, we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken! – Anna M., General Manager
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I decided to try this W out, as I'm a loyal W guest. As an SPG Platinum( I made Platinum status twice this year), I didn't receive a room upgrade, although when I made my reservation on the day of my arrival, there were suites available ( if I would've known that I wasn't going to get upgraded, I would've just booked a suite). At check-in, the woman at the desk, who was nice, offered me 2 complimentary cocktail passes, but since I don't drink, she said that she'd send up 2 Diet Cokes to my room instead ( which never happened).
When I asked for a bucket of ice, at 2:30PM, it took over an hour to receive it.
When the gentleman at the Whatever Whenever desk found out that my birthday is this week, and I've been travelling as a birthday celebration( a big deal for me this year since I spent a major part of the year helping sick relatives and friends), he was planning something "special" for my birthday. I even overheard him saying something about getting the "paperwork" done for something over the phone. Of course, nothing came out of it. He actually kind of got me excited, since Ws always thrill. Another let down.
The room was a Wonderful Room category, but compared to other Ws I've been too, this Wonderful Room felt a little tight and a little conservative. Ws are suppose to be far from conservative. The only benefit of the room was the view! I was facing the building across the street, but when looking to my 1 o'clock, I had a nice view of the Hudson and Manhattan. In fact, I actually was able to see the W Downtown from my room.
The walls were paper thin. I could actually here the people walking in the room above me, as well as one of my neighbours doing something in their closet.
Also, the AC in my room would work for about an hour, then stop for the next couple of hours. I didn't bother calling to get it fixed because if a bucket of ice takes over an hour to get, who know's how long it would take to get maintenance up!
Staff wise, I don't have anything negative nor positive to say. Compared to other Ws, the staff didn't really give me the W service that has kept me a true W fan.
Also, as an SPG Platinum, I'm entitled to free internet. When I received the bill, they charged me TWICE for internet use! Hopefully they took that off my bill AFTER I brought it to their attention, but again, it seems that inter-staff communication might not be one of their strong points...
All in all, the room rates really aren't that much different from the rates of the Ws in NYC. So, if you'll be spending your time in NYC and want the true W experience, there's no point in staying at this property. I would recommend staying in NYC.
While it was a decent hotel, I'm not sure if I'll give it another try. When I stay at a W, I want W service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JakeSG
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your W Hoboken experience. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest levels of service and I must apologize for falling short of that goal. I’m sorry there were no suites available at the time of check-in as well as your Diet Cokes and birthday surprise which were never delivered. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I will be sure to address this with my team. My sincerest apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced. I know that’s not what you expect when you stay with us for rest and relaxation. Please don’t hesitate to contact our Whatever/Whenever department if you encounter any Engineering issues in your room as guest satisfaction is very important to us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the views from your Wonderful room. Again, many thanks for sharing your feedback. When travels bring you back to the area, we do look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken. – Anna M., General Manager
Melville, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel was AMAZING! Customer Service was amazing. I brought my puppy and the treated him like a king. He had the best time ever. He was pampered with treats a bed, food, walks, play time. The hotel was beautiful, view was immjaculate, and the area full of great resturants and bars. Best Fourth of July ever! I will deff be back and love to live there some day!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I would have never thought I would enjoy staying outside the city so much. This hotel has amazing customer service and is an amazing location. Every night, I went to bed looking at the beautiful NY skyline. Incredible view! We took the PATH train into the city and back...so easy. I loved coming back to a fun neighborhood with great restaurants....great meals and you can't miss a trip to Carlos' bakery. I will strongly consider staying in the W Hoboken vs the city next time. I loved it!

Room Tip: ask for a city view