“Malaga is one of, if not the best restaurant I have ever been too!”
Review of Malaga Restaurant

Malaga Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 115 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the rich flavors of authentic Spanish food when you dine at Malaga Spanish Restaurant in Hamilton, New Jersey. In addition to serving the best Spanish food around, we also offer professional catering services. Any of the dishes featured on our catering menu are sure to be a huge hit with your guests. Visit us today to try any of our delicious menu options.
Reviewed 18 January 2018

My wife and I have frequented Malaga Spanish Restaurant several times over the years, often going on holidays, such as birthdays, anniversaries and Valentine's Day. So when my wife's family wanted a suggestion of where to have my wife's birthday, Malaga was a no brainer. Not to mention, her birthday fell on the same day as a Flamenco show, which occurs every second sunday of each month. For many at the party, it was their first experience at Malaga, and although many traveled more than 50 miles to join us, I doubt it will be their last visit. Everyone was taken aback after each course, in how delicious the food at Malaga is. Also, the personal and kind care taken by the staff, which really made the difference in ensuring a wonderful birthday party for my wife. Several pitchers of red and white Sangria were consumed, as it may be the finest Sangria any of us had ever enjoyed. We also received a complimentary digestif, as the staff of Malaga really took such great care of us throughout the evening. The Flamenco Show, performed by Flamenco Flavor was outstanding. The singer's voice was incredible, as songs were sung with great emotion and passion. The dancer's were phenomenal as they displayed great talent and passion as well. Turns out, having a birthday party on the same night as the Flamenco show was not an original idea, as there were five other birthday parties as well. I know, because the staff serenaded each party, as they had done for my wife. Such a wonderful evening was had by everyone in the restaurant. Everyone swarmed the stage for pictures with the dancers, as they were completely adored by the everyone in the room. A great meal, the best wait and bar staff anywhere, a wonderful show and a fantastic birthday party. What more could anyone want? I highly recommend anyone that enjoys Spanish dishes, such as Paella and Mariscada (and Sangria) to visit Malaga Spanish Restaurant on Lalor Street in Hamilton, NJ. Furthermore, they always have awesome specials available every time we go, we sampled a few of the appetizer specials during our latest visit, but the dinner specials sounded amazing as well. Thank you very much to everyone Malaga for providing our family with such a wonderful experience. See you soon!

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Malaga Spanish Restaurant in Hamilton Township NJ is a great place for special occasions. It offers a festive fun night of good food and entertainment. Every 2nd Sunday of the month Malaga hosts a Spanish guitarist and a pair of flamenco dancers who offer a great show to go with your meal. So my family decided to celebrate my daughter’s birthday with dinner at Malaga.

Malaga's dinner/entertainment room is small – with about 15 or 20 tables (combination of some very long tables and small tables) with narrow walkways between them. The staff is friendly and we felt welcomed as we were escorted to our table and placing our orders. However the service during dinner was frantic. With servers racing about the restaurant through these narrow walkways to meet the needs of each table. Errors in service were frequent and noticeable over the course of our meal.

We ordered appetizers for the table, shrimp in garlic sauce and calamari. We also heard good things about the homemade sangria served here so we ordered sangria for the table as well. The shrimp in garlic was very good. However, the calamari was tough and not tasty like I have had at other restaurants. In addition, it was delivered with an empty sauce bowl. The server was in such as hurry to get this dish to the table they did not notice a key element of the entree was missing – the dipping sauce for the calamari. It took some time to flag down the waiter to correct this. When the sauce finally arrived we still disappointed. The sauce tasted more like barbecue sauce than the typical dipping sauce for calamari. The sangria was good but it was a bit strong.

We ordered several main courses – the paella marinera (seafood over a bed of saffron rice), the mariscada salsa verde (seafood cooked with wine and garlic sauce in its own bowl with saffron rice on the side), pollo al ajilio (chicken in garlic sauce) and arroz con pollo (chicken on saffron rice) which is dairy free and gluten free and safe for those with allergies in our party. All of our main courses were very large and very good. Most of us could not finish our meals. But once again, items were missed from our order when delivered. The mariscada salsa verde was delivered to the table without the saffron rice on the side and I had to flag down our waiter once again.

Malaga offers an extensive dessert menu with pictures of each dessert. We ordered gelato and malago (not sure of the spelling) coffee. Much to my surprise when the gelato arrived it did not look anything like its picture which was ice cream stacked in a glass jar. What was served look like sliced ice cream cake with chocolate drizzle on a very big plate. But no matter how they served it, it was delicious. This gelato was really good one of my favorite dishes of the night. My daughter also raved about her malago coffee and was surprised by the amount of alcohol that was in it.

When booking reservations for the show we were told it was best to book dinner at 5PM for a show that starts at 5:30PM and last about 30 mins. But the artist arrived to set up at 5:30PM and were not ready to perform until 6:30 PM. Then they played to about 8PM with a 30-min intermission in the middle. The artist showcased several traditional styles of Spanish music and dance in a really uplifting performance greatly adding to the festive mood in the room. There is a $12 cover charge for the show, but for the hour of entertainment it was well worth the cost of admission. Next to the food (especially the desserts) the show was the highlight of our evening. If you are planning to eat at Malaga try to book during show time they do it one Sunday each month and call ahead for the estimated start time.

If you are interested in attending the show book reservations well ahead. We attempted to book reservations for the dinner and the show the Friday before the show for six people but were told the dining room for the show was booked up. Malaga does offer other rooms for dinner without the show. They suggested we either call for cancellations to be booked for the show or just book dinner in the room without the show and hope for a last-minute cancellation that Sunday, and we would be moved if there is room. Well, we went with plan B and booked dinner at 5PM in the room without the show but called for cancellations each day. Each time I called there was no change in the reservation status for the show. But when we arrived for dinner at 5PM that Sunday we got a break and a table for six for the show had opened up

For those celebrating a birthday at Malaga they offer a roving band of mariachi who played the guitar, clapped and sang Happy Birthday as they raced to your table with a lighted birthday cake. I am not sure if every birthday was legitimate but it seemed that every table in the place had a least one person celebrating a birthday that day. So the mariachi made many trips racing between the kitchen to each table as they delivered cakes and sang to each party. Many parties brought a real full-size birthday cake which the mariachi delivered while others – like my daughter - settled for a bit size flan cake with a single candle

With a cost per dinner entrees of about $25, appetizers at $15, dessert at $10 and a $12 charge for the show, an evening at the Malaga is not a cheap night out but it is certainly a very memorable one. I would rate the service average, the meals very good and the entertainment excellent that night.

Malaga also offers plenty of private parking but unfortunately not all in a single lot. Parking is spread across three small lots – a small lot for about 16 cars next the restaurant with an entrance on Hewitt Ave, a larger overflow lot across the street from the restaurant with entrances from Hewitt Ave and Henry St and second smaller overflow lot on the same block as the restaurant with an entrance on Henry St. There is street parking in the area was well. Parking does fill up especially during show time. Considering most restaurants in the Trenton/Hamilton area do not offer parking in private lots this is another advantage to eating here.

Coupons for meals midweek are available on their website and they do offer takeout as well.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

Went there for a holiday party, Food was great and plentiful. Nice selection of food from Spain. Nice change of venue to all the other restaurants in the area,

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Have mot been in almost a year, but remembering our last meal, I thought I would write a review.
EXCELLENT!!! The quslity of the food and the way it was prepared was exquisite. Love the seafood, steaks, and these stuffed peppers they make are to die for!
After writing this it is making me rhing we need to return very soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

If you like authentic Spanish Portuguese food this is the place. The quantity and quality is outstanding. Save yourself to the Newark Ironbound section my a visit here. The catering is super with abundance of food that keeps coming. I suggest you have your next party here. They also have Flamenco dancing once a month.