“Amazing for steaks! BYOB”

Christian's Steak and Grill
Ranked #7 of 81 Restaurants in Garfield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

I have been going to Christian's for a very long time; I absolutely enjoy their food, I think the steak (churrasco chileno, skirt steak) is delicious! Getting there is easy, there are a few parking spots in the front and a few more in the back of the restaurant. This is a BYOB place along with "Be your own waiter/waitress" If you are looking for a restaurant like treatment this is not the place. "Just great food..." as their logo says it. They have a board right in front of the kitchen with all their selections (they do not deliver but you can order to-go). I have tried the churrasco, and the cheesesteak sandwich along with their rice with beans and vegetables; all really good. Food comes right out so usually even on a busy day it does not take a long time for you to get your food (literally you go up to the counter and get it) there is a fridge with sodas, juices and water in case you don't bring your own. The owner is a very nice gentleman from Chile. He is loud and often yells at his employees stuff related to the kitchen so don't think he is mad or mean. He will yell "Señor, Señora or my friend" when the food is ready. I love walking into the restaurant and having him saying Hola Señora loudly across the place. The portions are big so if you don't have a big appetite you can split with someone else. Overall as far as quality and taste of food goes this place is the best! I always look forward to enjoying my steak. This is not a fancy place so no dress code, since is a small place and the kitchen is in the open you will come out smelling like food which I do not mind unless I am going elsewhere. However this place is highly recommended

Reviewed 2 May 2016

I found this place with friends looking to byo and beef and googled it for this area and this place kept coming up. I'v had the 24 Oz. Porterhouse and it was a very big steak and grilled t perfection (M-R) and at $26 with sides it's a steal. I got the herb butter and suteed mushrooms & onion and they were sit down steak house qaulity. The grill chef owner is a lot of laughs while you watch him perform his magic on the grill behind the counter. He gave us a wine opener and we shared a glass while waiting. My wife had the butcher steak that appeared to be a cut from the waist area of the steer, maybe hanger or flank and it cut like butter. Again cooked to a perfect, medium rare, very pink with juices running clear with pepper and onions and rice. She was very happy. since then i come in a couple time for lunch for the hereos sandwich on the menu, grilled chicken that had so much flavor that it had to be marinated over night in garlic and olive oil, vinegar. and the next time had the house made pastrami. It was as good as any place in manhattan, both at $6.85. It is a stand at counter and order and wait for your food, byo and that saves lot of money.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

We eat here pretty often, the steaks are great high grade meat, they cook them right in front of you.
Prices are good and the place is clean, the owner is very friendly and it is always cooked to the way you asked for it.

Reviewed 19 April 2016

Christian's will offer you the most bang for your buck. Although this place is CASH only, you can get a great steak with garlic bread, string beans, broccoli and a chosen side (mashed potatoes, rice & beans, or french fries) for less than $20. The most expensive steaks are their 24oz which is only around $25. There are maybe 10-12 tables in the place and ordering is very convenient. You just order at the register and he calls you when the order is finished. Enjoy eating first, and pay before you go. Cosmo, the guy who you will usually see at the cashier taking your order is a very nice and personable person. Just respect him, and he respects you back. If you sit right by the register, be mindful when people are trying to order and don't be too loud.

Also, I have tried the rack of ribs on the menu, and you get a large order of that as well. You cannot go wrong with them. Honestly I have no tried any other food other than the steak and ribs, so I cannot accurately rate the other food such as the burgers, but with ribs and steak cheap as it is, why get anything else? (unless you bring your kids of course)

A few of my favorite steaks for me include the Steak Au Poivre (steak is pounded with pepper corn with a cognac sauces, gives a good hint of spiciness into the steak), Churrasco Chileno (skirt steak with fried onions AND eggs, WITH a sausage), Butcher steak (skirt steak either with mushrooms/onions or an herb butter sauce, both if which are great), Romanian butcher steak (skirt steak with sauteed mushrooms/onions) and rib eye (simple, yet delicious). Each of these steaks I mentioned cost ONLY $16 at most. Of course, the hungry person can get their 24oz steaks, Porterhouse and Cowboy steak.

Not a fine dining experience by any means, but it is BYOB. This is why the steak can be so cheap, no credit card machines, no servers, just good food.

I have brought many people to this place, and it continually does not disappoint.

Note: It is closed on Sundays, I learned that the hard way one time.

Reviewed 24 March 2016

I visit this place as often as I can. All of the dishes and portions are great and all available at a fair price. It's also a BYOB and there are no waiters, so a great way to save money. I've eaten almost everything on the menu since I've been going here for years and I've yet to have a bad meal. If you are looking for great food at a fair price, this is the place for you. If you are looking or ambiance, then you will need to look elsewhere. Closed on Sunday's.