“Surprisingly Good”

Humphrey's Tavern
Ranked #9 of 13 Restaurants in Glen Gardner
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 25
Reviewed 10 July 2017

My parents and I visited Humphrey's Tavern on a whim as it had changed hands. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The new decor is fantastic - beautiful wood floors and exposed brick walls, I'd say upscale pub feeling to it. The menu has a lot of great, interesting items, I think something for everybody. The pull apart pretzel with dip appetizer is amazing! We all had sandwiches or salads, all of which were very good. We will definitely be back. I did not get a chance to check out the bar by I've heard good reviews of the bar and the bartenders from others.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

We went for Mothers Day Brunch .
Since Brunch is a replacement of 2 meals I expected a generous portion or at least some other food on the plate. I ordered the Ricotta Pancakes. The 2 small sized pancakes on my plate were some of the best I have ever had. All that came with it were 3 blackberries.
I would have thought a breakfast meat or a large bowl of fruit would have been on the side. Or perhaps offered a la carte. I left quite hungry and had to make a meal when I got home. The service was subpar. Took 2 hours to get out. Place was not packed. 30 minutes between plates getting cleared until asked about coffee and dessert. The cappuccino was very good.
To sum it up, food great, service slow, and disappointed with food amount.
We have been here at least a dozen times over the years, this is the first time I didn't have a great experience. We will return.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

We love the stonework restoration and enjoy the feeling of history when dining at Humphrey's. Because we live locally, it's an easy destination. Their only drawback is that the food quality and service can be erratic, and so if it's an important dinner out we hesitate to go there. Overall the dining experience is good, but if it's an off night it can be pretty bad.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

I will echo some of the other reviewers; this place has potential. Great interior, good menu. But execution needs work. My wife tried two different cocktails and both were pretty lousy. The server got the salad order wrong, but it was quickly corrected. My onion soup was excellent. My entree (meatloaf) was very disappointing. It was a barely warm lump of grey, tasteless ground meat, sitting in watery mashed potatoes. The chef likes to just pile each item directly on top of one another, so presentation is just not enticing. My wife's short rib sandwich was a bit of a mess too, but she said it tasted good. We really want this place to succeed; we love old historic taverns/inns that have been rescued and renovated. We will be back; hoping for better results.

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

Very classy tavern done in warm woods and beautiful stone decor. Warm and cozy but the best is the innovative food selections. The entire menu gives offerings of tried and true comfort food with a twist. Chicken and Waffles had chestnut flavored waffles and gravy with apples and sweet potato purée. Even the drinks are special and classy: pear purée, vodka, champagne was refreshing and delicious. Nice surprise.